+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tan remains "fully committed" to the Championship club insists chairman Mehmet Dalman...

Tan remains "fully committed" to the Championship club insists chairman Mehmet Dalman...

I've no idea exactly how much of his own cash Vincent Tan has pumped into Cardiff City but there can't be many other owners who have done more in terms of time and cash commitment for their club than our man, Vinnie.

Dalman issues a timely reminder Tan's commitment on the eve of the new season:-

bbc.com/sport/football/58123532

Re: Tan remains "fully committed" to the Championship club insists chairman Mehmet Dalman...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I've no idea exactly how much of his own cash Vincent Tan has pumped into Cardiff City but there can't be many other owners who have done more in terms of time and cash commitment for their club than our man, Vinnie.

Issue being that the time and commitment was initially spent (not immediately but near enough) taking us in wrong direction.

If he had spent the same money on the strategy being used now - focus on academy, on young prospects from lower leagues and good use of loan system - we'd probably be a premier League side and have a much better chance of staying up than the one season adventures seen so far.

Can't trust what Dalman says but good to hear Tan still interested. Feels like we're heading in right direction now and next time it could be fans lifting him up to celebrate promotion.

Re: Tan remains "fully committed" to the Championship club insists chairman Mehmet Dalman...

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan remains "fully committed" to the Championship club insists chairman Mehmet Dalman.

The Malaysian businessman has been Bluebirds owner since 2010.

Tan has been unable to travel to attend games due to the pandemic while Dalman said that he is often asked by people whether the 69-year-old plans to sell the club.

"Someone who keeps pumping money like that man does, I just don't think you can question his commitment," he said.

"He's enthusiastic, loves the team and watches every game regardless of what time it is in Malaysia.

"He's still fully committed to seeing this team grow and see if they can get promoted."

Tan's 11-year reign as owner has been eventful, including the controversial rebranding which saw the club play in red as well as two separate spells in the Premier League.

Dalman acknowledges the fact that Tan does not attend every Cardiff game does lead to some questions over his continued interest in the club.

"Most football club owners are chairmen as well as owners and they are more or less there every game," Dalman told BBC Radio Wales Sport.

"Vincent on the other hand is incredibly busy, it's been a turbulent couple of years in Malaysia because of the pandemic and he's not able to get here as much as he would really like to.

"But I talk to him on a daily basis and he's fully committed to seeing this club grow.

"People keep asking me is he going to sell the club and I don't hear that from him.

"I don't know if you've noticed recently but we also appointed a new board member.

"Jalil Rasheed has come on the board and Jalil is the first person to be appointed as CEO of the Berjaya Corporation outside of the Tan family.

"Having him on that board is a great asset for us."

'I have a lot of faith in him'
    Cardiff missed out on last season's Championship play-offs despite an impressive second half to the season under manager Mick McCarthy, who replaced Neil Harris in January.

Dalman said himself and Tan were pleased with the work the former Republic of Ireland boss was doing at Cardiff City Stadium.

"The man's got a very positive attitude. What he wants is clarity and I like to think we give him that clarity," Dalman added.

"He says he's very happy with the bunch of lads that he has at the moment and I have a lot of faith in him.

"He's very experienced, knows that league very well and he's great to work. I'm enjoying my relationship with Mick enormously."

It all sounds great, and it might all be true, but what else is the chairman going to say when interviewed by local media on the eve of a new season?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

Rebrand aside he hasn't been a bad owner. Yes we could/should have done better after the money that's been invested but for me our club has never felt safer under his ownership.

He’s been brilliant and he’s both loved and appreciated for it but a bit more is needed to progress.
    I’ve often thought a new minority partner. Someone’s just casually wasted £100m on Grealish so there must still be money in the game.
    That’s enough to put us up and keep us up if added to current investment.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Rebrand aside he hasn't been a bad owner. Yes we could/should have done better after the money that's been invested but for me our club has never felt safer under his ownership.
    The only thing he's done is pump in money. For which I'm thankful. But his decision-making is horrible. Rebrand? A despotic, naive, and appallingly disrespectful idea. Promotion under Malky? He stuck his oar in and ****ed everything up because he was jealous. Promotion under Warnock? He allowed himself to be led down the garden path. The tacky Chinese dragon on the badge? Again disrespectful, and repulsive. No real sponsorship. No stadium naming rights. What sort of businessman is he?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The only thing he's done is pump in money. For which I'm thankful. But his decision-making is horrible. Rebrand? A despotic, naive, and appallingly disrespectful idea. Promotion under Malky? He stuck his oar in and ****ed everything up because he was jealous. Promotion under Warnock? He allowed himself to be led down the garden path. The tacky Chinese dragon on the badge? Again disrespectful, and repulsive. No real sponsorship. No stadium naming rights. What sort of businessman is he?
    Malky in my opinion was taking us down then was found out to be a racist. The little dragon doesn't bother me but it is crap but Tan wasn't the first owner to rebrand our badge?

Ok lets hear your opinions on Ridsdale and Sam Hammam were you as opinionated when we were ruled by them?

