+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Black screen on laptop?

Black screen on laptop?

Anyone know how to resolve this one? I can’t remember as hasn’t happened for yrs and don’t use the laptop that much….it’s after log in but won’t come up with anything after…..can log in as administrator but go no apps on it so it’s just my account on it I guess.

Re: Black screen on laptop?

Have you asked bluetit?

He knows his IT onions

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I’m not an IT person but if you’re running windows 10. It’s what the IT support person did to wake up mine

try using this Windows key sequence to wake up the screen: the "Windows" key, "Ctrl", "Shift" "B", all pressed together. If this doesn't work, restart your Windows Explorer using "Task Manager" which can be opened with "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Del".

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I’m not an IT person but if you’re running windows 10. It’s what the IT support person did to wake up mine

try using this Windows key sequence to wake up the screen: the "Windows" key, "Ctrl", "Shift" "B", all pressed together. If this doesn't work, restart your Windows Explorer using "Task Manager" which can be opened with "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Del".
    This is good advice and worth a try. One thing you can do is boot the laptop into Safe Mode (assuming you're using a Windows laptop?).

Is your Windows Laptop up-to-date? If it isn't then the old F8 (or Shift+F8) after pressing the start button may get you into safe mode where you can decide what you want Windows to do next e.g. repair.

Windows have changed the Safe Mode boot options but there's a way you can back in by forcing a Safe Mode boot.

If Windows 10 fails to boot normally three times over, the fourth time, it enters by default in an Automatic Repair mode.

Using this mode, you can boot into Safe Mode.

To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the Restart or the Power button on your Windows 10 laptop to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the Power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 4 seconds to force the power off.

When Windows 10 enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is “Preparing Automatic Repair.”

There're some good options here and it'll give you an idea of what you should be seeing.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

That happens frequently on my machine. I can get it to work by holding down the on/off button for about a minute. I know nothing about computers but my local PC man told me to try this before getting him to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That happens frequently on my machine. I can get it to work by holding down the on/off button for about a minute. I know nothing about computers but my local PC man told me to try this before getting him to look at it.
    Yeah tried this, don’t think it worked….ended up going into the system repair in boot mode for HP where it seemed to fix it for now anyway….cheers folks