+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car purchase delays

New car purchase delays

Ordered a new car, Mini Countryman, back in April. Due to a worldwide shortage of microchips there’s been a number of delays and just been told today delivery will now be the last week of December.
    I know it’s a First World problem and it is what it is really, but anyone else with similar experiences?

Re: New car purchase delays

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Ordered a new car, Mini Countryman, back in April. Due to a worldwide shortage of microchips there’s been a number of delays and just been told today delivery will now be the last week of December.
    I know it’s a First World problem and it is what it is really, but anyone else with similar experiences?

Ya, trying to get a ticket to watch Cardiff City

Read about plenty of people ordering new cars through the Motability scheme experiencing similar delays. We were fortunate in that the vehicle we wanted was already in stock, but if we needed one manufactured to order we'd be waiting til the end of the year.

i was in the same boat with the colour I wanted but managed to get my second choice colour .Luckily one 1 available in the whole UK so nabbed that one and that was back in March

other wise would have been November at the earliest !

Second hand cars, vans and lorries are silly money at the moment too.
    I need to change my beaten up old Focus by the end of the month as the MOT runs out and it's not going to pass another without a few nuggets being spent on it.
    I do less than a 1000 miles a year, so I just need a reliable old workhorse for back and forth work. Anyone selling a cheapy?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I need to change my beaten up old Focus by the end of the month as the MOT runs out and it's not going to pass another without a few nuggets being spent on it.
    I do less than a 1000 miles a year, so I just need a reliable old workhorse for back and forth work. Anyone selling a cheapy?
    Send us a PM

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Send us a PM
    Will you take my 180,000 mile, 16 year old Focus in as part ex? It's the LX model

Will you take my 180,000 mile, 16 year old Focus in as part ex? It's the LX model
    Got a 10 year old car. Need it gone and not asking the world less than 60k miles send us a PM it's a good car from a to b

Of course .
    How much do you want to spend?

New cars vans , trucks are non existent at the moment. We are being quoted 2nd quarter for new vehicle orders at the moment.
    Thats a posh way of saying March onwards next year . On almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Of course .
    How much do you want to spend?
    Tempt me with your wares JJ.

Tempt me with your wares JJ.
    Let me have a look on monday .

We will of course allow you the minimum part ex allowance of £1500 against your present chariot.

Shortage of steel
    Mills on quotas

Steel has doubled in price
    Components extremely difficult to get hold

Delivery times for the stuff I deal with has increased from 4 or 5 weeks to 18 weeks

It is getting worrying

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Let me have a look on monday .

We will of course allow you the minimum part ex allowance of £1500 against your present chariot.
    I was only thinking of spending £1500 so that part ex allowance you're offering sounds tidy.
    Anything with 12 months MOT will do

I’m seeing the same in LCV
    World - demand has been crazy since first lockdown. Real long lead times on popular models well into 2022 without exaggeration.
    What’s arriving into the UK now was sold well in advance.

ULEZ expanding in London is panicking a lot into getting a Euro6 compliance to avoid £24 a day!

Yep, still struggling to get my hands on a PS5 because of the same issues. I'm not busting a gut to get one but everytime I check they are "unavailable".

You know why there's a worldwide shortage of Micro Chips......

That's bragging on this board. We can't all have a 'Focus'

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You know why there's a worldwide shortage of Micro Chips......
    A heady mix of Brexit, Covid and a factory fire https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...chip-shortage/

Not just steel & microchips, many other components as well. My employer uses both plus we’re one of the worlds largest users of TFTs, our global allocation is down 77%. We supply every car & motorcycle manufacturer (except Ford), including 100% for Mini, you can imagine that every company are claiming they should have priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Not just steel & microchips, many other components as well. My employer uses both plus we’re one of the worlds largest users of TFTs, our global allocation is down 77%. We supply every car & motorcycle manufacturer (except Ford), including 100% for Mini, you can imagine that every company are claiming they should have priority.
    What are TFTs?

the automotive world tend to use acronyms and stand for Temperature Fluid systems i guess des will clarify

lost a contract back a few months ago because of this world wide material shortage in the auto world

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    the automotive world tend to use acronyms and stand for Temperature Fluid systems i guess des will clarify

lost a contract back a few months ago because of this world wide material shortage in the auto world
    Wouldn't that be TFS?

temperature fluid temperature systems i think tuerto

theres so many terms used in that industry its hard to keep up and i spent almost 6 years in it !

des is on the ball he will know

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Read about plenty of people ordering new cars through the Motability scheme experiencing similar delays. We were fortunate in that the vehicle we wanted was already in stock, but if we needed one manufactured to order we'd be waiting til the end of the year.
    I ordered my wife's car on Motability back on May 10th.
    It is a Peugeot 5008 1.2 Puretech GT trim.

Was told it would be July delivery at time of order, then October. My dealer phoned a couple of weeks ago and said it would now be September although there was no actual build date yet.

I won't hold my breath!