+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frightening.

Frightening.

Feel free to put this on the politics board if you want to mods because, like so much today, this is thought of as political although I'm bemused as to why it should be - it should be beyond that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58130705

Re: Frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Feel free to put this on the politics board if you want to mods because, like so much today, this is thought of as political although I'm bemused as to why it should be - it should be beyond that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58130705
    It's terrifying. It's the single biggest issue that any government or individual should be concerned about. I've read alot about mass extinction events over the lockdown and it seems we've already triggered one. It occupies a great deal of my thoughts and time and I'd hoped that the Pandemic would be a trigger to a better society and that there would be no return to the old normal. That ship has sadly sailed.

You're right, it shouldn't be political but it's become political and it's all gone crazy. I'm genuinely down about it and have nothing positive left, to be honest.

Climate change = fact
    How to respond to this fact = political. Ideally, we'd all be on the same side on this one but we know that...

In run up to Mayor of London election prominent Tory and billionaire hedge fund manager Sir Michael Hintze donated the following to Mr Johnson:
    - £2,000 in December 2007
    - £2,000 in February 2008
    - £1,000 in March 2008.

Sir Michael, (who is prominent Tory party doner) is the financial backer of the climate science denial group the Global Warming Policy Foundation.

Let's fast forward to December 2010 when BJ wrote this article for the Telegraph. In it he promoted the work of well know climate change denier Piers Corbyn.

... thread continues: https://twitter.com/WillHayCardiff/s...99022867156992

We won't see over a hundred thousand dead from climate change in a year and therefore this gradual but awful process is less of a vote loser. Sadly, as poor as the UK is on it there are other nations doing their best to be much, much worse.

It's Bo**ocks quite honestly. Temperatures have fluctuated throughout millenia.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    It's Bo**ocks quite honestly. Temperatures have fluctuated throughout millenia.....
    Something is bollocks. But it isn't the IPCC report.

Quite honestly!

I think it was last January some time, and there had been extremely cold weather in the eastern USA, and the scientists said it was a knock-on effect of climate change. So if it's cold it's climate change, if it's windy it's climate change. If it's hot it's climate change. If it's wet -or dry- it's climate change.
    China is building/financing 100's of coal-fired plants across the globe, whilst Boris is telling us to rip out boilers and scrap our cars, just for the sake of politics.

Im sure it will lead to mass extinction but we aren't immortal. I dont really see the point of the UK doing a great deal about this as unless the whole world comes together its going to be such a small contribution.

Climate does change over millennia. This is anthropogenic climate change. Fact us, humans are altering the climate leading to extreme weather events within the overall climate change scenario. I think I've already posted on here, a few years back, a conversation with one of the IPCC members the long and short of it being that even if humans ceased all carbon emissions, today, irreversible climate change will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    ..... Fact us, humans are altering the climate leading to extreme weather events within the overall climate change scenario........the long and short of it being that even if humans ceased all carbon emissions, today, irreversible climate change will continue.
    Humans are NOT affecting Climate Change......Cows farting emit more damage to the atmosphere.....

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think it was last January some time, and there had been extremely cold weather in the eastern USA, and the scientists said it was a knock-on effect of climate change. So if it's cold it's climate change, if it's windy it's climate change. If it's hot it's climate change. If it's wet -or dry- it's climate change.
    China is building/financing 100's of coal-fired plants across the globe, whilst Boris is telling us to rip out boilers and scrap our cars, just for the sake of politics.
    It's hardly a surprise that you, of all people, have a complete lack of understanding.

Firstly, climatologists scientists DO NOT attribute singular items to Climate Change. They simply don't. There was a town in Canada getting 48 degrees temperatures this summer. CANADA!

We are seeing more extreme weather events, that much is factual. The climate is changing. That much is factual. The planet has heated up 1.1 degrees celsius since the Industrial Revolution. That much is also factual.

You make a decent point about "what is the point in us doing anything when China are building loads of power stations". It is a decent point, but knowing that burning fossil fuels adds CO2 to the atmosphere and that contributes to climate change (again, this is fact) - if you walk down a street where there is loads of litter, do you chuck your empty crisp packet or juice carton on the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Climate does change over millennia. This is anthropogenic climate change. Fact us, humans are altering the climate leading to extreme weather events within the overall climate change scenario. I think I've already posted on here, a few years back, a conversation with one of the IPCC members the long and short of it being that even if humans ceased all carbon emissions, today, irreversible climate change will continue.
    I think I remember reading something along the lines of "If the whole world stopped producing carbon emissions, it would take 30-50 years for the temperatures to stop rising.

For some old fogeys, they will see this as not their problem because, in 30-50 years, they will be dead anyway. This gives them carte blanche to act like selfish dickheads, much the same as people refusing to wear masks because "I won't get ill/ I already had it/ wearing a mask is too difficult". Selfish pricks the lot of them.

Humans are NOT affecting Climate Change......Cows farting emit more damage to the atmosphere.....
    Strange, then, that there are billions of observations that show that humans are causing climate change. You make a good point about cows farting, which is also why reducing eating meat will have a positive impact on the environment.

