+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: very O/T: plant based food

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

very O/T: plant based food

Anyone got any favourite vegan substitutes? I'm not vegan, but my diet is Keto and I try quite a few vegan things just to mix it up as they often have the right sort of nutritional profile.

I had Beyond Meat Plant Based Burgers today: £5 for 2 at sainsburys. They were awesome! To be honest they've got a bit too much filth in them for my liking - a load of crappy rapeseed oil, as well as maltodextrin, so reluctantly I'll not get them again but they really are very very good to eat.

Anyone got any other favourite meat replacements?

International

Re: very O/T: plant based food

I find minced steak is a very good substitute for quorn. I use it all the time. no additives or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I find minced steak is a very good substitute for quorn. I use it all the time. no additives or anything.
    ...is the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    ...is the right answer.
    Is it tho? I asked for suggestions for meat substitutes, because some of them are very good. It's not because I disagree with meat eating: in fact it's the opposite, I eat far too much meat really so I just want a bit more variation in my diet.

There is nothing wrong with minced steak and I agree it is very healthy. But it's meat. So why do you think it is the "right" answer to a request for meat substitutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Is it tho? I asked for suggestions for meat substitutes, because some of them are very good. It's not because I disagree with meat eating: in fact it's the opposite, I eat far too much meat really so I just want a bit more variation in my diet.

There is nothing wrong with minced steak and I agree it is very healthy. But it's meat. So why do you think it is the "right" answer to a request for meat substitutes?
    Because some people think that anything which is different to what they think it should be is wrong. There's a few on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Because some people think that anything which is different to what they think it should be is wrong. There's a few on this board.
    No there's not !

That's pensioners for you.

Swimming against the tide on here.

Anyone got any favourite vegan substitutes? I'm not vegan, but my diet is Keto and I try quite a few vegan things just to mix it up as they often have the right sort of nutritional profile.

I had Beyond Meat Plant Based Burgers today: £5 for 2 at sainsburys. They were awesome! To be honest they've got a bit too much filth in them for my liking - a load of crappy rapeseed oil, as well as maltodextrin, so reluctantly I'll not get them again but they really are very very good to eat.

Anyone got any other favourite meat replacements?
    This is amazing as a chicken substitute

https://www.thevegetarianbutcher.co....the-cluck.html

Thanks - will give it a go. I've made seitan/wheat meat before which was fun and a decent substitute, but quite a lot of faff.

Thanks - will give it a go. I've made seitan/wheat meat before which was fun and a decent substitute, but quite a lot of faff.
    These are banging if you crisp them up nicely, they make fajitas, curries etc spot on

These are banging if you crisp them up nicely, they make fajitas, curries etc spot on
    On it. They sell it at Tescos which helps.

Its vegetarian rather than vegan tho (its got egg in it) but that doesn't bother me.

On it. They sell it at Tescos which helps.

Its vegetarian rather than vegan tho (its got egg in it) but that doesn't bother me.
    keep a eye on the reduced Veggie stuff ( my local big tesco's has a section for it ) the veggiebutcher isnt that well know so is often in the section reduced by a massive amount

Agreed,

https://www.thevegetarianbutcher.co....ievaballs.html

Really nice too.

International

Vegitarian "Butcher" WTF

Quorn was invented by ici and was originally made for animal feed.
    They then thought fack it cut out the middle man.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Quorn was invented by ici and was originally made for animal feed.
    They then thought fack it cut out the middle man.
    It all tastes like frigging cardboard.

Probably going to cook another quorn cottage pie this weekend, very nice they are as well.

Vegitarian "Butcher" WTF
    Live and let live you dinosaur

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Live and let live you dinosaur
    Dinasaur? Dinasaur? How very dare you. I'm not a dinasaur. Half of those were vegitarians. I'm an omnivore. I eat veg and meat.
    Ask a dog, they do it too. It's called the food chain.

I e been meaning to try one evening meal a week vegan for a while, some tidy options in this thread thanks.

Too lazy to go at it full time as I know I'll not get enough variety (through being lazy)

I quite fancy the look of those beetroot burgers they sell in Lidl. Anyone tried one?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I quite fancy the look of those beetroot burgers they sell in Lidl. Anyone tried one?

I’ve tried beetroot sausages (made by that company called Heck). I was very sceptical at first, but they were really nice and I have them quite regularly now - they’re flavoured with a bit of Horseradish to give them a bit of oomph.

Just had this https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/...-with-noodles/ with Linda McCartney meatballs. Deeeeeelicious (and vegan I think, although I'm not vegan myself)

Best veggie burger I've had is Linda McCartney mozzarella burger. I tried the beyond and wasn't that impressed

Best sausage I'd say Richmond ones

Quorn peppered streaks used to be nice as well, not sure if they do them now.

Frankie and bennys used to do a superb vegan burger they have changed it now to some beetroot one, was alright