+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'The Hundred' That's where it's at

'The Hundred' That's where it's at

Superb to watch, but puzzled how the teams are put together, anybody help me understand ??

Re: 'The Hundred' That's where it's at

Is it? Are you supporting Welsh Fire and if so why because there wasn’t a single Welsh player in the team tonight?
    There was an auction a while back where different teams put in a bid for players.
    I don’t have a team to support in this so have no interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Is it? Are you supporting Welsh Fire and if so why because there wasn’t a single Welsh player in the team tonight?
    There was an auction a while back where different teams put in a bid for players.
    There have been Cardiff City teams with no welsh players so no difference.
    I've enjoyed the 2 Welsh Fire games more than I thought I would.

Its a chance to see world class cricketers in Cardiff whats not to enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Superb to watch, but puzzled how the teams are put together, anybody help me understand ??
    Try this link , if you have a few hours to spare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK2qKaC3VpM

That’s a daft argument. We barely have any local players in the City team and Wales have played with half born somewhere else. That would apply to Glamorgan too, it’s where they are based that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    That’s a daft argument. We barely have any local players in the City team and Wales have played with half born somewhere else. That would apply to Glamorgan too, it’s where they are based that count.
    Why’s it daft? Cardiff City have evolved over many decades born and grown out of the city. Welsh Fire could have been called anything. The word Welsh was added because a franchise was plonked in Cardiff. That’s it. If you can invest in that fine but it’s not for me.

Why’s it daft? Cardiff City have evolved over many decades born and grown out of the city. Welsh Fire could have been called anything. The word Welsh was added because a franchise was plonked in Cardiff. That’s it. If you can invest in that fine but it’s not for me.
    Its a brand new thing and has to start somewhere. The cricket is exciting, it is well produced and generating a decent atmosphere.

Give me this over county cricket any day.

Its everything that regional rugby should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Its a brand new thing and has to start somewhere. The cricket is exciting, it is well produced and generating a decent atmosphere.

Give me this over county cricket any day.

Its everything that regional rugby should be.
    If marketed properly T20 could be this with a local team in Glamorgan to support. You could have world class players playing for Glammy mixed in with current playing staff. It would simply need the removal of the restrictions regarding overseas players.
    Not difficult to organise. Maybe allow five top players to be signed to mix in.with current players. I don’t see why we needed a 16.4 over competition as well.

If marketed properly T20 could be this with a local team in Glamorgan to support. You could have world class players playing for Glammy mixed in with current playing staff. It would simply need the removal of the restrictions regarding overseas players.
    Not difficult to organise. Maybe allow five top players to be signed to mix in.with current players. I don’t see why we needed a 16.4 over competition as well.
    Its over my head but maybe this is the future of cricket as it looks to be the perfect balance.

T20 seems a bit short and 50 over games a bit long.

Anything longer Zzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Its over my head but maybe this is the future of cricket as it looks to be the perfect balance.

T20 seems a bit short and 50 over games a bit long.

Anything longer Zzzzzzzzz
    Agree. The major difference is it’s exciting, my kids play cricket but find most forms take too long to watch. All of my kids and wife love watching it. So it’s a winner in the money stakes and will be here to stay.

Shame Fire will lose its captain to the ashes but I’ve watched a few games and whilst I wanted Fire to win just because of the Cardiff connection I can’t say I’m a supporter of them yet. I can get to the Oval or Rose Bowl easier and that’s tempting as easier to go see and my connection to City doesn’t exist with these teams - so other connections like where I now live etc come in with a new set up.

I’ve bought tickets for the whole family to go see inv vs fire at the oval. So I’m biased.

Apart from when Kevin Pietersen is commentating, I'm enjoying the 100 a lot more than I thought I would. My favourite forms of the game are the "boring" four and five day ones, but good cricket is good cricket however it's played and I'd rate last night as terrific entertainment which had me supporting the Welsh Fire all of the way through. Now, if I were a Gloucestershire or Somerset fan, there's no way I'd be supporting the Welsh team, even though that's what the blazers think they should be doing. However, as a Welshman born and bred who has lived here for virtually all of my life, I have to support them.

I dont know about support them but I want Welsh fire to win.

T20 or the hundred isnt 'proper' cricket and even though I also want England and Glamorgan win in the shorter format im not that bothered I watch it for the entertainment.

Thats what this is entertainment watching the best players in the world. If it gets more youngsters interested and playing then im all for it in this format.

Id rather watch this side than watch 5 or 6 of Glamorgans line up have a go at it.

Just take the hundred and T20 as it is. Entertainment. Its not really to be taken seriously.

Dont you support an English football team?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Dont you support an English football team?
    I’m half English!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It isn’t daft at all but it’s just the norm. We support players that have no affinity to Cardiff. It’s quite weird but it works in all sports.

Imagine if we supported someone in the Olympics, competing for the UK but actually someone from the continent we paid a transfer fee for.

It’s easier if you don’t think about it and enjoy it for what it is.

I'm hoping that this tournament actually leads to a big improvement in the t20 blast from next year. The 100 ball concept is demented and crap.
    But at least the launch of the tournament has forced the ecb to join the rest of the world in integrating mens and womens tournaments, trying to attract families, lowering ticket prices and speeding up time between overs etc.

For some inexplicable reason the ecb and counties have failed to do these things for years, despite overwhelming evidence from every other cricket playing country that its the approach that works.
    Now that these things have been implemented for the hundred, there is no excuse for the counties not to take the same approach during the blast. Hopefully from next year we can see the counties getting out into their communities and attracting families to the blast comp.

"Welsh Fire" is a bit of a silly name, especially as they're meant to represent Somerset & Gloucestershire as well

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    "Welsh Fire" is a bit of a silly name, especially as they're meant to represent Somerset & Gloucestershire as well

I dont get why there is a mishmash of team names. We have cities - London, Manchester, B'ham. countries - Welsh fire, General areas - Northern and southern and then those named after a cricket ground - oval invisibles and somthing trent based.

It just seems a bit confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    I dont get why there is a mishmash of team names. We have cities - London, Manchester, B'ham. countries - Welsh fire, General areas - Northern and southern and then those named after a cricket ground - oval invisibles and somthing trent based.

It just seems a bit confused.
    Yeah, it’s a bit all over the shop. I was expecting with all the talk of focusing on cities the names would have focused on that.

I’m surprised they didn’t go with something “Western”-based for the Glam-Glos-Som franchise. I guess with those English county fans that are bothered with the tournament would look to follow or keep an eye out for another team (Southern Braves maybe) as they’re just as likely (or unlikely rather) to travel to Cardiff as they would be Southampton or even London.