+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 4 SOUTHAMPTON.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v SOUTHAMPTON. ko 7pm

First half was admissable considering the starting line up, Southampton in charge but City gave a decent showing at least. The goal conceded was a heads gone moment from Ng but Harris should have been more aware to the fact he had space to bring the ball forward.

Second half a complete different story, City all at sea and Southampton just turned the screw and kept piling on the pressure, would not have begrudged them from scoring 6 or more. They made it look easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just think of all the lucky barstewards who can’t use the tinternet
    Hahaha

Just think of all the lucky barstewards who can’t use the tinternet
    They're ****ed, it's the ones that ain't got friends/family and access to free computers at the library that are ****ed

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Sooner people wake up to the drop in recruiting and playing standards and stop deluding themselves that we can get promoted with a load of kids and other peoples rejects the better.
    The criticism has been around for a few years now and is largely tied to the defenders and midfielders Warnock brought in with parachute payments, his spending choices have also restricted our budget to change things since, and overall playing philosophy of the club. It's the young players and more careful signings that change things around but will be take time.

Remember, i) it's pre-season and will be forgotten about after our first game and ii) everyone at the club knows about the issue are betting that the Championship is still more often Luton away than Swansea at home from last year.

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 4 SOUTHAMPTON.

That was awful.
    I know it's only a friendly against good quality opposition but we offered nothing, our midfield non existent and our defence all at sea without Morrison.
    Until both he and Moore come back we are going to struggle. Even then we will still be s very ordinary side .

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The criticism has been around for a few years now and is largely tied to the defenders and midfielders Warnock brought in with parachute payments, his spending choices have also restricted our budget to change things since, and overall playing philosophy of the club. It's the young players and more careful signings that change things around but will be take time.

Remember, i) it's pre-season and will be forgotten about after our first game and ii) everyone at the club knows about the issue are betting that the Championship is still more often Luton away than Swansea at home from last year.
    This hits the nail on the head RE: Warnock.

Think a lot of this board were in agreement when the Cardiff opted to give Warnock another crack at going for promotion with a Cardiff City team that required a complete new spine. Crazy to think that 2 years ago 10m was dropped on Flint and Glatzel alone.

Didn't we get stuffed in a friendly, the season we got promoted under Malky ?

Just really awful

If the press and long balls doesn't work, we literally have nothing going forward.

Once again passing and ball retention very very poor. No flair in midfield. We couldn't get Giles into the call. Played almost zero balls forward for someone to run on to.

And in the second half we completely lost our shape... The only shape we have played since Mick's been here. Bizarre

I feel sorry for the younger players coming into a team which doesn't like having the ball.

Looking at the players to come back... Of course we will be stronger, but none of the players coming back address the above issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Just really awful

If the press and long balls doesn't work, we literally have nothing going forward.

Once again passing and ball retention very very poor. No flair in midfield. We couldn't get Giles into the call. Played almost zero balls forward for someone to run on to.

And in the second half we completely lost our shape... The only shape we have played wince Mick's been here.

I feel sorry for the younger players coming into a team which doesn't like having the ball.
    A few times in the first half I noticed Bowen available in the midfield to carry yhr ball forward and we opted for the little dink over to play out wide and get the cross in. That's fine, but not EVERY move. We have to be intelligent enough to mix it up and realise when players are in better positions.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Just really awful

And in the second half we completely lost our shape... The only shape we have played since Mick's been here. Bizarre

Looking at the players to come back... Of course we will be stronger, but none of the players coming back address the above issues.
    The club’s Twitter feed said “Southampton seeing plenty of the ball” when I looked at it in the first half and you can imagine Mick McCarthy saying something like “these are much better than us at passing the ball, so it’s important we keep our discipline and shape, don’t over commit and then maybe we can nick something from a set piece” before the match - trouble is, he probably said the same thing before we played Cambridge, Forest Green and Exeter.

Didn't we get stuffed in a friendly, the season we got promoted under Malky ?
    Recall Wales losing 3 nil to Sweden in a friendly before euro 16…..still, can’t say I’m too excited about this season. Happy to put my neck out and say it’s going to be pretty mundane crap, at least we are used to it I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The club’s Twitter feed said “Southampton seeing plenty of the ball” when I looked at it in the first half and you can imagine Mick McCarthy saying something like “these are much better than us at passing the ball, so it’s important we keep our discipline and shape, don’t over commit and then maybe we can nick something from a set piece” before the match - trouble is, he probably said the same thing before we played Cambridge, Forest Green and Exeter.

Absolutely the same old same old, no movement, no pace, no creativity....

Whats is the matter with you lot on here !! IT WAS A BLOODY FRIENDLY. Dont watch if you cant take it. Or better still, go and follow another club like Swansea or Bristol City - see where that gets you.

First Team

I take most pre-season games with a pinch of salt whether we win or lose. What I sometimes cannot understand is the strategy behind some of the games we play.

Warnock's USA tour - why? We played, at best, against poor League 2 standard teams in blazing heat 4-5k miles away from the UK. How was that a good warm up (pardon the pun) for a Championship campaign.

Now McCarthy chooses a line up of kids and reserves for our last-but-one dress rehearsal for the Barnsley game. Why? I bet the team sheet for the Barnsley game looks nothing like that from today. So what exactly was the purpose? A semi-U23/reserve team mix got hammered by a Southampton team that played in second gear. Pointless. I'll say it - McCarthy out.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Whats is the matter with you lot on here !! IT WAS A BLOODY FRIENDLY. Dont watch if you cant take it. Or better still, go and follow another club like Swansea or Bristol City - see where that gets you.
    Will we suddenly play a different brand of football come the opening game?

People are making constructive remarks.

You try too hard.

The fact that this was a friendly is neither here nor there. We’ve carried on playing the same dross as we last season and what concerns me is that the changes in playing staff is not making any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Fair play, you are consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    The fact that this was a friendly is neither here nor there. We’ve carried on playing the same dross as we last season and what concerns me is that the changes in playing staff is not making any difference.
    McCarthy was a great choice to steady the ship after the Harris disaster but I'm still not sure why they didn't use that time to look at other options instead of panicking after a few gd results.

What's the fuss they didn't score 5

It cant help that all through preseason part of our spine has been missing. No Morrison to organise the defence, no Moore upfront and no consistency and creativity in the middle.
    Got to admire MM though for bringing through many youngsters but is it a case of too many coming through at the same time?
    Southampton were very good, but our shortcomings gave them the chance to be so.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Fair enough and it’s also true to say that the few remaining quality players were absent for one reason or another.
    Unfortunately though you just can’t think you’re going to compete at this level on the cheap and that’s what they seem to be trying to do.

The other thing I’m finding hard to avoid thinking is that MM doesn’t specially give a rats arse one way or another. He’s not going to argue about budgets and if he can blag it with a bunch of below average players that’ll be fine by him. He’ll give it a run if they pay him but if it goes completely tits up he’ll move n and forget it.

Didn’t see the game but I’m a huge fan of Adams

Think he’s a top player

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    McCarthy was a great choice to steady the ship after the Harris disaster but I'm still not sure why they didn't use that time to look at other options instead of panicking after a few gd results.
    Big Mick was going to take the Celtic job if we didn't give him a new contract.

Or something like that.

I wasn't to bothered, considering the team we put out. Only Phillips, Nelso and Pack with any experience. I think we'll be OK this season.