+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long season ahead

Long season ahead

Sorry to be so negative but Mick McCarthy and his football is so 1 dimensional it's Facking painful.
    Yer we have a midiocre side but if we had Messi and Ronaldo he'd still lump it in the box.
    I'd take 4th from bottom if we had a manager trying to get a better passing game going.
    I see no future with this dinosaur sorry.

Re: Long season ahead

It's highly unlikely that Mick goes before the end of his contract (firing managers is expensive) unless things start to go badly wrong.

However, if the board are smart about it, we're only 18 months away from working out who his replacement should be. It's a future with a known end point when someone else can take over.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's highly unlikely that Mick goes before the end of his contract (firing managers is expensive) unless things start to go badly wrong.

However, if the board are smart about it, we're only 18 months away from working out who his replacement should be. It's a future with a known end point when someone else can take over.
    This board in football terms don't know shit from Mucky clay.

Looking at the lack of marquee signings in the division - it is survival mode, not just hope for the best mode, for alot of clubs

In 18 months they'll probably ask Mick who he thinks will be a good replacement.
    Welcome Scott Young.

We're pretty much in the same situation footballing wise as we were under Warnock and Harris. Managers who play one way and never moving from that due to being unwilling or unable to.

The board picked two managers after Warnock to take us in a new direction but couldn't have stumbled on more similar footballing styles if they tried. We need Pulis next for the long ball full set.

As said above the board have little idea and I wouldn't trust them to pick their nose.

The board being smart and planning ahead with sound football knowledge is where that particular cunning plan falls down.

Had the chance to do that last season

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Mick was doing fine until his contract went permanent

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    And you're seeing Mick take us in a new direction.
    Like Harris before that.

The board said so.

If Tan is the clever businessman people claim he is then can you tell me why he has not fixed the glaring weakness here, our board?

Having two men in charge who pick almost carbon copies as managers to take us in a new direction is always going to see stagnation on the field and off it. The fans could see it fairly soon after appointment. Tan and Choo are still telling Tan it will all come good and we're on for autos no doubt.

If MM went tomorrow then there is a high probability we would have some other route one boremonger take over. The reason being it is the same two or three people picking them.

Feels like we're going to be having the same conversation as last season...

A team with a shrinking budget who cannot move on from the midfield and CB's Warnock picked for "Super-Warnock football" cannot quickly move to a new style of play.

Mick might not be changing style of play too much but the signings being brought in suggest that development is on its way - longer term thinking by the club. 2 years of Mick while squad becomes much younger and youth players becomes experienced in this league is no bad thing, especially if we're setting up the structure behind the scenes for a more progressive manager.

These conversations usually go down the route of our players being unable to play another way.
    The belief that they lack the basic ability to play a passing game.
    This all with the assumption that they have been asked to play a more passing game at some stage. Looking at Warnock, Harris and Mick McCarthy I don't think that they have. All three have adopted a similar style during their time in management. Passing, entertaining football isn't it.

Just because the club are saying they are setting up for a better style and to bring through youth doesn't mean they are actually doing that the right way. This is the same club who thought changing the team colours would bring us luck, failing that a dragon that looks like a caterpillar on the badge. The same club who picked Neil Harris for entertaining football followed by Mick McCarthy.
    Sorry but I don't think they have the foggiest what they're doing. They can want what they like but until they start thinking differently and get somebody more knowledgeable on board then I can't see much changing.

It is what it is. Kicking around mid table with a route one style for some time I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    These conversations usually go down the route of our players being unable to play another way.
    This all with the assumption that they have been asked to play a more passing game at some stage. Looking at Warnock, Harris and Mick McCarthy I don't think that they have. All three have adopted a similar style during their time in management. Passing, entertaining football isn't it.

Just because the club are saying they are setting up for a better style and to bring through youth doesn't mean they are actually doing that the right way. This is the same club who thought changing the team colours would bring us luck, failing that a dragon that looks like a caterpillar on the badge. The same club who picked Neil Harris for entertaining football followed by Mick McCarthy.
    Sorry but I don't think they have the foggiest what they're doing. They can want what they like but until they start thinking differently and get somebody more knowledgeable on board then I can't see much changing.

It is what it is. Kicking around mid table with a route one style for some time I feel.
    Harris tried to get us playing more possession football at the start of last season. The results were mostly crap (we conceded the opening goal in 9 of our first 13 games) and only picked up when we went back to a more direct style of play. Then Moore got injured and we lost six on the trot, which cost Harris his job.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Harris tried to get us playing more possession football at the start of last season. The results were mostly crap (we conceded the opening goal in 9 of our first 13 games) and only picked up when we went back to a more direct style of play. Then Moore got injured and we lost six on the trot, which cost Harris his job.
    He tried a bit of passing football and then s*** the bed and reverted to type.

