Thread: Olympics Bore Festival

Re: Olympics Bore Festival

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Greg Luganis

That's you that is
    Casual homophobia. Tut-tut.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Talking about chatting (see what I did there?) do you think anyone has ever had difficulty communicating in a Speakeasy?
    In an illegal drinking den?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    In an illegal drinking den?
    Never mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm imagining this scene but to the music of Chariots Of Fire.
    Beethoven was the music of choice in the 'horrorshow' (using the vernacular therein).
    Banned-Horror-Movies-A-Clockwork-Orange.jpg

Beethoven was the music of choice in the 'horrorshow' (using the vernacular therein).
    Banned-Horror-Movies-A-Clockwork-Orange.jpg
    It's such an iconic photo isn't it? I was just doing the filmic equivalent of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue by imagining swapping film scores (a game play in my head most of the time - keeps me out of trouble).

Never really got Kubrik and can honestly say I was so disappointed when I did get to see ACO. I watched Terry Gilliam's Brazil again the other day and had forgotten just how brilliant it is. The current ticket situation reminded me of it! - thought I'd shoe-horn that in and try and keep some continuity between threads ;-)
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 05-08-21 at 08:16. Reason: Missed a word out

It's such an iconic photo isn't it? I was just doing the filmic equivalent of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue by imagining swapping film scores (a game play in my head most of the time - keeps me out of trouble).

Never really got Kubrik and can honestly say I was so disappointed when I did get to see ACO. I watched Terry Gilliam's Brazil again the other day and had forgotten just how brilliant it is. The current ticket situation reminded me of it! - thought I'd shoe-horn that in and try and keep some continuity between threads ;-)
    I agree with you on Kubrick. my brother is a real film buff and really rates him, but so much of his work hasn't aged that well for me. it was clearly Innovative at the time though.
    ACO was disappointing for me as well, its probably due a remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in China it's the law to care for and visit your parents once they become elderly
    Another positive for China.

I dont understand why they get such a bad press.

I watched ACO again recently and thought it was brilliant .
    So much more going on than the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Another positive for China.

I dont understand why they get such a bad press.
    I dunno, could be all the oppression?

They do do a lot for (a lot of) their population, you won't find many people who will be too critical of the leadership - even of the likes of Mao
    Retirement age is quite a bit lower than here (60 for men, 50-55 for women).
    the chinese govermnent will also sometimes fund foreign travel and overseas studying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I dunno, could be all the oppression?

They do do a lot for (a lot of) their population, you won't find many people who will be too critical of the leadership - even of the likes of Mao
    Retirement age is quite a bit lower than here (60 for men, 50-55 for women).
    the chinese govermnent will also sometimes fund foreign travel and overseas studying.
    I don't think criticism of the system is encouraged.

China are a threat to the wests control .
    So we have to be indoctrinated into believing they are really bad .

We have had the same with the oil rich arabs and the Ruskies.

I may have over simplified world politics today.

I don't think criticism of the system is encouraged.

China are a threat to the wests control .
    So we have to be indoctrinated into believing they are really bad .

We have had the same with the oil rich arabs and the Ruskies.

I may have over simplified world politics today.
    It is interesting how the villains in Hollywood films have gone from German to Russian/Soviet to Middle Eastern over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It is interesting how the villains in Hollywood films have gone from German to Russian/Soviet to Middle Eastern over the years.
    Yep, china is next.

Its a struggle keeping up with the baddies....

I notice you didnt mention the Indians , I guess those films are banned now . Poor Indians.

Yep, china is next.

I notice you didnt mention the Indians , I guess those films are banned now . Poor Indians.
    Obviously showing my lack of age

Yep, china is next.

Presumably you mean the Native Americans who were assigned a generic collective name that was based on a totally false premise.

You know, I will give it another go. I've felt the same about quite a few films I watched decades ago and thought WTF? at the time. I still think Full Metal Jacket is one of his best but I would need a safe word if I agreed to watch Eyes Wide Shut again.

BTW - I'm liking your politics-lite (I think over-simplified won't get through the focus groups) and nodding in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Casual homophobia. Tut-tut.
    No I just thought you look like him in your avatar xx

Mind your head on the way down

Kubricks best films are Paths Of Glory and The Shining

You know, I will give it another go. I've felt the same about quite a few films I watched decades ago and thought WTF? at the time. I still think Full Metal Jacket is one of his best but I would need a safe word if I agreed to watch Eyes Wide Shut again.

BTW - I'm liking your politics-lite (I think over-simplified won't get through the focus groups) and nodding in agreement.
    I love watching old films . Its like there was a secret code years ago and I never got it . And now I do.

Foreign films is another love of mine. They are written in a totally different way and bring a new dimension to the party.

Have you read the book? It's a hard read due to the specific terminology in it which was used by the protagonist and his cohort (whom he refers to as his 'droogs'). 'Nadsat' was invented by the author and is heavily infused with Russian. You find yourself either continually looking at the translations in the glossary or thinking that you can get by and simply let the occasional reference go above your head if they have not already sunk in from previous references to them. The book is highly unusual in that respect.

Have you read the book? It's a hard read due to the specific terminology in it which was used by the protagonist and his cohort (whom he refers to as his 'droogs'). 'Nadsat' was invented by the author and is heavily infused with Russian. You find yourself either continually looking at the translations in the glossary or thinking that you can get by and simply let the occasional reference go above your head if they have not already sunk in from previous references to them. The book is highly unusual in that respect.
    I have read the book . I enjoyed it , understood as much of it is I normally do

I have read the book . I enjoyed it , understood as much of it is I normally do
    You could have taken a vellocet but I'm sure that you are more oomny that you admit. Nadmenny you're not.
    Me, I'm just a eunuch jelly and a dedoochka who talks chepooka.

Now I'm going to have to put that on an ever-expanding reading list. I think I'll read it before I watch the film again though. The problem is, I tend to always prefer the books. I had this problem with Catch 22. Perhaps there's a certain irony to that.

Now I'm going to have to put that on an ever-expanding reading list. I think I'll read it before I watch the film again though. The problem is, I tend to always prefer the books. I had this problem with Catch 22. Perhaps there's a certain irony to that.
    I loved catch-22, the book, haven't really got on with any of the film/tv versions.

I've tried on 2 occasions to read ACO but fairly quickly given up both times

To liven up the Olympics the next Olympics there is talk of introducing pet walking with and without leads , tree growing , litter picking up , allotment digging ,avoiding the cracks in pavements jumping, cycling backwards ,and hedge trimming

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To liven up the Olympics the next Olympics there is talk of introducing pet walking with and without leads , tree growing , litter picking up , allotment digging ,avoiding the cracks in pavements jumping, cycling backwards ,and hedge trimming

TBG, is entering the "Park your Camper Van" competition