+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 4 SOUTHAMPTON.

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 4 SOUTHAMPTON.

Just watched it and it was what said. Boys V men.
    Not their fault but they’re not seasoned professionals and the trialist from Bristol City was very very far over the hill ( and far away).

I'd have far more respect for MM if he addressed our glaring weakness in centre midfield. I know all about his vast experience at club and international level but I don't believe he would recognise a good footballer if one was handed to him on a plate. If he was given Modric the first thing he would ask him is, "how far can yer kick ball lad ?"

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Just watched it and it was what said. Boys V men.
    Not their fault but they’re not seasoned professionals and the trialist from Bristol City was very very far over the hill ( and far away).
    He was released by a very poor Bristol City side, who would have probably got relegated, if it wasn't for their good early season start.

I often peruse the Bristol City forum (otib) and they were happy to see him go.

Cue a 2-year contract for Marley Watkins...

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I wasn't to bothered, considering the team we put out. Only Phillips, Nelso and Pack with any experience. I think we'll be OK this season.
    Do you not think it is a worry that here we are, one more pre season game remaining, and we are putting a youth / reserve side out against a very good Southampton team? Hardly strung two passes together in the final third and only had one effort on goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He was released by a very poor Bristol City side, who would have probably got relegated, if it wasn't for their good early season start.

Apart from one run and two incidents of pressing that resulted in us gaining possession, he was pretty anonymous.

Saying that as an attacking force we are pretty anonymous all round.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Apart from one run and two incidents of pressing that resulted in us gaining possession, he was pretty anonymous.

I reckon he will definately be given a contract to sit in front of Bagan for protection.

A very , very worrying performance.

too many kids im afraid at this level is a recipe for relegation

“Don’t worry, lads. Kieffer’ll be back soon and yer can ‘oof it oop to ‘im…”

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Big Mick was going to take the Celtic job if we didn't give him a new contract.

Or something like that.

Yeah I remembered the rumour, probably started by his agent lol.

If it really was the case then they should have let him go and made long term plans instead of repeating the same mistakes.

Barnsley seem to be having a solid pre season, beating Rochdale and Sheffield Weds already.
    Signed and sold a couple of players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

He got my attention in the first 2 or 3 minutes closing down balls etc, so kept an eye on him for a bit. Nothing there that excites me.

Cue a 3 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post

We don't need him, as we have enough midfielders, all of whom are better than him. Ralls, Pack, Bacuna, Tomlin, Wintle, Colwill.

We don't need him, as we have enough midfielders, all of whom are better than him. Ralls, Pack, Bacuna, Tomlin, Wintle, Colwill.
    Isn't he a winger.

You've just named some CM and attacking midfielders mate 👍

I don't think we need him either I agree in that respect, but maybe another body in the group (not him) is needed though?

We'll get the covid excuse for this signing, have to take whats available with the budget etc, and in all honesty I'd rather we promoted form the youth if it's going to be a sub player/cover anyway.

No doubt a few will like him because he runs around like a mad man.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Isn't he a winger.

You've just named some CM and attacking midfielders mate ��

I don't think we need him either I agree in that respect, but maybe another body in the group (not him) is needed though?

We'll get the covid excuse for this signing, have to take whats available with the budget etc, and in all honesty I'd rather we promoted form the youth if it's going to be a sub player/cover anyway.

Totally agree, it's these kind of players we want off the books not bring into the club if we want to give youth a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Totally agree, it's these kind of players we want off the books not bring into the club if we want to give youth a chance.
    This is why I don't believe we are truly giving youth a chance, it's anyone who fits the wage structure.

We don't need another 30 year old bench warmer, and if Murphy isn't good enough to keep this journeyman out of the team he has to question himself wtf he is still doing here at this stage with out of contract players being brought in.

This is why I don't believe we are truly giving youth a chance, it's anyone who fits the wage structure.

We don't need another 30 year old bench warmer, and if Murphy isn't good enough to keep this journeyman out of the team he has to question himself wtf he is still doing here at this stage with out of contract players being brought in.
    I'll interested to see how many youngsters actually get time tbh. Thought Colwill should have had more time end of last season.

I'll interested to see how many youngsters actually get time tbh. Thought Colwill should have had more time end of last season.
    I agree.

We will probably go with experience from the off, which is fine, but the issue is when we bring in experience that isn't as good and then they start to get in the way of the kids, I'd much rather see Evans get 20 get 20 minutes at the end of a game than bring on Marley Watkins. I'm not knocking him personally, he might come in and be our player of the season, I just don't want us to sign him in the first place.

Isn't he a winger.

You've just named some CM and attacking midfielders mate ��

More McCarthy comments

Marley Watkins turned out for a second time for Cardiff City during this pre-season campaign on Tuesday night.

The one-cap Wales international played in the 5-0 drubbing of Bath City earlier in the summer but the intensity was ramped up again during the clash with Premier League opposition Southampton.

It prompted many to believe that City were on the verge of signing the former Bristol City and Norwich City forward, who has been without a club since leaving the former earlier this summer.

