Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staff Wanted

Staff Wanted

In pretty much every restaurant I’ve seen

Hospitality massively struggling at the moment

Re: Staff Wanted

Thought it was going to be “The Ticket Office”

If it was the City be careful what you apply for.

You might want a carefree cleaning job and be running the whole show within 6 months because you turned up one day wearing lucky red on the one day a year Vinny roles into town. Be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thought it was going to be “The Ticket Office”
    Thought it was going to be Derby FC

Thought it was going to be midfielders who can pass the ball

This is the fall out from Furlough.
    People on it which was fine whist their industry was shut down.
    Many found alternative employment and had 2x incomes at the same time.

Most have stayed on with the new seemingly stable employment and not returned to the original Job when that re opened.

I don’t blame them looking after their own and they doing nothing wrong, but its it’s added further strain to those economies who can’t operate properly because of staff issues and people not returning to the job or industry.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    This is the fall out from Furlough.
    People on it which was fine whist their industry was shut down.
    Many found alternative employment and had 2x incomes at the same time.

Most have stayed on with the new seemingly stable employment and not returned to the original Job when that re opened.

I don’t blame them looking after their own and they doing nothing wrong, but its it’s added further strain to those economies who can’t operate properly because of staff issues and people not returning to the job or industry.
    Also Brexit. The young waitresses from Romania and Poland, who always looked beautiful, and had those lovely accents and were often quite flirty have now moved back or onwards. Their replacements are still beautiful and with lovely accents, but are stuck in Warsaw and Bucharest.

My oldest daughter was contacted by a Agency ( we know the manager ) and asked did she have any friends who wanted some work, had to be 18 ( so we guessed it was bar work ) paying £9.50 a hour, she has been asked to work every night for the last 2 weeks and next 2 weeks ( she was pinged so had to turn down the last 8 days ) 3pm to 12

her and a few mates filled in the forms, then another Agency offered them work ( we guess the 1st agency has a mole who is passing details on to this other agency )

they just cannot get the staff for these events, be it the bar at gigs or running around at weddings

so she now has 4 X " 0 hour jobs " ( though her 2 swim teaching jobs have regular hours, but are not contracted ) which i know 0 hour contracts get a bad raps, but in the right place, they work well ( in this case as a student it does for her )

First Team

How's that Brexit working out for you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    How's that Brexit working out for you guys?
    Hopefully wages going up 👍.
    You might say prices will go up too. But surely that’s better than exploiting cheap foreign workers.
    Some of which were trafficked and led into a life of slavery.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Hopefully wages going up ��.
    You might say prices will go up too. But surely that’s better than exploiting cheap foreign workers.
    Hmm, seems not: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56582566

Information on likely affected sectors: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-by-industry/

First Team

You're a migrant (like me) too. Do you feel exploited?

You're a migrant (like me) too. Do you feel exploited?
    I certainly do not.
    If I did work in comparable hospitality Stateside though..I’ve no doubt that it would certainly pay more than it does back home.

First Team

I certainly do not.
    If I did work in comparable hospitality Stateside though..I’ve no doubt that it would certainly pay more than it does back home.
    Did you know the federal minimum cash wage in hospitality is $2.13? And the federal minimum cash plus tip wage in hospitality is $7.25? https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/sta...um-wage/tipped

In the UK the minimum wage for a 21+ year old is GBP8.36 ($11.36 equivalent). https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

First Team

On the modern slavery point, don't you think that most are not EU nationals coming through legal channels but more likely people entering illegally with no legal right to work?

First Team

On the modern slavery point, don't you think that most are not EU nationals coming through legal channels but more likely people entering illegally with no legal right to work? The two nationalities most exploited based on arrest data are Albanians and Vietnamese.

Did you know the federal minimum cash wage in hospitality is $2.13? And the federal minimum cash plus tip wage in hospitality is $7.25? https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/sta...um-wage/tipped

In the UK the minimum wage for a 21+ year old is GBP8.36 ($11.36 equivalent). https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
    I’m sure that you are aware of how lucrative a “career” in hospitality is in the US.
    Took a while to get my head around the annoyance of tipping well, but a minimum of 20% it has been for at least 17 years.

People in hospitality are payed very very well here, it’s comparative to wages and cost of housing/rent and groceries though.

My Sister in law in Columbus OH, not payed as well in that industry but relative to any other industry there.

On the modern slavery point, don't you think that most are not EU nationals coming through legal channels but more likely people entering illegally with no legal right to work? The two nationalities most exploited based on arrest data are Albanians and Vietnamese.
    Yeah, I said cheap foreign labor.

Brexit is done.
    Do you intend using Brexit as a yardstick for every success or more likely every failure from here in out?

Hopefully wages going up 👍.
    There are many strong arguments for Brexit, but trafficking and coercing eastern Europeans in to the sex trade isn't really one of them i'd say

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    My oldest daughter was contacted by a Agency ( we know the manager ) and asked did she have any friends who wanted some work, had to be 18 ( so we guessed it was bar work ) paying £9.50 a hour, she has been asked to work every night for the last 2 weeks and next 2 weeks ( she was pinged so had to turn down the last 8 days ) 3pm to 12

her and a few mates filled in the forms, then another Agency offered them work ( we guess the 1st agency has a mole who is passing details on to this other agency )

they just cannot get the staff for these events, be it the bar at gigs or running around at weddings

so she now has 4 X " 0 hour jobs " ( though her 2 swim teaching jobs have regular hours, but are not contracted ) which i know 0 hour contracts get a bad raps, but in the right place, they work well ( in this case as a student it does for her )
    What's the name of the Agencies BM?

Yeah, I said cheap foreign labor.

Brexit is done.
    Do you intend using Brexit as a yardstick for every success or more likely every failure from here in out?
    You're pretty free and easy with your opinions on Brexit for someone who lives 3500 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You're pretty free and easy with your opinions on Brexit for someone who lives 3500 miles away
    Have you not offered your opinion on American politics?

Regardless.

Wales is the home of my heart.
    Where my Dad and my Brother live.
    Where I’d like to return to.
    Where I tried and couldn’t qualify to get a visa for my (then 15 years married) Wife because we didn’t have £65k in the bank.

Pass muster with you now you snotty t**t?

Regardless.

Where I tried and couldn’t qualify to get a visa for my (then 15 years married) Wife because we didn’t have £65k in the bank.

Well played 👏

My kids cut their teeth in the service industry after we emigrated to Canada. They made an extraordinary amount of money…. tiny hourly wage but the tips were out of this world… it wasn’t unusual for them to make $2000 a week all in.

Canadians typically tip 20% on any service bill… scared me at first but now second nature. A pint of beer is $8-$10 …. It soon mounts up… everything is table service… there is no queuing at a bar!

Regardless.

Not really sure what any of that has got to do with the successes and failures of Brexit, and don't be so moody.