+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Despondency

Re: Despondency

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I feel much the same but was also surprisingly unexcited about the return of football during lockdown as well. Then we spanked Leeds 3-0 and I was all over it again
    There's the cure to despondency creep a jolly good spanking session , that should get folks hardened, and up for it .

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What's the name of your "Happy Pills"
    No happy pills but the acceptance of worrying about what I can control and change and not worrying about what I cant or don't want to control

Football is my release from a stressful job where I can get to shout rubbish at complete strangers for 90 minutes - never really minded if it was in the prem or the old 4th division to be honest.

A little bit of last night reminded me why the journey is better than the destination when those Southampton feckers kept falling over as if there were snipers in the stands.

Bring on Barnsley - can't wait 👍

I've said that for years re tickets in terms of giving them to schools to generate that interest and a % would get the bug and come again but the shirt is a great idea 👍

I hate the football. Possibly more than I should . Not bothered about getting back .
    Even if we played Tomlin I would look forward to it . A couple of lads emerging from the youth sides would also be a spark.
    As long as they can kick the ball high n the air .

It's a metaphor for life. There will be good times and bad times. The bad times make us appreciate the good times. And after being deprived of such things there's all the more reason to appreciate attending games even if they are not top notch.
    We'll all be dead eventually so just get on with it, I say

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The most ludicrous thing of all is that anyone who has seen the current crop of youngsters coming up through the age groups, will now that the methods they were taught during that time were completely contradictory to what awaits in the first team. It's easy just to look at the careers of the many talented footballers who have come through the ranks at Cardiff in the last decade and more and say they weren't good enough because they didn't break into the first team, but all that proves is that they weren't suited to the "Cardiff way".

Keenan Patten's older brother Robbie was released by the club after injury disrupted his progress and I know he had teams interested in him at National League level, at least, who didn't offer him a contract because his footballing education at Cardiff had taught him to play the game the "right way". He was too much a footballer for the way these clubs were going to play!

It's been a joke at Cardiff in recent years - you get players coming through who are unsuited to the way the first team has played in the last ten years or so. Therefore, you have to ask why are we spending so much on the Academy?

We may, finally, be about to see a return on all of that investment, but my impression is that nearly all of the promising crop of players coming through will fail to fulfil their potential if the first team continues to play like it does.

Wonder what he's up to now, oh look he's playing for Barry! He was capped 3 times for the Welsh u19s! Come off it, the players we produce are crap. Like Patten, they barely get capped at international level. I remember people raving about Ratfcliffe cause he looked good at youth level despite being on loan at fecking Barry and being kept out of the Wales side by Przybek. Although he's still young, he would be on loan at national league sides like Pryzbek has but he's obviously not good enough.

I don't want to shit on these kids cause they are being poorly coached regardless of what level they're at, but let's not pretend the stuff they play at youth level is worlds away from the first team, that's nonsense. If we had capable coaches or players, either the players would make it elsewhere (despite your LAUGHABLE comment about Patten) or the coaches would be snapped up by other clubs that are invested in youth development. We have a category 2 academy remember, there's little in the way of us stopping players being snatched

The academy is a joke and a waste of money. I am honestly surprised Tan hasn't scrapped it already

I still think this year will be judged as being an interesting one in hindsight.

Smithies
    Sang NG Morrison Nelson Bagan
    Wintle Ralls
    Giles
    Moore Collins/Harris

Not a bad starting XI and if the new kids can get 12+ games from the season it sets us up nicely going forward. We finished 8th last year, three teams ahead of us should be worse this year and only five teams behind us will be significantly better. 10th place seems a fair prediction with outside shot at play-offs again.

I must admit, I'm getting pretty bored now. Our level of success is what I dreamed of. We got back to where we were when I started. But the football is dreadful. The owner and the management are uninspiring. We can be so much more. But we're not. Football has moved on and we haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I feel much the same but was also surprisingly unexcited about the return of football during lockdown as well. Then we spanked Leeds 3-0 and I was all over it again
    You were there, the only time we’ve beaten Leeds 3-0??? ...........in 1924 f*ck me Del, you’re a dark horse, I had you down as late 30s

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I must admit, I'm getting pretty bored now. Our level of success is what I dreamed of. We got back to where we were when I started. But the football is dreadful. The owner and the management are uninspiring. We can be so much more. But we're not. Football has moved on and we haven't.
    The club seems to be drifting a bit.
    Granted, there is the effect of the pandemic, but that’s effected everyone.
    Vincent Tan has supported the club financially and shown commitment, but I can’t help feeling that the management of the club needs a shake up.

I didn't go last night and I won't be there Saturday for family reasons.
    But I went on the train to Bath and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    If you went back in the really shite years it was never really about quality of performance.
    I'm looking forward to the season being with my son brother and mates and following the City home and away hopefully

we are a mid table championship team, we could push for the Prem, in the late 80's who would have thought we would be saying that

Of course we have been stuck at this point for a while, is it boring now ? ? ??

I feel when we were in the 4th, we had dreams, we knew we could be better, we dreamt to competing with the big boys, we have now had that taste and it didnt wok out ( Twice ) where do we go now ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You were there, the only time we’ve beaten Leeds 3-0??? ...........in 1924 f*ck me Del, you’re a dark horse, I had you down as late 30s
    I could have sworn it was 3-0

Next you'll be telling me we lost the FA Cup final against Portsmouth

Is Despondency anywhere near Rotherham ?

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    They’ve got to sort the ticketing fiasco out otherwise the less determined just won’t bother.