No stadium naming rights.
    I'm probably wrong here but thought the stadium naming rights belonged to Sam Hamman as part of a legal settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm probably wrong here but thought the stadium naming rights belonged to Sam Hamman as part of a legal settlement.
    Is that Life President Sam Hamman?

I think the El Presidente title and the stadium naming rights claims are now dead and buried. Although isn't he still threatening legal action against the club? And aren't the club completely relaxed about the prospect?

He is a damn sight better owner and businessman than you are a supporter thats for sure. Plus all the criticisms you level at him are exaggerated and misrepresented. Would you continue to employ a manager who has wasted millions of pounds of your money and laughed about you and called you racist names behind your back ? You call the dragon on the badge distasteful and repulsive - it is a significant symbol of good luck, strength and health to the man and his family who has pumped over £100m into our club and what is wrong with having a representation of that on the club badge. Whats it got to do with you as well whether the stadium is named or who sponsors the club - its Vincent Tans money and he can generate income (or not) in any way he sees fit. People like you are like stuck records and need to get over yourselves, you are dragging the club and the rest of us down.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He is a damn sight better owner and businessman than you are a supporter thats for sure. Plus all the criticisms you level at him are exaggerated and misrepresented. Would you continue to employ a manager who has wasted millions of pounds of your money and laughed about you and called you racist names behind your back ? You call the dragon on the badge distasteful and repulsive - it is a significant symbol of good luck, strength and health to the man and his family who has pumped over £100m into our club and what is wrong with having a representation of that on the club badge. Whats it got to do with you as well whether the stadium is named or who sponsors the club - its Vincent Tans money and he can generate income (or not) in any way he sees fit. People like you are like stuck records and need to get over yourselves, you are dragging the club and the rest of us down.
    Warnock wasted millions and laughed behind his back (at the amount of control he got off tan)

He certainly has wasted millions on some very bad choice managers…the odd shocker like the rebrand and not spending to try and keep us up a few years ago….I’m not sure we’ve ever had a quality manager whereas even the jacks managed 3 or 4 in the sametime

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Is that Life President Sam Hamman?

I think the El Presidente title and the stadium naming rights claims are now dead and buried. Although isn't he still threatening legal action against the club? And aren't the club completely relaxed about the prospect?
    Always trying to squeeze money out of the club he loves bla bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Very good post

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He certainly has wasted millions on some very bad choice managers…the odd shocker like the rebrand and not spending to try and keep us up a few years ago….I’m not sure we’ve ever had a quality manager whereas even the jacks managed 3 or 4 in the sametime
    Tempted to argue that none of the managers hired under Tan have been bad but majority have been polar opposite to what came before which means several more millions spent on new personal which is asked to work despite going against the current.

I mean, Paul Trollope has about as good a reputation as you can have as assistant coach in Championship and Ole has been offered contract extension at Man United several times - given young managers a chance can't be the right thing to do at Swansea and the wrong thing at Cardiff...it's just they, at their best and note that hasn't been always, had an overarching style which meant each manager should have best chance whereas each of our appointments was short termism thinking by the club.

Allowing Warnock to go Super-Warnock in attempts to get us back into premier league was a big mistake in hindsight but Warnock to Harris to Mick makes logical sense which means we're finally thinking longer term.

We just desperately need to take that next step going into next season where even if we play to utilise set-pieces it's a tactical choice, each player is comfortable on the ball but we also have a height advantage, and not because several key positions are extremely limited on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Hard not to agree with what you say but i feel the club is still in safer hands than when the hmrc and god knows who else were chasing their debts under previous owners

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Tempted to argue that none of the managers hired under Tan have been bad but majority have been polar opposite to what came before which means several more millions spent on new personal which is asked to work despite going against the current.

I mean, Paul Trollope has about as good a reputation as you can have as assistant coach in Championship and Ole has been offered contract extension at Man United several times - given young managers a chance can't be the right thing to do at Swansea and the wrong thing at Cardiff...it's just they, at their best and note that hasn't been always, had an overarching style which meant each manager should have best chance whereas each of our appointments was short termism thinking by the club.

Allowing Warnock to go Super-Warnock in attempts to get us back into premier league was a big mistake in hindsight but Warnock to Harris to Mick makes logical sense which means we're finally thinking longer term.

We just desperately need to take that next step going into next season where even if we play to utilise set-pieces it's a tactical choice, each player is comfortable on the ball but we also have a height advantage, and not because several key positions are extremely limited on the ball.
    Bad managers maybe the wring choice of word, just not that good maybe…

It all sounds great, and it might all be true, but what else is the chairman going to say when interviewed by local media on the eve of a new season?
    Exactly. It's a puff-piece filler and utterly pointless.

Warnock (post relegation), Harris, and McCarthy says all you need to know about Tan's ability as a (wealthy) owner of CCFC. He's not interested in the club. As much as I don't like the board and the club's decision-maker at the highest level, I think Dalman is actually the closest on the board to being a football guy (he wants to own his own club) but is a self-interested businessman first and foremost. His cholesterol levels must be dangerously high with all the buttered bread he's consuming under Tan.