I don't think many people will doubt the planet temperature is increasing slightly....but the point is that it has ALWAYS done so...and has ALWAYS regulated itself over time......Gaia Earth will right itself and continue regardless of what pissing restrictions are put in place in modern societies.
    It is N OT caused by humans, but by natural evolution of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    I think I remember reading something along the lines of "If the whole world stopped producing carbon emissions, it would take 30-50 years for the temperatures to stop rising.

For some old fogeys, they will see this as not their problem because, in 30-50 years, they will be dead anyway. This gives them carte blanche to act like selfish dickheads, much the same as people refusing to wear masks because "I won't get ill/ I already had it/ wearing a mask is too difficult". Selfish pricks the lot of them.
    I think that some people seem to think that mask wearing, Climate change etc, is a Leftist agenda, another way of authority telling 'us' what is right for us. Some people seem to think that they can do whatever the want, without restriction or consideration for others. We have experienced that sentiment politically for some time.

Addendum:
    What these scientists have failed to tell the world today is that Human CO2 makes up less than 1% of the 3.6% of the total greenhouse gases influencing our climate. The scientists have also chosen to look at just a 100 or so years of data to support their case that Humans are to blame for climate change. If you look at a broader period then from 1000AD to 1350AD the world went through a Warm Period called the Medieval Warm Period and then from about 1350AD to 1900AD the world went through a cold period. This period was know as the Little Ice Age and the Vikings who had settled in Iceland abandoned their settlement. In 1576AD - 1610AD Frobisher, Hudson, Bylot, & Foxe probed the Arctic regions West of Greenland but couldn't penetrate the Ice no further than Hudson Bay. The world left the Colder/Little Ice Age period about 1900 and whilst the temperature has been slowly increasing it is still considerably lower than the Medieval Warm Period.

humans are having a big effect on the climate. you clearly haven't understood the science.

and who do you think is to blame for all the cows?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I can’t believe we are this far into it with so much evidence and people are still this ignorant to the facts. If you want to bury your heads in the sand fair enough but there is more than enough evidence that it’s happening and that it’s man made.

They stopped calling it global warming and started calling it climate change because some people couldn’t grasp that temperatures rising can lead to extreme weathers of all types. Yet there are two people in this thread still saying things like this.

I don't think many people will doubt the planet temperature is increasing slightly....but the point is that it has ALWAYS done so...and has ALWAYS regulated itself over time......Gaia Earth will right itself and continue regardless of what pissing restrictions are put in place in modern societies.
    It is N OT caused by humans, but by natural evolution of the planet.
    This couldn’t be more wrong and not only has it been proven there is a bucket load of evidence out there. I find this board exhausting to read these days because of how ignorant people are of genuine facts.

You would think Maurice and Monkfish would be a bit more humble after how wrong they were about covid but it appears ignorance is still bliss.

Tundra melting will continue to release methane into the atmosphere....a far more potential driver of climate change. Which in turn accelerates the rate at which tundra melts. Not good.

I suppose it’s impressive in a weird way how the same people who spoke with such certainty on here about Covid (a decease that was only recognised a few months earlier) eighteen months ago and we’re consistently proved to be completely and utterly wrong can be so utterly certain that global warming is not a problem despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

and that it’s man made. ....NO - that is NOT proven in any way.

and...wrong about Covid???

Addendum:
    What these scientists have failed to tell the world today is that Human CO2 makes up less than 1% of the 3.6% of the total greenhouse gases influencing our climate. The scientists have also chosen to look at just a 100 or so years of data to support their case that Humans are to blame for climate change. If you look at a broader period then from 1000AD to 1350AD the world went through a Warm Period called the Medieval Warm Period and then from about 1350AD to 1900AD the world went through a cold period. This period was know as the Little Ice Age and the Vikings who had settled in Iceland abandoned their settlement. In 1576AD - 1610AD Frobisher, Hudson, Bylot, & Foxe probed the Arctic regions West of Greenland but couldn't penetrate the Ice no further than Hudson Bay. The world left the Colder/Little Ice Age period about 1900 and whilst the temperature has been slowly increasing it is still considerably lower than the Medieval Warm Period.
    Um....climate change scientists have not chosen the last hundred years. Its just that the last hundred years (or so) provides direct measurement of climate change indicators.....which prove anthropogenic climate change on top of natural climate change. Cold spells can be partly attributed to volcanic activity. And, of course, climate does vary naturally. The analysis of lacustrine varves, ice cores and dendorochronology show how climate change over thousands of years has seen warmer and colder spells. It's the climate warming leading to extreme weather events in the last few decades that are attributable to human-induced climate change. Changes which will continue to be exacerbated by human action for decades to come.

"utterly certain that global warming is not a problem"...no-one is saying it is not a problem....just the cause of the problem.....

From this thread alone you can see how doomed we are.

Proper change won't happen until its far too late. We are conditioned to kick things down the line, only when things directly effect us do most people take action that is costly or inconvenient.

How do you convince developing nations in particular to make these changes, not necessarily for themselves but certainly for future generations.

Yet when something like covid happens that directly effects us now, we can shut down economies, launch billions at a problem and within a very short period of time have solutions.

"attributable to human-induced climate change."
    where is the PROOF for that as opposed to natural earth changes?
    #