+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: MOT for car registered in Guernsey

MOT for car registered in Guernsey

Mt son boughT a car last year.

It was originally registered in Guernsey but before he bought it it was the registered in the UKopn !st August 2020.

The date of Guernsey registration was September 2018, so by this reckoning the MOT should be due on September 5th 2021.

However when he spoke to his garage the said they had checked with the the DVSA and the first MOT was not due until 31st July 2023 (i.e. 3 years after the UK registration)

He has looked on the government website www.check-mot.service.gov.uk and that also says 31st July 2023.

He has tried to phone DVSA to check this on 0300 123 9000 but just gets stuck in a queue.

He doesn't mind waiting to get his MOT done obviously, it will save him money but is just wants to double check that the date is correct. He doesn't want to end up in September this month with invalid insurance because he has no MOT.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Re: MOT for car registered in Guernsey

I get it mot sept this year,Insurance companys can be funny buggers with loop holes should he have a bump.

Isn't this enough for him?

"However when he spoke to his garage the said they had checked with the the DVSA and the first MOT was not due until 31st July 2023 (i.e. 3 years after the UK registration)

He has looked on the government website www.check-mot.service.gov.uk and that also says 31st July 2023."

This government website says "You must get an MOT for your vehicle by either:

the third anniversary of its registration
    the anniversary of its last MOT, if it’s over 3 years old"

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

So, it is confirming what the garage told him and what he found for himself when he checked.

Edit
    It wouldn't surprise me if the computer said "no" if he tries to get an MOT too early.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Isn't this enough for him?

"However when he spoke to his garage the said they had checked with the the DVSA and the first MOT was not due until 31st July 2023 (i.e. 3 years after the UK registration)

He has looked on the government website www.check-mot.service.gov.uk and that also says 31st July 2023."

This government website says "You must get an MOT for your vehicle by either:

the third anniversary of its registration
    the anniversary of its last MOT, if it’s over 3 years old"

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

So, it is confirming what the garage told him and what he found for himself when he checked.

Edit
    It wouldn't surprise me if the computer said "no" if he tries to get an MOT too early.

I would guess that he and the garage have both checked the same website. But it just seems strange that there is a loophole that allows anyone to get away with 5 years before they have to do an MOT. Potentially unsafe for one thing. My son will be careful to service the car regularly, in fact he is getting done on schedule next month. But some aren't so fussy particularly after the warranty runs out which is 3 years on many cars.

I am pretty certain from watching too many Wheeler Dealers that if you tried to re register a Guernsey car after 3 years you would need to get an MOT before you could get a UK registration.

He will obviously keep trying to speak to an actual person to confirm, I just thought someone here may have had the same problem.

And yes we already realised that the computer would say no if we tried to get an MOT too early. That is what his garage said.

Thanks anyway.