+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Olympics Bore Festival

Re: Olympics Bore Festival

I always liked the 'proper' events on track and field, and have got more comfortable with the 'sitting down' sports that the UK does well at - bikes and boats.

But I cannot get on with the horse abuse events (especially when the English tabloids get over excited about medals).

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    The action is always a mixed bag as so many sports just demonstrate why we never see them on the tellybox outside of the Olympics. Unfortunately I have stopped watching not because of the sport but because of the amount of pointless studio bound chopsing that the BBC is serving up.
    Eurosport is the place to watch it live this time.
    Too much chopping and changing on the BBC, aswell as the annoying Sam Quek.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    The action is always a mixed bag as so many sports just demonstrate why we never see them on the tellybox outside of the Olympics. Unfortunately I have stopped watching not because of the sport but because of the amount of pointless studio bound chopsing that the BBC is serving up.
    I think the BBC has been excellent as always on the Olympics, across TV and radio.
    a commercial broadcaster probably wouldn't bother with some of the more obscure events

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Eurosport is the place to watch it live this time.
    Too much chopping and changing on the BBC, aswell as the annoying Sam Quek.
    who wouldn't want to watch Sam Quek?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I always liked the 'proper' events on track and field, and have got more comfortable with the 'sitting down' sports that the UK does well at - bikes and boats.

But I cannot get on with the horse abuse events (especially when the English tabloids get over excited about medals).
    If competitions of dancing horses are permitted surely elephants and camels should be allowed to strut their stuff if they have a posh-looking johnny wearing a hard hard and johdpurs astride them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    who wouldn't want to watch Sam Quek?
    Watching, yes. Listening, not yet.
    I'm sure the BBC are developing her into one of their main broadcasters and I think shell get better, but she still hasn't mastered ad-libbing and makes several mistakes. Being on Question of Sport will help.

Watching, yes. Listening, not yet.
    I'm sure the BBC are developing her into one of their main broadcasters and I think shell get better, but she still hasn't mastered ad-libbing and makes several mistakes. Being on Question of Sport will help.
    I've watched the Olympics in other countries before and from what I've seen they tend to be much more focussed on their own nation's competitors than the BBC does. I think the BBC does a genuinely great job on this, and I doubt many people at all will be watching Eurosport instead.

It's been excellent with some brilliant highlights as you've said. I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed the more artistic events such as bmx, skateboarding, surfing and even the gymnastics. I've never really bought into subjective judging to determine the winner of an event but have really enjoyed it this time.
    I've enjoyed the bmx and Skateboarding

I've watched the Olympics in other countries before and from what I've seen they tend to be much more focussed on their own nation's competitors than the BBC does. I think the BBC does a genuinely great job on this, and I doubt many people at all will be watching Eurosport instead.
    I agree that the BBC does an excellent job, but their contract this time restricts them to only having 2 channels. In 2012 (and I think 2016) they had channels dedicated to each sport and you could watch everything live. Eurosport have that contract this time and theyll have plenty of viewers.

I agree that the BBC does an excellent job, but their contract this time restricts them to only having 2 channels. In 2012 (and I think 2016) they had channels dedicated to each sport and you could watch everything live. Eurosport have that contract this time and theyll have plenty of viewers.
    yeah, I've just been reading up on that. it seems as though after 2022 (discovery) Eurosport will have even more of the Olympics, so we could be in very different territory next time around.
    the fact that their amount of live sport is restricted this time probably makes it feel a little thinner than in recent years.
    I'm not impressed with the Eurosport coverage that I've seen tbh for all the money they've spent on the rights, the show's seem a bit cheaply made and slightly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If competitions of dancing horses are permitted surely elephants and camels should be allowed to strut their stuff if they have a posh-looking johnny wearing a hard hard and johdpurs astride them.
    Exactly right.

Ostrich racing is 'a thing' in southern Africa. Surely a case for that alongside go-carting, darts and sheepdog trials?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Exactly right.

Ostrich racing is 'a thing' in southern Africa. Surely a case for that alongside go-carting, darts and sheepdog trials?
    they should definitely have dog sled racing in the winter Olympics

many of the sports arise from combat, I think it would be quite exciting to watch professional paintball teams/1 on 1 matches

I don't like it so I don't watch it.

I'll look over now and again if something that looks like it could be interesting comes on if it's on down the pub but I wouldn't purposely put it on at home and then log onto the Internet to moan about it being crap, when I could just turn it off.

Another thing that Sludge doesn't like

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Just watched on replay the 13 year old skateboarding get the bronze. Great stuff!

Her parents, Mr and Mrs Brown, obvs have a sense of humour naming her Sky
    Could she reach the medal table?
    I've not seen as much as I usually would have, due to timings, but there have been some brilliant moments.
    the 2 high jumpers sharing the medal.
    a 13 year old winning a bronze for Britain today.
    400m hurdles records in men's and women's both absolutely smashed (in the men's the top 3 were in the top 4 times of all time)
    the Dutch 1500 runner falling on the last lap but still winning her heat.
    classic Olympics stuff
    One to look out for today could be the mens 200m final. A 17 year old American, who runs like Usain Bolt, could challenge for gold. Think it's a 1.45pm

One to look out for today could be the mens 200m final. A 17 year old American, who runs like Usain Bolt, could challenge for gold. Think it's a 1.45pm
    There's a bit of a changing of the guard at this olympics, with some youngsters breaking through, the women's 800m final was 2 nineteen year olds in 1st and 2nd (a yank and a brit) both of them beating their respective national records. I think the late 20s is usually the peak age for that event.

Incredible action

https://youtu.be/JHM-z_rHz9M

God bless Phil Cornwell

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Does anything not bore you? I think it's been brilliant.
    All day , its on , news , it's on , Olympic highlights with that clare balding

Golf , Wimbledon, Olympics naff off

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Incredible action

https://youtu.be/JHM-z_rHz9M

God bless Phil Cornwell
    Big Train was really good, the staring ones were very well observed (no pun intended)

Dont watch it then.
    I'm sure Robson Green is on another channel somewhere getting over excited about a fish.
    Thats sport fishing

I am not interested in that , it's like hunting tigers and elephants

Why not try enjoying life a bit more before you die?
    I won't enjoy it by having the Olympics rammed in my face

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Imagine if angling became an Olympic sport, now that would be a hard watch.
    It wouldn't as the joy of angling is to be there in nature not watching clare balding with her stupid hair

Monkey Tennis !

Inner City Sumo !

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    All day , its on , news , it's on , Olympic highlights with that clare balding

Golf , Wimbledon, Olympics naff off
    To be fair, you're on here all day, also being pretty boring.