+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bacuna aside......

Bacuna aside......

......and not including players representing the Republic of Ireland, our squad has more than a whiff of Brexit FC about it. No foreign players at all. I don't think that's healthy and it is reflected in the style of play. Yes, tonight was only a pre-season friendly against very good opposition, but it was all very safe and predictable, and has been for some time. Just think a mix of foreign and homegrown players would be good, just to see things done a little differently at times.

Re: Bacuna aside......

Bacuna, of course, was already in the country. It would be nice to know how far our scouting network extends. Since relegation, we had a punt on Glatzel but nothing after that (or have I missed someone?) as far as the continent is concerned. Even the trialist tonight is from just over the bridge. Maybe we had a look but there was no-one suitable.

reminder that Norwich picked up Emi Buendia from Getafe for £1.5 million.

Our scouting system seems to be limited to anyone who’s played for Ipswich and/or Republic of Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    ......and not including players representing the Republic of Ireland, our squad has more than a whiff of Brexit FC about it. No foreign players at all. I don't think that's healthy and it is reflected in the style of play. Yes, tonight was only a pre-season friendly against very good opposition, but it was all very safe and predictable, and has been for some time. Just think a mix of foreign and homegrown players would be good, just to see things done a little differently at times.
    Not sure what to say about this thread, apart from sectarianism is all all around us.
    We are ****ed!
    Bring on the paramilitary murals :(

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Our scouting system seems to be limited to anyone who’s played for Ipswich and/or Republic of Ireland!
    maybe a coincidence or just strange you mention ipswich, but when we played there years ago maybe the first season for a long while on a sunday we stayed the night before in a hotel and was joined for breakfast by a lot of youngsters aged maybe 10 and under all dressed in ipswich tracksuits from the south wales area

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    We don’t have a scouting network

You could hope this is positive plan, patching the squad and focusing on a long term youth development (which there is suggestion that we are going down that road but not sure how long it’ll last) or you could see it as Cardiff city at it’s usual, not planning and just hoping for the best.

We’ll see by January.

I don't know about Brexit, but it smacks of a team who are now just relying on kids and players from Leagues 1 &2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    ......and not including players representing the Republic of Ireland, our squad has more than a whiff of Brexit FC about it.
    No foreign players at all. I don't think that's healthy and it is reflected in the style of play. Yes, tonight was only a pre-season friendly against very good opposition, but it was all very safe and predictable, and has been for some time. Just think a mix of foreign and homegrown players would be good, just to see things done a little differently at times.
    Our forays into Europe for foreign players have almost always ended in us overpaying for flops. Glatzel most recently who can forget Corneilious or goal machine Velijonja. Because i live in Shrewsbury I remember our FA cup game against them a few seasons back featuring that useless Italian forward we got from Man Utd, can't remember his name and an equally useless Romanian centre back. Wasn't there a Spanish forward who hardly ever played for us and then started scoring when he went back to Spain,can't remember his name either.

Recruiting players from Europe has been an unmitigated disaster for us and anyone suggesting we should continue the policy needs to be taken outside and shot. Let's stick to crude cloggers from Ipswich and Ireland, in the case of McGuiness he covers both.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Our forays into Europe for foreign players have almost always ended in us overpaying for flops. Glatzel most recently who can forget Corneilious or goal machine Velijonja. Because i live in Shrewsbury I remember our FA cup game against them a few seasons back featuring that useless Italian forward we got from Man Utd, can't remember his name and an equally useless Romanian centre back. Wasn't there a Spanish forward who hardly ever played for us and then started scoring when he went back to Spain,can't remember his name either.

Recruiting players from Europe has been an unmitigated disaster for us and anyone suggesting we should continue the policy needs to be taken outside and shot. Let's stick to crude cloggers from Ipswich and Ireland, in the case of McGuiness he covers both.
    Ken Zohore. Six month purple patch and £8m profit.

From those magical days when our European scouting network stretched from Kortrijk to Sarajevo!

Might I add Manga, Camarasa and Gary Medel? Also, Loevens?