Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
The angle used for Swansea fans to get in touch on Rob Phillips' phone in was a ll about Russell Martin and a return to the "Swansea Way" and when a City fan mentioned our style of play, Rob said "that's not an issue with Cardiff fans though is it?" as Jason Perry weighed in with the line that Cardiff fans want effort from their team first and foremost.

I don't dispute what Jason says, City fans have always been like that, but this is a line that is always trotted out when the discussion heads a certain way and the way it's repeated by managers and players makes me think that this is something they are told by those who have been attached to the club for years when they first arrive.

As I say, I don't think it's wrong as such, but that shouldn't mean that concerns about the style of play we've used for a long time now should be just swept under the carpet.

The thing is, is the criticism I hear so often, and definitely share myself, as widespread as I believe it to be? If you take my blog as an example, the large majority of responses I have about our style of play are critical, but am I bound to attract those sort of replies when I consistently have a go at the way we play? Someone like dml 1954 always talks about a small clique of critical fans on places like this, but the vast majority of fans are perfectly happy with their lot - I think he's wrong, but cannot say that for sure because so many people choose to live in echo chambers these days where they just hear what they want to.

Seriously, I've had my fill of City sides playing in such a turgid way now and it's beginning to affect my attitude towards the team. It doesn't help matters either that the folk from forty miles down the road can, apparently, get what they want after they think a manager was too "boring" and yet it seems we're expected to just put up with the stuff we've been fed for ages - stuff that is in my view, far worse than anything the jacks did under Steve Cooper if you're talking about style of play.
Annoying isn't it. Surely every clubs fans want to see effort, work rate and determination from their teams.

That should be a prerequisite not a style.