+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh cricket- garbage

Welsh cricket- garbage

Neither Glamorgan or Welsh Fire in the hundred look any good to me. Look at the league tables. No matter what competition they are in, they’re struggling. Last nights game at Edgbaston saw Welsh Fire easily despatched by a Phoenix team who were much better. They even had a bowler who took a hat trick. I could have done better with the bat. As for the bowling, two balls left in the Phoenix innings, and he bowls two full tosses and conceded 10 runs in the process. I would have sacked him after the match. At that level, it shouldn’t happen. Most Welsh cricket fans with long memories ,probably wish they could have. a Don Shepherd or Majid Khan back in their team. Those were the days……..

Re: Welsh cricket- garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Neither Glamorgan or Welsh Fire in the hundred look any good to me. Look at the league tables. No matter what competition they are in, they’re struggling. Last nights game at Edgbaston saw Welsh Fire easily despatched by a Phoenix team who were much better. They even had a bowler who took a hat trick. I could have done better with the bat. As for the bowling, two balls left in the Phoenix innings, and he bowls two full tosses and conceded 10 runs in the process. I would have sacked him after the match. At that level, it shouldn’t happen. Most Welsh cricket fans with long memories ,probably wish they could have. a Don Shepherd or Majid Khan back in their team. Those were the days……..
    I think you'll find that Glamorgan top their 50 over competition table.

As if a WUM like you would care.

Even though it is very welcome, we can’t kid ourselves as to why we are top of the group. We all know why don’t we?

Glammy have been very competitive in the four day stuff and are doing very well in the one day Cup. Terrible in T20 but overall a decent season.

Got the Welsh Fire women’s game on and they’re woeful - simple catches dropped, wickets taken off no balls, fielding errors, full tosses and long hops galore and that’s before we see the batting order in which the tail starts at about number five. The commentators have just said that they’ve conceded 207 runs since they last took a wicket! I know one of the best Australians was supposed to be playing for them (Lanning?), but whoever was responsible for their recruitment has some serious questions to answer because they’ve ended up with an obviously weaker team than nearly every one they face when the system for putting a side together is meant spread the talent out quite equally.

the hundred doesn't look any good to me.
    Could have stopped there. Would rather sh-t on my hands and clap than watch that faux Super League rubbish.

I won't even start how ridiculous it is to be playing it during a test series vs India.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Got the Welsh Fire women’s game on and they’re woeful - simple catches dropped, wickets taken off no balls, fielding errors, full tosses and long hops galore and that’s before we see the batting order in which the tail starts at about number five. The commentators have just said that they’ve conceded 207 runs since they last took a wicket! I know one of the best Australians was supposed to be playing for them (Lanning?), but whoever was responsible for their recruitment has some serious questions to answer because they’ve ended up with an obviously weaker team than nearly every one they face when the system for putting a side together is meant spread the talent out quite equally.
    My knowledge of the women's cricket is sadly too limited to say how they have been affected by the various changes that have taken place since the postponement from last year.

As far as the men's are concerned all teams were of course affected by the changes,but Welsh Fire seem to have been particularly unfortunate. First to lose Smith and Starc, then Richardson, his replacement Ngidi followed by Pollard, Plunkett and Ball to injury, then Bairstow to the England Squad. Add to this Banton (who I have seen play really well) can't seem to buy a run and it is perhaps it is not surprising that they have done poorly particularly after Bairstow left after a few games. They do seem to have a pretty long tail though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    My knowledge of the women's cricket is sadly too limited to say how they have been affected by the various changes that have taken place since the postponement from last year.

As far as the men's are concerned all teams were of course affected by the changes,but Welsh Fire seem to have been particularly unfortunate. First to lose Smith and Starc, then Richardson, his replacement Ngidi followed by Pollard, Plunkett and Ball to injury, then Bairstow to the England Squad. Add to this Banton (who I have seen play really well) can't seem to buy a run and it is perhaps it is not surprising that they have done poorly particularly after Bairstow left after a few games. They do seem to have a pretty long tail though.
    I think all sides have been hit pretty badly by withdrawals, but when you see the names listed like that you have to sympathise with the men’s team. Banton has been struggling all season and players like Phillips, who was great forGloucestershire in the T20s, and Neesham have not been consistent with the bat. Even with Starc, I think the bowling would have been the weaker link for the Welsh Fire and, as it’s turned out, they’ve had more runs scored against them than any other team.

The women are playing the best team in the competition this afternoon, but it’s like watching a really strong county side taking on a crap minor county team in the old Nat West trophy, the contrast in batting power and timing between the sides has been huge and I’m sure the ECB won’t be happy that their much hyped new tournament is staging such a mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Could have stopped there. Would rather sh-t on my hands and clap than watch that faux Super League rubbish.

