+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any 'Detectorists' on Here?

Any 'Detectorists' on Here?

So my next stage of mid life crisis brings me a metal detector, for my birthday. Something I've been talking about wanting for years. i'm itching to get going, but it seems to be something difficult to arrange. My understanding is that no farmers give 'permissions' to detect on their land, whilst historical sites are a no go area. The fields around Cowbridge, Llanblethian, Wick and Llantwit Major must have literally tons of small treasures waiting to be discovered. At the moment it seems I'm destined to find the odd 1984 2 pence piece and a fishing weight at the beach.

One Roman coin and it would all be worth it. Any one, got any sensible recommendations??

Re: Any 'Detectorists' on Here?

Not Tony Robinson I know, but the obvious thing in South Wales would be the beaches after busy sunny days. Used to do that as a kid to great profit, although of course there were no metal detectors in those days.
    Research ancient routes, buildings and events but at the risk of upsetting people they’re pretty few and far between in that area.

I’ve often thought it’d be a great idea to use another modern thing - a drone- to explore remote untrodden areas for unnatural features and again , thinking of the particular area, what about mountain tops between valleys. There’d have been farms and probably monasteries etc long forgotten and not recorded. Also there’d be ancient tombs up there.

Speak to the RAF and USAF about aircraft which went down or missing in such locations.

It’s a most interesting proposition and I shall give it some thought.

Guy I know is part of some club, travels around with them on weekends etc. They strike deals with land owners etc I guess, can't remember what he said now.

They have found all sorts, I didn't realise how common and almost worthless (in terms of market value) some roman coins were.

What makes you say that no farmer will give permission? Have you tried a few?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    What makes you say that no farmer will give permission? Have you tried a few?
    That's 'The Word' do you know differently ? i'm a newbie

Caerleon

Maybe study the route of Edward 1's troops and look for areas which have never been interfered with?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    So my next stage of mid life crisis brings me a metal detector, for my birthday. Something I've been talking about wanting for years. i'm itching to get going, but it seems to be something difficult to arrange. My understanding is that no farmers give 'permissions' to detect on their land, whilst historical sites are a no go area. The fields around Cowbridge, Llanblethian, Wick and Llantwit Major must have literally tons of small treasures waiting to be discovered. At the moment it seems I'm destined to find the odd 1984 2 pence piece and a fishing weight at the beach.

One Roman coin and it would all be worth it. Any one, got any sensible recommendations??
    If you did find a Roman coin, would you be allowed to keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If you did find a Roman coin, would you be allowed to keep it?
    Roman, yes. I think it's 'treasure' if it's 300 yrs old or more.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Roman, yes. I think it's 'treasure' if it's 300 yrs old or more.
    Surely most roman coins are over 300 years old?!

I suspect it's status will depend on what it is made of:

http://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/summary

International

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Surely most roman coins are over 300 years old?!

I suspect it's status will depend on what it is made of:

http://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/summary

Bit more complicated than that but in most cases they’ll only know if you tell them.
    Depends upon the historical importance and your own conscience.

I think the reality is that a lot of stuff is melted down.

I lost my car and house keys in town last Friday and found a 20p piece whilst retracing my steps and re-tracing my route.
    Unfortunately, the 20p piece wasn't Roman but my keys were found outside a 'Pound' shop.
    Me and my rock'n'roll lifestyle, eh?