+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Olympics Bore Festival

Re: Olympics Bore Festival

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You could have taken a vellocet but I'm sure that you are more oomny that you admit. Nadmenny you're not.
    Me, I'm just a eunuch jelly and a dedoochka who talks chepooka.
    As you read the book , it becomes understandable, either from the context or you somehow start to understand the language?

It was probably reading the book that opened up my eyes to the story .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To liven up the Olympics the next Olympics there is talk of introducing pet walking with and without leads , tree growing , litter picking up , allotment digging ,avoiding the cracks in pavements jumping, cycling backwards ,and hedge trimming
    I can imagine that

To liven up the Olympics the next Olympics there is talk of introducing pet walking with and without leads , tree growing , litter picking up , allotment digging ,avoiding the cracks in pavements jumping, cycling backwards ,and hedge trimming
    After watching competitive sheep-shearing at a County Show years ago - I'd rather watch Olympic paint-drying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    As you read the book , it becomes understandable, either from the context or you somehow start to understand the language?

It was probably reading the book that opened up my eyes to the story .

Don't forget extreme ironing!

Extreme ironing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Don't forget extreme ironing!

Extreme ironing.jpg
    Is that the electric lead?

Is that the electric lead?
    What do you expect?

An iron with an internal combustion engine?

Be serious!

I thought for a second I was looking suggestions that could fill TBG's retirement diary

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I won't enjoy it by having the Olympics rammed in my face
    You do the same with your crap music threads

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I don't claim anything

I could claim carers allowance, which is 67 quid a week ......wow .......but I choose not to

When you have a loved one such as a wife , partner, parent or child with multiple health problems its not a case of not being interested in work , it's a case of not being able to

Maybe your wife or partner or kids develop serious health problems which mean you have to stop working ?

Be careful now , you don't know what's around the corner
    I was referring to benefits in general, I assumed you didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in China it's the law to care for and visit your parents once they become elderly
    Great law.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Great law.
    Perhaps it should become an Olympic event

Lauren Price from Wales boxing for the gold.

I'm enjoying the Olympics and feel the new sports such as BMX and skateboarding have been good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm enjoying the Olympics and feel the new sports such as BMX and skateboarding have been good to watch.
    Bunch of spotty kids from up the estate. Keeps them off the streets I s'pose

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Great law.
    What if your parents don't deserve it? They could have been violent, cruel or negligent, foe example.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Events such as these means more kids will have dreams of competing at an Olympics. Much more accessible than sports such as Show Jumping, Rowing, Modern Pentathlon et al.

How long does this thing drag on for ?

Sludge, don't forget that the Paralympics will follow. You may enjoy this more - I know I do and find huge inspiration from it.

What if your parents don't deserve it? They could have been violent, cruel or negligent, foe example.
    Maybe there is an option for people to reject this based on a few reasons, such as domestic abuse etc. Maybe one of the Chinese lads can fill us in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Events such as these means more kids will have dreams of competing at an Olympics. Much more accessible than sports such as Show Jumping, Rowing, Modern Pentathlon et al.
    Bmx and skateboarding is much more affordable and easier to get into than rowing and anything to do with horses.

I think the law still applies in those cases, but I'm not certain. It is pretty vague as to what constitutes an acceptable amount of care / contact as well so I'm not sure how it is enforced.

In my experience - Chinese parents are VERY strict compared to here or places like the USA etc.
    The biggest cultural stigma around parenting seems to be not being strict enough with your kids and letting them go bad - sparing the rod.
    Kids will get a clip round the ear for doing badly on their homework etc and parenting is much more likely to be an angry tirade instead of gentle encouragement.
    To kids raised here that might seem like cruel and abusive, but it comes from love and wanting what's best for their children in a very competitive society.

There is also a much more deeply embedded cultural concept of "fillial piety" which is to do with showing respect and care for your elders - most notably your parents.
    I've seen a broad range of chinese TV and no matter the genre from Sci-fi, to comedy, to historical drama there is very often a fillial piety storyline in there somewhere, it's that important to the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think the law still applies in those cases, but I'm not certain. It is pretty vague as to what constitutes an acceptable amount of care / contact as well so I'm not sure how it is enforced.

In my experience - Chinese parents are VERY strict compared to here or places like the USA etc.
    The biggest cultural stigma around parenting seems to be not being strict enough with your kids and letting them go bad - sparing the rod.
    Kids will get a clip round the ear for doing badly on their homework etc and parenting is much more likely to be an angry tirade instead of gentle encouragement.
    To kids raised here that might seem like cruel and abusive, but it comes from love and wanting what's best for their children in a very competitive society.

There is also a much more deeply embedded cultural concept of "fillial piety" which is to do with showing respect and care for your elders - most notably your parents.
    I've seen a broad range of chinese TV and no matter the genre from Sci-fi, to comedy, to historical drama there is very often a fillial piety storyline in there somewhere, it's that important to the culture.
    I'd add to that, there's a general expectation for kids to give their parents an 'allowance' once they start earning. It's a respect thing, and also to recognise the sacrifices they'd made for the education.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'd add to that, there's a general expectation for kids to give their parents an 'allowance' once they start earning. It's a respect thing, and also to recognise the sacrifices they'd made for the education.
    I'm looking to introduce that here (starting from my kids generation)

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    We brought you into this world, now pay us back.

My daughter can keep her money.