+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frightening.

Re: Frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    One of the most frightening things is the way in which this warming period is different from the previous ones.

In the historical warming period there would have been some kind of external factor like increased solar activity or something that would have warmed the earth into releasing a lot more carbon into the atmosphere, which then continued the warming a long time after the initial stimulus for it had ended.
    In all previous warmings the increase in atmospheric carbon happens after the initial warming.

In this warming it is the atmospheric carbon that we have pumped into the atmosphere that is causing the initial warming, and this in turn will trigger the even more warming that occurs when other sources of atmospheric carbon are released. It is already happening, and it may be impossible to avoid now.
    You can roughly calculate the amount of carbon released to the atmosphere from human activities and you can measure the amount of excess carbon in the atmosphere causing the warming and the amounts stack up really well.
    So, things could possibly get worse if we seee increased solar activity? Maybe we need a Carrington event to bring us to a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I always think that a person’s belief about climate change is a good rough litmus test about their IQ and education.
    In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    An interesting graph:

Attachment 4502
    Another interesting graph on this page which shows that global temperatures fell during the medieval warm period and that the temperature rise since the industrial revolution is like nothing the planet has experienced since BC became AD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

An interesting graph:

Attachment 4502
    Humans have been around for about half a pixel of that graph.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Human farmers or the other sort?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Addendum:
    What these scientists have failed to tell the world today is that Human CO2 makes up less than 1% of the 3.6% of the total greenhouse gases influencing our climate. The scientists have also chosen to look at just a 100 or so years of data to support their case that Humans are to blame for climate change. If you look at a broader period then from 1000AD to 1350AD the world went through a Warm Period called the Medieval Warm Period and then from about 1350AD to 1900AD the world went through a cold period. This period was know as the Little Ice Age and the Vikings who had settled in Iceland abandoned their settlement. In 1576AD - 1610AD Frobisher, Hudson, Bylot, & Foxe probed the Arctic regions West of Greenland but couldn't penetrate the Ice no further than Hudson Bay. The world left the Colder/Little Ice Age period about 1900 and whilst the temperature has been slowly increasing it is still considerably lower than the Medieval Warm Period.
    winter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I suppose it’s impressive in a weird way how the same people who spoke with such certainty on here about Covid (a decease that was only recognised a few months earlier) eighteen months ago and we’re consistently proved to be completely and utterly wrong can be so utterly certain that global warming is not a problem despite all of the evidence to the contrary.
    And it seems they also all supported Brexit; there's a pattern developing here surely?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

I always think that a person’s belief about climate change is a good rough litmus test about their IQ and education.
    There are facts that are cannot be ignored.
    Some people wrongly interpret opinions as facts.
    Some opinions, yet to be backed up by facts, could eventually be true.

I have followed this thread and have weighed up the polarized arguments.

Introducing the notion of IQ (or lack of it) to a particular side of a debate is not helpful.

Totally agree Sir Jim, how anyone can deny human implication in this impending catastrophe is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    And why are there so many cows?
    Yeah it's not just the cows, all those sentient cars and factories throw out loads of pollution too. Why are we blaming humans for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    In what way?

Got to read that as you decide.
    There’s a kind of induced pseudo religious fervour on the subject so you can’t address it logically and if you do you could get stoned in the market square.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's terrifying. It's the single biggest issue that any government or individual should be concerned about. I've read alot about mass extinction events over the lockdown and it seems we've already triggered one. It occupies a great deal of my thoughts and time and I'd hoped that the Pandemic would be a trigger to a better society and that there would be no return to the old normal. That ship has sadly sailed.

You're right, it shouldn't be political but it's become political and it's all gone crazy. I'm genuinely down about it and have nothing positive left, to be honest.
    Totally agree with you. Very worrying indeed. People need to wake up to this.
    Spedger

Got to read that as you decide.
    There’s a kind of induced pseudo religious fervour on the subject so you can’t address it logically and if you do you could get stoned in the market square.
    What a cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What a cop out.

https://youtu.be/FQ5YU_spBw0

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    And why are there so many cows?
    When a daddy cow and a mummy cow love each other very much...hang on a sec, that's Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    When a daddy cow and a mummy cow love each other very much...hang on a sec, that's Bull.
    Tell us the udder one

I think we should listen to Jeremy Clarkson 🤔

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think it was last January some time, and there had been extremely cold weather in the eastern USA, and the scientists said it was a knock-on effect of climate change. So if it's cold it's climate change, if it's windy it's climate change. If it's hot it's climate change. If it's wet -or dry- it's climate change.
    China is building/financing 100's of coal-fired plants across the globe, whilst Boris is telling us to rip out boilers and scrap our cars, just for the sake of politics.

Interesting to note that one of the reasons that China needs more electricity generated is because it’s exporting increasing volumes of goods to the West.

Perhaps if we stopped buying their stuff it would have a significant impact on the country’s carbon emissions

I know the west won’t follow this.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think we should listen to Jeremy Clarkson ��
    why what does he have to say?

why what does he have to say?

You should also listen to David Bellamy… he’s now been de-platformed as his views don’t fit the current narrative 😂

He also mentioned the Ice - Age

humans are having a big effect on the climate. you clearly haven't understood the science.

and who do you think is to blame for all the cows?
    man cows

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    You should also listen to David Bellamy… he’s now been de-platformed as his views don’t fit the current narrative ��

He also mentioned the Ice - Age
    well he died of dementia in 2019 so not really deplatformed.
    In his foreword to the 1989 book The Greenhouse Effect,[23] Bellamy wrote:

The profligate demands of humankind are causing far-reaching changes to the atmosphere of planet Earth, of this there is no doubt. Earth's temperature is showing an upward swing, the so-called greenhouse effect, now a subject of international concern. The greenhouse effect may melt the glaciers and ice caps of the world, causing the sea to rise and flood many of our great cities and much of our best farmland.

Bellamy's later statements on global warming indicate that he subsequently changed his views. A letter he published on 16 April 2005 in New Scientist asserted that a large proportion (555 of 625) of the glaciers being observed by the World Glacier Monitoring Service were advancing, not retreating.[24] George Monbiot of The Guardian tracked down Bellamy's original source for this information and found that it was from discredited data originally published by Fred Singer, who claimed to have obtained these figures from a 1989 article in the journal Science; however, Monbiot proved that this article had never existed.[25] Bellamy subsequently accepted that his figures on glaciers were wrong, and announced in a letter to The Sunday Times in 2005 that he had "decided to draw back from the debate on global warming"

It seems Sicily experienced the highest temperature ever recorded in Europe today - 48.8 degrees C.

Mad how these alternative facts are always so easy to disprove.

He’s been deplatformed got me though

Cancelled from his mortal platform!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It seems Sicily experienced the highest temperature ever recorded in Europe today - 48.8 degrees C.
    I think people who are 40 or under have had a record temperature every year of their lives.

Also can people not remember how vastly different winters used to be? The Earth’s temperature has be known to change but over 1000s of years, not 50.