This article in the Manchester Evening post is really revealing and reading between the lines, I'd suggest Tan is the ultimate decision-maker when it comes to firing but not hiring. That might sound weird but when you consider the Solskjaer situation it's likely to be true.

Also, Dalman, 'A former investment banker and a self-confessed United fanatic, he acted as an adviser to the Glazer family during their takeover of United in 2005'. says all you need to know about him and the rest of the suits running our club right now.

The light shone brightly for a while post-re-brand when Warnock was initially hired and he pushed us up the table (but the signs were there by December of 2017 that it was going to get ugly). There was real passion on the park for two (almost) half seasons. That fizzled out in our second spell in the PL and I've yet to see it at those levels since. We need it back, and soon. The fans are passionate but the owner and board are pretty bland, uninspiring and as of now, talk a lot but not much else in terms of where we want to go and what we want to be.

F*ck me! let's hire Ted Lasso!

Oh, and the dragon on our badge. Let's just say I find it - jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Exactly. It's a puff-piece filler and utterly pointless.

Warnock (post relegation), Harris, and McCarthy says all you need to know about Tan's ability as a (wealthy) owner of CCFC. He's not interested in the club. As much as I don't like the board and the club's decision-maker at the highest level, I think Dalman is actually the closest on the board to being a football guy (he wants to own his own club) but is a self-interested businessman first and foremost. His cholesterol levels must be dangerously high with all the buttered bread he's consuming under Tan.

This article in the Manchester Evening post is really revealing and reading between the lines, I'd suggest Tan is the ultimate decision-maker when it comes to firing but not hiring. That might sound weird but when you consider the Solskjaer situation it's likely to be true.

Also, Dalman, 'A former investment banker and a self-confessed United fanatic, he acted as an adviser to the Glazer family during their takeover of United in 2005'. says all you need to know about him and the rest of the suits running our club right now.

The light shone brightly for a while post-re-brand when Warnock was initially hired and he pushed us up the table (but the signs were there by December of 2017 that it was going to get ugly). There was real passion on the park for two (almost) half seasons. That fizzled out in our second spell in the PL and I've yet to see it at those levels since. We need it back, and soon. The fans are passionate but the owner and board are pretty bland, uninspiring and as of now, talk a lot but not much else in terms of where we want to go and what we want to be.

F*ck me! let's hire Ted Lasso!

Oh, and the dragon on our badge. Let's just say I find it - jarring.
    You shouldn't believe what is in some paper. Dalman may have worked at an Investment Bank, but he was never an Investment Banker. He is a career investment trader turned relationship manager.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    You shouldn't believe what is in some paper. Dalman may have worked at an Investment Bank, but he was never an Investment Banker. He is a career investment trader turned relationship manager.
    I'm confused. I'm not sure what point you're making? I'm quoting the Manchester Evening News but under Dalman's Wikipedia page the first line is 'Mehmet Dalman (born 7 April 1958) is a British-Turkish Cypriot investment banker.'

If that's not the case then I guess someone's made a mistake but that's two sources so the mistake's not mine. It's not a question of believing.

I'm confused. I'm not sure what point you're making? I'm quoting the Manchester Evening News but under Dalman's Wikipedia page the first line is 'Mehmet Dalman (born 7 April 1958) is a British-Turkish Cypriot investment banker.'

If that's not the case then I guess someone's made a mistake but that's two sources so the mistake's not mine. It's not a question of believing.
    My point is he has never worked as an "Investment Banker", but has worked at an Investment Bank (running the Asian equities desk before moving into the relationship management side of portfolio management).

There's just something that's puzzling me. In the BBC article Mehmet is quoted as saying "People keep asking me is he going to sell the club and I don't hear that from him."I don't know if you've noticed recently but we also appointed a new board member. "Jalil Rasheed has come on the board and Jalil is the first person to be appointed as CEO of the Berjaya Corporation outside of the Tan family. "Having him on that board is a great asset for us." "I have a lot of faith in him".

But why? Why is he (Jalil) a great asset? Why does he (Mehmet) have a lot of faith in him when it comes to running our club? What does he bring to Cardiff City FC and what will he be doing?

I'm not saying Mehmet's wrong and not doubting Jalil's ability. I just don't know WTF he's going to be doing and that just appointing a new board member isn't an indication that Tan's not going to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    My point is he has never worked as an "Investment Banker", but has worked at an Investment Bank (running the Asian equities desk before moving into the relationship management side of portfolio management).
    OK, I'm with you and yes you're right, I see what you're getting at. It's just I don't believe everything I read so I was focussing on that bit but it did cross my mind that both statements (MEN and Wiki) were economical with the truth and that's what you meant.

Why does he (Mehmet) have a lot of faith in him when it comes to running our club?
    It’s Dalman’s default position. He declares having a lot of faith in everyone Tan appoints. Until Tan sacks them.