I won't even start how ridiculous it is to be playing it during a test series vs India.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

I'm quite enjoying the hundred. Fire are shit (and about to lose) but as a spectacle I quite like it. I like that it is on every night
    Don't get me wrong- I'd watch any test cricket ahead of it- but I was expecting to hate it but I just don't. It's quite good

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I'm quite enjoying the hundred. Fire are shit (and about to lose) but as a spectacle I quite like it. I like that it is on every night
    Don't get me wrong- I'd watch any test cricket ahead of it- but I was expecting to hate it but I just don't. It's quite good
    I agree, I really like it and have dipped in and out of a few matches.

I see no downsides to it if they are looking to grow cricket for a younger market.

Absolutely loved watching glamorgan last few weeks. Great cricket.

Welsh fire are a shocking side, that bowling lineup is beyond a joke. Fletcher aside they are just rubbish.

Not a fan of cricket generally but have come across a few of the 100 matches and actually stopped to watch for a while instead of instantly moving on.

Pretty easy to pick up and understand, think it will ultimately even convert a few to other formats.

Being on the BBC is a massive plus.

Baffled what The Hundred offers The Blast doesn’t. Totally baffled. Give me The Blast and a team that actually means something to me than this Hundred nonsense.

Dead rubber/wooden spoon next week at Sophia Gardens it is then, which is a shame for the punters as the only game being played there without restrictions as both teams look pretty abject. Decent chance both men’s and women’s finish bottom too.

I’ve enjoyed the competition for what it is, have tried to keep an open mind and not taken it too seriously. It’s basically t20 with a load of money and branding behind it, with a bit of a whiff of the emperors new clothes about it.

Looking forward to tomorrow and hopefully a semi final next week for Glammy.

The Hundred is the product that the T20 Blast should be. The quality of the blast is diluted with too many players
    in too many teams, more suited longer formats, whereas the Hundred has players specifically chosen for white ball cricket.
    The biggest winner I think is the women's game. Biggest crowds, widest TV coverage and the tournament being on the same footing as the mens version, has been a fantastic boost for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Baffled what The Hundred offers The Blast doesn’t. Totally baffled. Give me The Blast and a team that actually means something to me than this Hundred nonsense.
    What is The Blast and who plays in it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The Hundred is the product that the T20 Blast should be. The quality of the blast is diluted with too many players
    in too many teams, more suited longer formats, whereas the Hundred has players specifically chosen for white ball cricket.
    The biggest winner I think is the women's game. Biggest crowds, widest TV coverage and the tournament being on the same footing as the mens version, has been a fantastic boost for the game.

The Blast could be the same product if it had the money and terrestrial tv coverage. Plus punters would be supporting their own county and not some plastic franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    What is The Blast and who plays in it?

It’s T20 and Glammy play in it every season along with the other 17 counties. It’s 20 overs a side so a very slightly longer format than The Hundred. All the authorities needed to do was end the restrictions on overseas players so that counties could bring in more star players. Then get the coverage on terrestrial tv and market it hard like The Hundred and you would have the same product and you would be supporting your own county. There was never a need for The Hundred.

It’s T20 and Glammy play in it every season along with the other 17 counties. It’s 20 overs a side so a very slightly longer format than The Hundred. All the authorities needed to do was end the restrictions on overseas players so that counties could bring in more star players. Then get the coverage on terrestrial tv and market it hard like The Hundred and you would have the same product and you would be supporting your own county. There was never a need for The Hundred.
    Ahh I didn't realise the T20 format had a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Ahh I didn't realise the T20 format had a name.
    No worries. It hasn’t been marketed anywhere near hard enough.

I agree - but they didn't lift those restrictions and so the hundred is a better product. I say that as someone who hasn't been to a Glamorgan game in well over a decade. I go to t20/one day matches occasionally at the oval or lords but I am unashamedly an armchair cricket fan. I prefer the 20 over format because it just makes.more sense than the unnatural "decimal cricket" we see in the hundred, but the hundred is a purpose built slogfest and it's really good to watch.

Welsh fire should have been the great entertainers really. Power packed batting lineup and a bowling attack that run up and bowl pies.

Unfortunately for the fire, the bowlers have played as expected and the batsman just haven't turned up. Phillips innings tonight was awful, like watching a completely different player to the one who smashed glamorgan all around bristol

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Absolutely loved watching glamorgan last few weeks. Great cricket.

Welsh fire are a shocking side, that bowling lineup is beyond a joke. Fletcher aside they are just rubbish.
    Qais Ahmed is a good bowler as well. But two isn't enough. They would have had a much better chance if Pollard and Plunkett hadn't been injured and Richardson and Ngidi hadn't withdrawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Qais Ahmed is a good bowler as well. But two isn't enough. They would have had a much better chance if Pollard and Plunkett hadn't been injured and Richardson and Ngidi hadn't withdrawn.
    Starc aside I thought most of the bowlers they were linked with were pretty average . Would have been interested to see jhye Richardson mind, has the makings of a future star