+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Double Standards?

  1. #1

    Double Standards?

    Simone Biles - praise for having the guts to pull out of Olympics because of mental health problems.

    Naomi Osaka - thrown out of a grand slam and withdrew from Wimbledon because mental health problems led her not to give press conferences. Crucified by media and Tennis authorities.

  2. #2

    Re: Double Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Simone Biles - praise for having the guts to pull out of Olympics because of mental health problems.

    Naomi Osaka - thrown out of a grand slam and withdrew from Wimbledon because mental health problems led her not to give press conferences. Crucified by media and Tennis authorities.
    Nothing to add at all - well said.

  3. #3

    Re: Double Standards?

    Hopefully what Osaka had to go through has begun to change attitudes.

  4. #4

    Re: Double Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Hopefully what Osaka had to go through has begun to change attitudes.
    What he said

  5. #5

    Re: Double Standards?

    Isn't the difference that Biles withdrew from the sport where as Osaka wanted to take part in the sport but miss the pr/marketing stuff afterwards

  6. #6

    Re: Double Standards?

    Yes it is.

    There is a difference between Biles and Osaka situations. The PR stuff goes with the territory but Osaka must have been, understandably, too upset to face the press.
    "Mental health" is wide ranging.

    Slightly OT but I think relevant, I just watched a piece in "Olympics today at the games" regarding the SB withdrawal.
    The music they used as background was in my opinion so over the top, if you hadn't known what was going on before, you'd swear someone had died.

    To be the best in your sport is tough.
    The possibility of failure is high but also the rewards are high.

    Do people really want to watch this stuff rammed down their throats time and time again, often after having a shit day in work?

    Life is tough. Period.

  7. #7

    Re: Double Standards?

    Iíd have more sympathy for her mental health and failure to deal with the media if she didnít have her own Netflix series.

  8. #8

    Re: Double Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Iíd have more sympathy for her mental health and failure to deal with the media if she didnít have her own Netflix series.
    The cynic in me thinks she just did one event in the team competition to make sure she got a medal.

  9. #9

    Re: Double Standards?

    Always look after your health.

    Only thing I didn't understand with Biles is why not pull out pre Olympics, doesn't seem its something recent, I'm assuming the place would have gone to someone else who could have fulfilled their own dream.

  10. #10

    Re: Double Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I’d have more sympathy for her mental health and failure to deal with the media if she didn’t have her own Netflix series.
    She didn't say anything about the media being an issue. What you've done here is conflate the separate Osaka and Biles issues so you can make a point

  11. #11

    Re: Double Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The cynic in me thinks she just did one event in the team competition to make sure she got a medal.
    She's won 25 olympic or world champ golds. I think she'll be OK without another.

  12. #12

    Re: Double Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Always look after your health.

    Only thing I didn't understand with Biles is why not pull out pre Olympics, doesn't seem its something recent, I'm assuming the place would have gone to someone else who could have fulfilled their own dream.
    She's been competing relatively well, and every gymnast watching says she missed her turn in the vault, she got lost in the air which they all say is seriously scary as you can do severe damage, especially with the stuff she does. Beth Tweddle called it immediately. If Biles has lost her bottle, then she should pull out.

    I've had similar things playing cricket, I got the yips for a few years and I couldn't bowl. At all. I completely forgot when to release the ball. In my case, I couldn't bowl or get out of an over, which was heartbreaking but I wasn't going to hurt myself. It was definitely the lowest I've ever felt though. Fixed it eventually but it took years. Biles is going to throw herself in the air and then has got to land it without injury, and she can't pull out when she's in the air.

    She's got sod all to prove to anyone, she's won so much, she can do what she likes. Re "letting the team down", she wasn't scoring high enough individually to beat Russia (who shouldn't be there anyway), and did the right thing by letting her teammate compete. She'd really be letting the team down by continuing to compete and posting scores below her capability.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •