+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Bennet

Joe Bennet

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/la...layer-emerges/

FLW garbage story or hope of a resurgence ?

Re: Joe Bennet

It all sounded very plausible to me.

Newport signed at least one player they’d released a couple of months earlier last season and I think it’s something you may see quite a bit of this year as clubs decide that the better option is the player they had rather than the, often more expensive, one they looked at as a replacement.

I like the lad , and would have a fit Joe Bennet back in a flash on reduced wage though and a one year rolling contract

Didn't someone say we are obliged to let him train with us until he recovers from the injury?

I guess how Bagan does in the first few games might influence our thinking with regard to a new contract for Bennett.

The staff at the club are probably best placed to get him fit after his injury. As alluded to above, there may well be contractual reasons for it aswell.

I don't dislike Joe, and he is definitely better in a WB role than FB.

I just think this may be an opportunity to actually let go, he is more experienced than what we have and it could be said it's a big risk to go with 2 kids on the left (we do have cover since MM converts any cm he fancies to fill the role)
    I would just like to see us move on and eventually the older, higher wage earning players will slowly leave the club. I understand he could come back on a lower wage, but why re block the path now it's clear for one of the younger lads?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I just think this may be an opportunity to actually let go, he is more experienced than what we have and it could be said it's a big risk to go with 2 kids on the left (we do have cover since MM converts any cm he fancies to fill the role)
    I would just like to see us move on and eventually the older, higher wage earning players will slowly leave the club. I understand he could come back on a lower wage, but why re block the path now it's clear for one of the younger lads?
    Agree.

Personally I thought he was badly treated as I’ve said before, but if there’s a way back I do hope it can be taken because we are desperately short of quality and I’m dreading the possibility of our crop of frees and kids being made to look completely unable to compete at this level.

I know he gets slaughtered on here. But I always rated him. If we can negotiate a good deal, I'd definitely welcome him back.

I’m not too happy that we are getting him fit whilst out of contract for a championship rival.

If he is trying to prove himself for an affordable stay then fine as he is decent.

He would probably be offered a less lucrative contract than he had before and a transfer fee wouldn't be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    He would probably be offered a less lucrative contract than he had before and a transfer fee wouldn't be involved.
    Did you miss the next bit of the post on purpose?

Did you miss the next bit of the post on purpose?
    Yes I did. Apologies. I'm feeling addled after a hard day.

Yes I did. Apologies. I'm feeling addled after a hard day.
    Not on purpose! I need a lie down!

I'm not sure I buy into him being badly treated.

Contract negotiations cut both ways. He has the chance to sign with us just as he can make a decision not to sign.

It is just unfortunate for him that his injury came at a time when he wasn't locked into a deal.
    It won't be the first player this has happened to and it certainly won't be the last.

I'd take him on terms that suit the club. Sounds ridiculous to say that as it should always suit the club but I think we've been given the run around in relation to some signings and wages.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Personally I thought he was badly treated as I’ve said before, but if there’s a way back I do hope it can be taken because we are desperately short of quality and I’m dreading the possibility of our crop of frees and kids being made to look completely unable to compete at this level.
    Apparently, we offered Bennett a new contract before he got injured last season. He turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

“Badly treated” often means not offered a over the odds contract out of ‘loyalty’ and time served.

I’ve seen people slate the club for not offering sol a contract even though he’s expressed interest to play (I don’t see him getting game time here)

It’s my assumption that it went along the lines of;

Bennett offered heavily reduced contract
    Bennett declined
    Ready to sign one last contract elsewhere
    Gets injured
    Interested party pulls out
    Now has to prove fitness to get something

Any footballer earning these weekly salaries can never really be viewed as being badly treated as opposed to folk on minimum wages .

Mixed feelings about Bennett being resigned.
    On one hand, he'll be match fit by September and is as good a left back as we have had for years, on the other hand is he blocking younger player coming through?
    I suspect he will find another club willing to give him a 2 year contract, probably Boro.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Mixed feelings about Bennett being resigned.
    On one hand, he'll be match fit by September and is as good a left back as we have had for years, on the other hand is he blocking younger player coming through?
    I suspect he will find another club willing to give him a 2 year contract, probably Boro.
    If he's really only out until September, and we could get him on a 1 year deal on reasonable wages then would definitely try to get him back. He's been a top player for us. We can still make tme for Bagan to get some game time if we want to.

If he's out until December and is still expecting a big wage then it's probably no.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If he's really only out until September, and we could get him on a 1 year deal on reasonable wages then would definitely try to get him back. He's been a top player for us. We can still make tme for Bagan to get some game time if we want to.

If he's out until December and is still expecting a big wage then it's probably no.
    I think he was expected to be out till October, but his recovery is ahead of schedule. He is already back on the grass, training.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I think he was expected to be out till October, but his recovery is ahead of schedule. He is already back on the grass, training.

Time for Bagan.

Secrets out! 😀