+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's Attendances

Yesterday's Attendances

Some interesting crowds across the divisions yesterday:

31,549 - Sunderland v Wigan (League One)
    29,043 - Sheffield United v Birmingham (Championship)
    21,037 - Ipswich v Morecambe (League One)
    19,068 - Stoke v Reading (Championship)
    18,729 - Bristol City v Blackpool (Championship)
    17,639 - Charlton v Sheffield Wednesday (League One)
    17,431 - Cardiff v Barnsley (Championship)
    16,087 - Bolton v MK Dons (League One)
    12,452 - Preston v Hull (Championship)
    10,260 - Blackburn v Swansea (Championship)
    10,019 - Luton v Peterborough (Championship)

The attendances at Derby and QPR weren't declared for some reason.

City's crowd of 17,431 was well down on the last five pre-Covid games at the CCS (22,393 v Brentford, 21,273 v Nottingham Forest, 21,287 v Wigan, 22,518 v Reading, 22,516 v West Brom).

Re: Yesterday's Attendances

I thought our crowd would be around that mark.

Suprised at the Ipswich crowd.

Sunderland incredible support.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I thought our crowd would be around that mark.
    It'll be interesting to see if City's crowds get back to pre-Covid levels any time soon. I think it'll be a struggle for a variety of reasons, but if the team puts together a winning run then who knows?

I thought we would have had more than that.
    But then you hear about those that have sadly been lost around you.
    I reckon quite a few were watching the Lions instead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if City's crowds get back to pre-Covid levels any time soon. I think it'll be a struggle for a variety of reasons, but if the team puts together a winning run then who knows?
    I think the relatively late lifting of restrictions (compared to England) may have hindered Cardiff's attendance a little

That, along with the club's historically poor marketing, unattractive football and various (perfectly valid) personal concerns with regards to safety a lower crowd wasn't a huge surprise but it was disappointing

I'm not considering attending until I've had a booster jab..

First Team

At a guess, for many people, going to a game is a habit which has now been broken.
    Obviously outside factors at play but I do wonder if ,for a lot of people , it will be a real effort to start going again.

I was surprised by the number of fans (admittedly all of the "older" generation) who were there despite having serious reservations around the potential covid risks of being in that environment. I would take a guess that there were a significant number with similar concerns who decided not to attend.

Thought the crowd was as expected . People have lost the habit and some scared of going .

Its nothing to worry about .

Our attendance yesterday was the 4th highest in the Championship. Most were predicting an abysmal attendance and 17500 is good considering the holiday time of year and unfashionable opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Our attendance yesterday was the 4th highest in the Championship. Most were predicting an abysmal attendance and 17500 is good considering the holiday time of year and unfashionable opposition.
    The last time City played 'unfashionable' Barnsley at home it was in early-December 2019. The attendance back then was 21,380.

Meanwhile, when City last played a home game at this time of year (10/08/2019), it was unfashionable Luton who were the visitors. The crowd that day was 24,724.

As for your bizarre 'most were predicting an abysmal attendance' claim, who exactly are these people to which you refer? In the only thread I can find mentioning Saturday's attendance, the predictions were 16,000, 18,000, 23,000 and 25,000. Meanwhile, in another thread you were predicting "attendances will be up this season across the board."

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Thought the crowd was as expected . People have lost the habit and some scared of going .

Its nothing to worry about .
    This..

Plus many lost jobs or had hours cut during the last 18 months or so i'm sure that's had a say on the attendance to.

The last time City played 'unfashionable' Barnsley at home it was in early-December 2019. The attendance back then was 21,380.

Meanwhile, when City last played a home game at this time of year (10/08/2019), it was unfashionable Luton who were the visitors. The crowd that day was 24,724.

As for your bizarre 'most were predicting an abysmal attendance' claim, who exactly are these people to which you refer? In the only thread I can find mentioning Saturday's attendance, the predictions were 16,000, 18,000, 23,000 and 25,000. Meanwhile, in another thread you were predicting "attendances will be up this season across the board."
    I think the main reason for lower attendances is the drop in season ticket numbers, which tends to happen gradually after relegation ( some bought in the hope of prem football 2 years back, then it was the hope of promotion)

A couple of years of fairly bland football and no real hope of a promotion challenge, plus ticket office closures, confusion, lack of exciting signings etc and it’s a few thousand down again.

Slightly worrying and a pity we couldn’t win yesterday as a good start would have helped

You are truly an argumentative person, aren't you?

See you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    You are truly an argumentative person, aren't you?
    Great contribution. I’ve missed these insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I think the main reason for lower attendances is the drop in season ticket numbers, which tends to happen gradually after relegation ( some bought in the hope of prem football 2 years back, then it was the hope of promotion)

A couple of years of fairly bland football and no real hope of a promotion challenge, plus ticket office closures, confusion, lack of exciting signings etc and it’s a few thousand down again.

Slightly worrying and a pity we couldn’t win yesterday as a good start would have helped
    Lots of older fans may feel it is not safe to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Very True, with the amount of long balls we play, there's a good chance that someone might get their dentures knocked out.

It’s holiday season, there was fuss about booking at short notice and last year’s efforts would not have helped but I expected a few thousand more nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Hasn’t been any bother for years you know…..

Just to add, Derby had 16k with 2000 away fans, which is a huge drop for them

QPR had 16k for a London derby with Millwall bringing 2500… which is about par for previous seasons for them

QPR had 16k for a London derby with Millwall bringing 2500… which is about par for previous seasons for them

Derby have not been permitted to sell season tickets, hence why the drop in attendance

20,800 at Coventry today.

20,800 at Coventry today.
    Might have expected a sell out there under the circumstances and also a large away following.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Might have expected a sell out there under the circumstances and also a large away following.
    Hardly. The capacity is something like 32,500. I don’t think Coventry have even come close to that for a league game.

Hardly. The capacity is something like 32,500. I don’t think Coventry have even come close to that for a league game.
    I dare say they never got close to that at Highfield Road?