Mike Hendrick must have tore his hair out at times, because he’d bowl over after over where you could cover where the ball pitched with a handkerchief and then Botham would come on, bowl a half tracker and take a wicket - it was little wonder the cricketing Lord was known as golden bollocks in the England dressing room for a while in the late seventies! In saying that, even back then, I thought Hendrick suffered because he had a worse case of that quick bowler’s dislike of being driven to the boundary than most, whereas Botham was prepared to experiment and gained his reward by pitching the ball up that bit further.

Although they were both still great bowlers, Anderson and Broad were quite like Hendrick in that they’d often be criticised for being that little bit short of a length in helpful conditions - in recent years though, they’ve changed their natural length a little and, I believe, they’re better bowlers for it.

None of this is to belittle Mike Hendrick, he was a fine bowler, but maybe he could have been a better one with a little adjustment to his action. Also, I remember Hendrick on TMS, he came over well and seemed to talk a lot of sense - it was no surprise that he became a respected coach.

RIP