+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: very O/T: plant based food

Re: very O/T: plant based food

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Very nice burgers. Expensive they are though which is a drag as meat is much more expensive to produce than veggie/vegan stuff. There's also an element of them 'cashing in' on something trendy.

McDonalds are way behind.
    Well worth downloading the burger king app. They have a deals section on there, pretty much the same deals on there all the time. One of the deals is a whopper/plant based whopper or royale/vegan royale meal for 3.99. Just show the code when you order and get the discount . I'm way too tight to pay the regular burger king prices myself

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    quorn mince with beef oxo's that made me chuckle

it caused a bit of a uproar in the vegan world when it launched, thats why the Royale is labelled Vegan On the menu next to the plant based whopper it has a * and in very small print its stated its cooked with the meat
    It makes perfect sense to me, although a few people do consider it very strange 🤣🤣

Don't think I could ever be a full veggie, but trying to drastically cut back on my meat intake.

Ben & Jerry’s vegan ice cream supposed to be good too

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    here's a Friday night treat for you https://www.gotnobeef.co.uk/ absolutely awesome
    Thanks - interesting!

Although I find that menu a bit confusing? So it's a vegan restaurant, but there is nothing about the menu that suggests you are getting an alternative to actual chicken. It is described as buttermilk fried chicken, but obviously not chicken. So what is it? I know its a vegan restaurant so you should know it isn'y actually chicken, but it wouldn't hurt for them to tell you what it actually is!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    It makes perfect sense to me, although a few people do consider it very strange 🤣🤣

Don't think I could ever be a full veggie, but trying to drastically cut back on my meat intake.
    This is my likely target.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    This is my likely target.
    All helps doesn't it

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    All helps doesn't it
    Definitely.

Just had some vegan chicken nuggets in pizza hut. Not sure how people rate them but if that's the kind of thing I can expect instead of real chicken I can definitely sub out a few meals a week and replace them with this kind of thing, weren't bad, know from the moment they touch your lips they aint chicken and immediately noticed how soft they were.. But they passed.

Definitely.

Just had some vegan chicken nuggets in pizza hut. Not sure how people rate them but if that's the kind of thing I can expect instead of real chicken I can definitely sub out a few meals a week and replace them with this kind of thing, weren't bad, know from the moment they touch your lips they aint chicken and immediately noticed how soft they were.. But they passed.
    Sounds like an improvement on some City players.

Definitely.

Just had some vegan chicken nuggets in pizza hut. Not sure how people rate them but if that's the kind of thing I can expect instead of real chicken I can definitely sub out a few meals a week and replace them with this kind of thing, weren't bad, know from the moment they touch your lips they aint chicken and immediately noticed how soft they were.. But they PASSED.

Gently, or with some effort ?

Did you need cream after ?

Had plant pioneers vegan steaks today. Not unpleasant but very obviously not steak and the texture was a bit odd. Whereas the burgers really were incredibly close to the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Had plant pioneers vegan steaks today. Not unpleasant but very obviously not steak and the texture was a bit odd. Whereas the burgers really were incredibly close to the real thing.
    try vivera for a steak " experience "

we have a vivera steak, chunky chips, peas, onion rings and a pepper sauce, its as close as steak night as we get

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Thanks - interesting!

Although I find that menu a bit confusing? So it's a vegan restaurant, but there is nothing about the menu that suggests you are getting an alternative to actual chicken. It is described as buttermilk fried chicken, but obviously not chicken. So what is it? I know its a vegan restaurant so you should know it isn'y actually chicken, but it wouldn't hurt for them to tell you what it actually is!
    I like the look of that place . I will give it a go and ask the question.

I tried chicken in eewoo in Bristol , it was shockingly bad. They have a great following I found the food very poor.

We did a chilli con carne special today using beyond meat mince , it was disappointing , a bit rubbery . Not like their burgers which are superb.

Try Richmonds sausages , they are quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I like the look of that place . I will give it a go and ask the question.

I tried chicken in eewoo in Bristol , it was shockingly bad. They have a great following I found the food very poor.

We did a chilli con carne special today using beyond meat mince , it was disappointing , a bit rubbery . Not like their burgers which are superb.

Try Richmonds sausages , they are quality.
    The only veggie mince I like is Tesco's own.

I’ve been trying to eat less meat and this recipe book is by far the best source for veggies recipes, not too difficult but lots of flavour in all of them -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ottolenghi-.../dp/1785038931

I don’t mind meat substitutes but I prefer doing something with vegetables rather than just doing a like for like.

we have alot of veggie / vegan books

we were recommended this one by a Vegan Chef in Disney

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Comfo...c=1&th=1&psc=1

it is a great book, we had the Orange Tofu dish last night from it

my girlfriend is vegetarian on 2-3 days a month for cultural reasons, and she cooks some incredible vegetarian/vegan food.
    notably when she's cooking vegetarian it isn't trying to be like a meat substitute, but accentuating what's good about the ingredients instead, and I think it's all the better for it.
    although granted if you were veggie the whole time you'd probably want some more variety

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    my girlfriend is vegetarian on 2-3 days a month for cultural reasons, and she cooks some incredible vegetarian/vegan food.
    notably when she's cooking vegetarian it isn't trying to be like a meat substitute, but accentuating what's good about the ingredients instead, and I think it's all the better for it.
    although granted if you were veggie the whole time you'd probably want some more variety
    Understood and I do plenty of that myself, but some of the meat subs are excellent so wanted to see what others had been impressed with because until recently it was a section of the supermarket I'd ignored

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we have alot of veggie / vegan books

we were recommended this one by a Vegan Chef in Disney

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Comfo...c=1&th=1&psc=1

it is a great book, we had the Orange Tofu dish last night from it
    Will give this a try

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I’ve been trying to eat less meat and this recipe book is by far the best source for veggies recipes, not too difficult but lots of flavour in all of them -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ottolenghi-.../dp/1785038931

I don’t mind meat substitutes but I prefer doing something with vegetables rather than just doing a like for like.
    We both agreed we would rather have vegetable chilli than the pretend meat .

You have to try everything to know what is good and what is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    We both agreed we would rather have vegetable chilli than the pretend meat .

You have to try everything to know what is good and what is not.
    I like the meat replacements too, the Linda McCartney burgers are good and the This stuff is nice too.

Had Vivera shwarma kebab. Tasted great - not really like the "real thing" but that is probably a positive. Very low in carbs which is good for me, but it has a lot of crap in it too and I'm not a fan of soya protein. I'd have it again tho. The Beyond Meat bugers are still the best "replacement" I've had tho.

I'll give This Stuff a go - fairly sure I've seen their "bacon" in my local shop.