Mick McCarthy said he was pleased with how the player performed in the first half against Southampton, but made no guarantees over signing the free agent.

"The answer to that is I'm not sure," McCarthy said after the match.

"Marley asked if he could come in and train. I've known Marley a long time, I like him, he played at Barnsley and had a very good time.

"He's had a couple of injuries which have restricted him.

"I said, 'Look, you can come in and train' and, to be honest, with our lack of numbers it's been good to have him.

"I thought he did alright in the first half. But there's no promises on anything.

"But I thought he started the game really well. He did OK."

The Bluebirds have recruited free transfers James Collins, Ryan Wintle and Mark McGuinness already this summer, while Ryan Giles has penned a season-long loan deal in the Welsh capital.

McCarthy certainly appears happy with his lot, too, because he reiterated once again that he believes the Bluebirds' business to be done for the window.

"You can see there's not much action going on in the transfer market.

"I thought Mark McGuinness was the pick of the bunch today, he's played very well. I've no doubt he's going to be a very good player for us.

"Ryan Wintle, he's got a groin [injury], but he's done well. James Collins got a rest today, but he's got four goals and done well.

"But I don't see much action in the transfer market with us.

"We'll be going with pretty much what we have."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    More McCarthy comments

Marley Watkins turned out for a second time for Cardiff City during this pre-season campaign on Tuesday night.

The one-cap Wales international played in the 5-0 drubbing of Bath City earlier in the summer but the intensity was ramped up again during the clash with Premier League opposition Southampton.

It prompted many to believe that City were on the verge of signing the former Bristol City and Norwich City forward, who has been without a club since leaving the former earlier this summer.

Mick McCarthy said he was pleased with how the player performed in the first half against Southampton, but made no guarantees over signing the free agent.

"The answer to that is I'm not sure," McCarthy said after the match.

"Marley asked if he could come in and train. I've known Marley a long time, I like him, he played at Barnsley and had a very good time.

"He's had a couple of injuries which have restricted him.

"I said, 'Look, you can come in and train' and, to be honest, with our lack of numbers it's been good to have him.

"I thought he did alright in the first half. But there's no promises on anything.

"But I thought he started the game really well. He did OK."

The Bluebirds have recruited free transfers James Collins, Ryan Wintle and Mark McGuinness already this summer, while Ryan Giles has penned a season-long loan deal in the Welsh capital.

McCarthy certainly appears happy with his lot, too, because he reiterated once again that he believes the Bluebirds' business to be done for the window.

"I thought Mark McGuinness was the pick of the bunch today, he's played very well. I've no doubt he's going to be a very good player for us.

"Ryan Wintle, he's got a groin [injury], but he's done well. James Collins got a rest today, but he's got four goals and done well.

"We'll be going with pretty much what we have."
    If its training then great

Like I said, won't knock the lad just rather our own get the chances.

Don't see why he got an hour in place of one of our own either in a friendly game, that's strange as well if he isn't signing. But hey ho I'm not the manager.

I think MM is a wily old fox like NW was tbh.

And to add further, if he was only training why not just say that? Why make commentators call him trialist 24 like some big secret?

.. Not all of that is directed towards you Mike just rambling after reading the post.

in terms of attacking midfielders/ wingers we have Tomlin, Colwill, Whyte, Murphy and Giles.
    lots of question marks over those 5 for different reasons. but I agree that Watkins seems a bit like this season's Jonny Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    More McCarthy comments

"We'll be going with pretty much what we have."[/I]
    8 new signings - Birmingham, Blackpool, Luton, QPR
    7 new signings - Huddersfield
    5 signings - Coventry, Hull, Boro, Millwall, Posh
    4 - Cardiff
    3 - Bristol City, Preston, Stoke, Swansea
    2 - Fulham, Forest, WBA
    1 - Barnsley, Bournemouth
    0 - Derby, Reading, Blackburn, Sheff Utd

https://twitter.com/blues_breakdown/...02932342251525
    Still a few days to go but did anyone have us down in the top half of activity in summer window?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Whats is the matter with you lot on here !! IT WAS A BLOODY FRIENDLY. Dont watch if you cant take it. Or better still, go and follow another club like Swansea or Bristol City - see where that gets you.
    Cardiff play dire football . If we had beat Southampton 6-0 that fact wouldn't have changed.
    We are all allowed our opinions .
    Like you are yours...

If we actually do play the youngsters , that will be one glimmer of light...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Cardiff play dire football . If we had beat Southampton 6-0 that fact wouldn't have changed.
    We are all allowed our opinions .
    Like you are yours...
    Our football is terrible to watch, I can't work out if it's our mid fielders inability to pass, or the tactics and formation we're using.

Southampton were favourites last night and showed that but for me the most worrying display was against Exeter where we made them look like Brasil at times.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    I reckon he will definately be given a contract to sit in front of Bagan for protection.

A very , very worrying performance.

too many kids im afraid at this level is a recipe for relegation
    The only youngster likely to get a significant number of games is Bagan, the others are certainly backups.

First Team

Best bit of the performance was taking the knee and what appeared (though it was hard to hear) to be the crowd applauding.

Proud of that.