Remember when you could just turn up and hand a tenner over at the turnstiles
    We are living in the 21st century now with a modern automated stadium with bar code access for tickets/cards. However the ticket office is always open on the day of the game and they have cash ticket booths open outside the ground before every game. There is absolutely no reason why people cant just turn up and pay on the day. Nothing is ever quite as bad as some people make out. Also, at the moment the club have absolutely no idea how many people they can let in on August 7th, so can not possibly advertise whether general sale tickets will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I didn't go last night and I won't be there Saturday for family reasons.
    But I went on the train to Bath and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    If you went back in the really shite years it was never really about quality of performance.
    I'm looking forward to the season being with my son brother and mates and following the City home and away hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Not despondent at all - absolutely delighted to be back in the stadium last night - no problem getting tickets no problem getting in and the stewards were all good.

Plus points for me were McGuiness and Bowen, the clapping off of the team at the end and the applause for the taking the knee.

Are we going to get promoted - no
    Are we going to see a change of plan from the club - no
    Are we going to see a change in playing style - no
    Are we going to see improved comms from the club - no

And as I can't massively influence the above I will continue doing what I am doing and go through the turnstiles and support those on the pitch.

As for being despondent - that maybe created by spending too much time on this board as there is a minority of regular posters who do nothing but moan about everything to do with the club and derail other posts with so called funny quips about things they are unhappy with

Just my mostly irrelevant opinion but if I was that unhappy I wouldn't go anywhere near what was making me unhappy in the first place
    Excellent post. There are people on this board who have been moaning about City for so long, they are unable to shake themselves out of it, see anything that the club/team does as good, think it is the normal thing to do and that every else agrees with them. Whereas they are really only an insignificant minority of the overall fanbase, comprising about 25-30 people at most.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    We are living in the 21st century now with a modern automated stadium with bar code access for tickets/cards. However the ticket office is always open on the day of the game and they have cash ticket booths open outside the ground before every game. There is absolutely no reason why people cant just turn up and pay on the day. Nothing is ever quite as bad as some people make out. Also, at the moment the club have absolutely no idea how many people they can let in on August 7th, so can not possibly advertise whether general sale tickets will be available.

So you’re saying it’s DUCKFORD’S and his cronies fault ?

Because every other club is selling tickets, even our six fingered friends down west

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    So you’re saying it’s DUCKFORD’S and his cronies fault ?

Because every other club is selling tickets, even our six fingered friends down west
    God it must be absolutely exhausting being you

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post

Wonder what he's up to now, oh look he's playing for Barry! He was capped 3 times for the Welsh u19s! Come off it, the players we produce are crap. Like Patten, they barely get capped at international level. I remember people raving about Ratfcliffe cause he looked good at youth level despite being on loan at fecking Barry and being kept out of the Wales side by Przybek. Although he's still young, he would be on loan at national league sides like Pryzbek has but he's obviously not good enough.

I don't want to shit on these kids cause they are being poorly coached regardless of what level they're at, but let's not pretend the stuff they play at youth level is worlds away from the first team, that's nonsense. If we had capable coaches or players, either the players would make it elsewhere (despite your LAUGHABLE comment about Patten) or the coaches would be snapped up by other clubs that are invested in youth development. We have a category 2 academy remember, there's little in the way of us stopping players being snatched

The academy is a joke and a waste of money. I am honestly surprised Tan hasn't scrapped it already
    I've been wrong about the Academy and the youngsters that come through it in the past and I'm sure I will be again - I'm also probably a bit naive in my thinking in championing our young players as much as I do. However, I'll tell you something, I'd much rather have my attitude towards youth development at City than yours.

You say you "don't want to shit on these kids" and then go on to do precisely that - more than that, is there any need to adopt such a sneering and cynical style while doing so?

Whether by accident or design, you've completely missed my point about Robbie Patten. I acknowledged that injuries had affected his time at the club (he missed an awful lot of football in his late teens, so was always likely to be let go by City) and my point was about him being coached in a way that people at good quality non league sides did not think was best suited for the style of play they favoured.

Do you watch much age group football at City? Judging by your opinion that the way our youth sides play is not too far away from how our senior side plays, I suspect not.

Here's another anecdote concerning something I overheard at game between City and Colchester Under 18s (we had players like George Ratcliffe, Sam Bowen, Keenan Patten, Keiron Evans, Isaak Davies and, possibly, Rubin Colwill in our squad that day). City were 5-0 up at half time and I listened in on a conversation between someone who was obviously very clued up about youth football and who worked for Colchester, or had done in the recent past, talking to the parents of one of their players that day. One of the things he said was that we may be getting well beat, but I can still appreciate the football Cardiff have played today. Year in, year out, Cardiff play the most entertaining and skilful football I see from an opposition team and I always look forward to our matches against them.

It was as much as I could do not to blurt out "you haven't seen our first team play then?". Do you honestly think anyone at another Championship club has said something similar about our senior side in the last ten years? There might be an acknowledgment of our physicality, about how we're difficult to play against and how dangerous we are from set pieces, but envy at the quality of our football? Really?

My message was about the absurdity of having an Academy geared to play one way and a first team set up to play in a manner which is almost completely opposite to it - dismissing every young player the club has produced since Aaron Ramsey as not good enough is just lazy thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Try hard.

How many players have come through our academy in the last 10 years and gone on to play league football for us or another club?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    How many players have come through our academy in the last 10 years and gone on to play league football for us or another club?
    You're just taking the piss now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardif...3s_and_Academy

Matondo, John, Harris, Oshilaja, Lockyer, Poole, Yorwerth, James

We seem adept at creating lower league centre backs