+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rangers

Rangers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58137804

Shellshocked Rangers crashed out of the Champions League in the third qualifying round after losing to 10-man Malmo in front of a full Ibrox.

Re: Rangers

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

My heart bleeds...

Highlights how poor that league is when the champs keep failing at this stage.

One season wonder. Let’s see how good Gerrard is now. You don’t judge a manager by success, you judge him when things are going wrong and how he pulls it around. To be honest, I could probably manage Rangers in that league.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Highlights how poor that league is when the champs keep failing at this stage.
    They would beat us every week. With a much smaller budget than we enjoyed recently .

But hey ho .

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    One season wonder. Let’s see how good Gerrard is now. You don’t judge a manager by success, you judge him when things are going wrong and how he pulls it around. To be honest, I could probably manage Rangers in that league.
    To put Rangers back on top of Scottish football was huge, almost unbelievable.

I bore myself trying to explain football is all about money .

If it is escaping you , there is very little point going over it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    They would beat us every week. With a much smaller budget than we enjoyed recently .

But hey ho .

No they wouldn't.

You can usually make profit betting against the old firm in Europe, at these stages the bookmakers seem to undervalue their opposition.

Malmö wasn't an easy draw for them, but they should have done better by once they went down to 10 men. at that point they were going through I think as well .
    pity for them as they really could have done with the money to close the financial gap a bit with Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Malmö wasn't an easy draw for them, but they should have done better by once they went down to 10 men. at that point they were going through I think as well .
    pity for them as they really could have done with the money to close the financial gap a bit with Celtic.
    Read this in The Guardian this morning 'Malmö must celebrate pairings with Scottish opposition. A decade ago, they also defeated Rangers on Champions League qualifying business. They did likewise to Celtic in 2015. In between, they swaggered to a 7-0 win at Hibernian. The stuff of Swede dreams.'

I think Jimmy The Jock's right when he says 'To put Rangers back on top of Scottish football was huge, almost unbelievable.

I kind of like Gerrard and he's done an amazing job. I'd swap him with Mick any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Read this in The Guardian this morning 'Malmö must celebrate pairings with Scottish opposition. A decade ago, they also defeated Rangers on Champions League qualifying business. They did likewise to Celtic in 2015. In between, they swaggered to a 7-0 win at Hibernian. The stuff of Swede dreams.'

I think Jimmy The Jock's right when he says 'To put Rangers back on top of Scottish football was huge, almost unbelievable.

I kind of like Gerrard and he's done an amazing job. I'd swap him with Mick any day.
    Swap him with Mick??? I’d have him on the pitch, not on the sidelines!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

Yes Rangers' achievement last season was incredible, so it isn't surprising that they have a bit of a hangover this season.
    It's not good for the league though that there hasn't been any champions league money flowing into the league in a few years, with only 2 appearances in the group stages since 2015.
    Even Celtic's finances are a bit precarious now apparently, and the Scotish league is falling further behind other european ones.
    It used to be not much behind the premier league. These days it's broadly on a level with league one

Long may the demise of both of the old firm continue

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Swap him with Mick??? I’d have him on the pitch, not on the sidelines!
    I have to say, he does look in pretty good shape!

Yes Rangers' achievement last season was incredible, so it isn't surprising that they have a bit of a hangover this season.
    It's not good for the league though that there hasn't been any champions league money flowing into the league in a few years, with only 2 appearances in the group stages since 2015.
    Even Celtic's finances are a bit precarious now apparently, and the Scotish league is falling further behind other european ones.
    It used to be not much behind the premier league. These days it's broadly on a level with league one
    I've always found the Scottish Leagues difficult to gauge - even way back when the team names seemed like something out of an RPG. But it is all about the money and they're certainly falling behind the English League.

Think Celtic have turned a profit for 12 straight years, if that's precarious I'd hate to know what 99% of English clubs finances are, f****d I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

But hey ho .

I doubt that very much.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Think Celtic have turned a profit for 12 straight years, if that's precarious I'd hate to know what 99% of English clubs finances are, f****d I suppose
    They can still blow everyone else in scotland out of the water, but I was reading an article that suggested that they aren't as rich as they once were. And the lack of champions league money again isn't going to help.
    I expect them to win the league though, and a competitive rivalry with Rangers might help retain a bit more interest.
    There is a pitiful amount of money in the league though

Berget is doing well now that he's not playing for us, getting to play in Europe on a regular basis with Malmö ff