+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreadful game

Dreadful game

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it was a dreadful game of football, yesterday? Once the initial euphoria of being back in the ground had worn off, once we'd got over the novelty of e-ticketing, and got past the emotion of the minute's silence, it was awful.
    Plenty of people on here have complained about how poor the football has been (and plenty more have replied that you get what you pay for), but the one thing I thought yesterday, was that if the Barnsley game was anyone's first time at Cardiff City, they probably won't be back. It was dreadful - and believe me, I've seen some dreadful City matches.
    Okay, it's early days, and new players need to bed in. Maybe things will improve. But they've had all summer to learn how to pass to each other, and they still don't get it. It might change, but I doubt it - this season isn't going to be a hard watch.

Re: Dreadful game

Wasn't a classic , didn't think it was dreadful though .

It wasnt a great game. Poor watch for the neutral. Seen far worse though and we have the likes of Moore Morrison Murphy Colwill to come back.

It wasnt dreadful though.

Not our strongest eleven.

Not dreadful.

Not great.

Not going to get away with performances like that against better teams though.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Not our strongest eleven.

Not dreadful.

Not great.

Not going to get away with performances like that against better teams though.
    Agree. But we will beat worse teams and I think there will be more worse teams than better teams.

Why do people keep mentioning Colwill? Mick hardly played him last season and I can't see him picking him ahead of the seniors he currently favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Agree. But we will beat worse teams and I think there will be more worse teams than better teams.
    Barnsley were pretty bad for large parts of the game. But I agree, I think there's a lot more Barnsleys out there this season.

It definitely wasn't dreadful. Actually I thought that we played some reasonable football in the first half and could have been 2-0 up at the break (although Phillips did make one excellent save). Second half was poorer. If you look at individual players performances, I thought that most of them played ok, with the best being Ralls, Flint, Bagan, Giles and Collins. For his first game, Mcguiness played well also. The stand out ‘weak link’ was Bacuna for me. People criticise the manager for playing him out of position but I would like to know what his best position is ? His problem is definitely his lack of work rate and commitment and the fact that he doesn't tackle and lets opposition players run past him. At this level you cant carry players, especially midfielders. He definitely wasn't the only one to have a below average game - NG looked hesitant first half and gave possession away, although he improved after the break, Nelson was poor passing and distribution wise all game all sometimes looks like he is stuck in constant ‘panic mode’ with some of his clearances. Overall take the point, move on and look to get Morrison, Colwill, Moore and Vaulks back into the team as soon as possible. Barnsley are not that bad a side.

As always there were some decent performances Phillips Flint Pack, Giles being the MOTM easily
    Some okay performances, McGuinness on his debut, Ralls Bagan Collins. and some poor performances, Bacuna Nelson and Ng.
    Bacuna is not an attacking midfielder, Nelson just hoofed it anywhere and Ng had so many good games after he joined us, I was expecting more of the same.
    Morrison, Moore ,Tomlin, Colwill Murphy and Vaulks all to come back
    It won't change our style of play too much, but we have to hope that playing Tomlin or Colwill as a 10 will make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Why do people keep mentioning Colwill? Mick hardly played him last season and I can't see him picking him ahead of the seniors he currently favours.
    Because he is a very good prospect. He is only just turned 19 and played the first half of last season for the under 23’s. You don't just throw a young inexperienced player into the first team and let him get on with it. He played six first team games towards the end of the season which was about right, looked good in all of them and that sets him up nicely to make this season his breakthrough year. And in case you missed it, he had covid in the summer which is why he didn't start yesterday, as he has only just returned to training.

According to Twitter, McCarthy thought Bacuna was "brilliant" yesterday and was "delighted with his overall performance" so I guess we'll be seeing more Leandro masterclasses whilst genuine attacking players rot on the bench

We have some right bewties “supporting” us. I personally couldn’t give a fcuk how we play…as long as we win.

Fans trotting out “hoofball” …and slagging off Pack (our fittest, and best passing midfielder) seem to be the most popular…just jumping on the bandwagon, with no actual idea what they’re actually talking about !

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Murphy and Harris *should* realistically be ahead of him.

Trouble with CCFC is as soon as people get a hold of a name, be it in this situation or a transfer rumour, that player instantly becomes a messiah.

Not dreadful. Just disappointing. And predictable. MM just can't adapt. I thought that Giles, Pack, Ralls, Collins and even Bacuna despite his misses played well. I actually think that with a decent manager this team could play a bit of football and do well. To me, MM is the weakest link. I'd sack him tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not dreadful. Just disappointing. And predictable. MM just can't adapt. I thought that Giles, Pack, Ralls, Collins and even Bacuna despite his misses played well. I actually think that with a decent manager this team could play a bit of football and do well. To me, MM is the weakest link. I'd sack him tomorrow.

I was sorting some stuff out in the boot of my car in the car park post match when a husband and wife returned to the car next to me.
    He says "not a bad match that luv" and she replies "no, I think that's the best I've seen us play in years".
    Opinions eh! But we're all entitled to them even if their off the scale barmy.

I thought the game had its moments, exciting at times, but actual quality was hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You did so well until the last sentence

One thing really stood out for me - how uncomfortable we were with the ball at our feet. Virtually every time a defender or midfielder got the ball it was knocked forward without any thought. We could have had Kane, Grealish and Messi playing for us and they'd have spent the game chasing lost causes.

As soon as we spread the ball out wide we started to cause problems...... So we spotted doing it 🤷🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    One thing really stood out for me - how uncomfortable we were with the ball at our feet. Virtually every time a defender or midfielder got the ball it was knocked forward without any thought. We could have had Kane, Grealish and Messi playing for us and they'd have spent the game chasing lost causes.
    So many misplaced passes it was ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    You did so well until the last sentence
    So you agree that MM is the weakest link. But you wouldn't sack him tomorrow?

No real playmaker in midfield hence the hoof and chase. Bacuna is simply not good enough at this level and McCarthey is showing poor judgement in playing him in that no.10 role. City will suffer if he persists in playing him. Send him out on loan. Mark Harris would have been a much better fit alongside Collins who looks very useful. Ryan Giles has made a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Valebluebird View Post
    No real playmaker in midfield hence the hoof and chase. Bacuna is simply not good enough at this level and McCarthey is showing poor judgement in playing him in that no.10 role. City will suffer if he persists in playing him. Send him out on loan. Mark Harris would have been a much better fit alongside Collins who looks very useful. Ryan Giles has made a good start.
    We miss midfield out whoever we play there in my opinion mate. Chipped balls out wide, hoofed balls out wide etc etc so easy and predictable to read teams just amble back knowing full well what we're gonna do with the ball.

We should have signed a quality midfielder (or two) during the summer. There's still time.
    Lots of people saying Ralls had a good game, but I thought he was anonymous. I like Pack for his effort and work rate, but for all his graft, he doesn't seem to make much difference.
    Dare I say it? 4-4-2 looks a better option.