This is what route one managers do.

This all with the assumption that they have been asked to play a more passing game at some stage. Looking at Warnock, Harris and Mick McCarthy I don't think that they have.
    He tried a bit of passing football and then s*** the bed and reverted to type.
    This seems contradictory.

One game into a new season, with four of our first choice team unable to start due to fitness and suspension issues and you lot of idiots have written us off. What a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    One game into a new season, with four of our first choice team unable to start due to fitness and suspension issues and you lot of idiots have written us off. What a surprise.
    Where do you have us finishing this season dml?

I'm all for glass half full thinking but lets have something to back it up.

You obviously think we're a lot better than we showed yesterday so where do you think we are finishing this time round?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    This seems contradictory.
    I was responding directly to you saying he tried passing football. I saw little evidence of it.

Also, what is the point if at the first sign of trouble a manager who favours route one then goes straight back to it. This is the very reason why employing managers who think route one is the way to succeed will not work in developing a new style.

International

I don't understand some of you people.
    Before the sstart of the season, and watching the pre-seaso the general opuinion was that we were going to have a hard season, and the comments about the first game in particular were that Barnsley wwere too good for us and we were going to lose. Predictions varied from just losing to 3 -0and even 5 - 0. In reality we didn't play as well as people think whe should be we drew 1 - 1 after having a goal (corrctly) disallowed. That said bad as we were we wwre we could and should have one that game by a couple of goals.

So the team appear to have done better than peoples expactations and suddenly everyone is talking as if the concensus before the game was a 3 - 0 win or something.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't understand some of you people.
    Before the sstart of the season, and watching the pre-seaso the general opuinion was that we were going to have a hard season, and the comments about the first game in particular were that Barnsley wwere too good for us and we were going to lose. Predictions varied from just losing to 3 -0and even 5 - 0. In reality we didn't play as well as people think whe should be we drew 1 - 1 after having a goal (corrctly) disallowed. That said bad as we were we wwre we could and should have one that game by a couple of goals.

So the team appear to have done better than peoples expactations and suddenly everyone is talking as if the concensus before the game was a 3 - 0 win or something.
    I can't remember seeing many saying Barnsley were too good for us.

Any link to the score predictions? A three and five goal loss to start the season at home to Barnsley?

GK: Etheridge
    FB: Peltier and Bennett
    CB: Flint, Nelson, Morrison
    CM: Bacuna, Pack, Ralls, Vaulks
    RW: Mendez-Laing
    CF: Madine, Bogle, Patterson

Players not named: Hoilett, Murphy, Glatzel, Danny Ward

That's the majority of the squad (with appearances in first team XI) that Warnock left us with. Are you saying the difference between them playing like Brentford and playing route-one was the manager's chosen tactics?

GK: Etheridge
    FB: Peltier and Bennett
    CB: Flint, Nelson, Morrison
    CM: Bacuna, Pack, Ralls, Vaulks
    RW: Mendez-Laing
    CF: Madine, Bogle, Patterson

Players not named: Hoilett, Murphy, Glatzel, Danny Ward

That's the majority of the squad (with appearances in first team XI) that Warnock left us with. Are you saying the difference between them playing like Brentford and playing route-one was the manager's chosen tactics?
    I'm saying that the manager adopted a route one style for the majority of the games they played.
    I also think that the two managers since prefer a direct style too.

We do have the choice to sign other players too.
    When a manager signs new players and still plays the same way you do realise he has the option to change it up a bit? Or is it just the fact we employ route one managers who sign players to play that style?

Where do you have us finishing this season dml?

I'm all for glass half full thinking but lets have something to back it up.

You obviously think we're a lot better than we showed yesterday so where do you think we are finishing this time round?
    Glass half full thinking !! Your thinking constantly is glass totally empty. You have written off our chances after one game, when a number of first teamers were missing. I prefer to wait until we are well into the season before predicting anything. What difference does it make anyway where I think the team will finish. I just go and watch the football, support the team and manager and try to enjoy myself in the process - a concept that is obviously totally alien to you.

I'm saying that the manager adopted a route one style for the majority of the games they played.
    I also think that the two managers since prefer a direct style too.

We do have the choice to sign other players too.
    When a manager signs new players and still plays the same way you do realise he has the option to change it up a bit? Or is it just the fact we employ route one managers who sign players to play that style?
    Giles isn't a ‘route one’ player neither is Wintle or Collins. Whats your point ? Perhaps you think we should have signed Wilson for £12m - oh, wait a minute, you don't rate him either do you.