+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Canton Stand Last Night

Re: Canton Stand Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I think there’s a bit of rise tinted specs there Steve.

There was a hell of a lot worse in the 70s and 80s than putting a sick twist on the Jacks egg chasing song.

I’m certainly talking more about the 80s that the 70s and 60s - when all the songs you’ve mentioned above had petered out, but I’m sure similar stuff went on then as the 70s were just as bad as the 80s for what went on.

When we watch ‘It was OK in the 80s my kids can’t believe what we thought was acceptable/ funny then .

The kids in the Canton made a good deal of noise last night - and unlike the vast majority of our fans they turned up.

They are also the only ones who sing. The rest of the ground are quiet and will often look at you a bit weird if you have a go.

Some of the songs are crap, agreed .. although taking the piss out of the English in the Euros is childish but still funny.. as they would certainly have been letting us know has they won.

It’s still preferable to a morgue of a ground which is what it would be without them
    Spot on .

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Still doesn't make you right..just adds numbers to the English count.. Meaning the fans had one more English player in their team while singing anti England songs

Moore is from? Ashley Williams was from? Did they play for Wales? Anyway, that's a other debate, read his ****ing name out loud
    I think it makes me right that 10 players in that starting side were English. It is not a difficult concept although I agree it simply emphasises the idiocy of some of our fans and their anti-English outpourings.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I think it makes me right that 10 players in that starting side were English. It is not a difficult concept although I agree it simply emphasises the idiocy of some of our fans and their anti-English outpourings.
    Let me put it another way:

Supporting Cardiff City doesn’t have to be exclusively for Welsh people.
    I live in Bristol and have an English wife. I’ve brought our two boys to matches and have to explain to them why silly people are singing anti-English songs, which they find hard to understand. My wife is unlikely to ever come to a match because of this.
    They’re both both born in Bristol, but support Cardiff (and Wales).
    Having these idiots singing these songs is not only offensive, but also makes Cardiff fans look stupid.
    And before anyone comes back with the whole sheep thing, let’s remember that two wrongs don’t make a right.
    What happened in the past is completely irrelevant. We should be looking to the future and making our club as appealing to new supporters as possible or would people prefer English born sons of Welshman to support English teams?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post

I live in Bristol and have an English wife. I’ve brought our two boys to matches and have to explain to them why silly people are singing anti-English songs, which they find hard to understand. My wife is unlikely to ever come to a match because of this.
    Having these idiots singing these songs is not only offensive, but also makes Cardiff fans look stupid.
    And before anyone comes back with the whole sheep thing, let’s remember that two wrongs don’t make a right.
    What happened in the past is completely irrelevant. We should be looking to the future and making our club as appealing to new supporters as possible or would people prefer English born sons of Welshman to support English teams?
    I agree, not least as I have (primarily) lived in England since 1977!
    I also know a number of fans who are English but fortunate enough to be sons/daughters (and grandchildren) of Welshmen/women who regularly travel to our games and find the anti-English stuff embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I agree, not least as I have (primarily) lived in England since 1977!
    I also know a number of fans who are English but fortunate enough to be sons/daughters (and grandchildren) of Welshmen/women who regularly travel to our games and find the anti-English stuff embarrassing.
    Exactly. Wouldn’t it be great if every seat in the stadium was filled? So what if the fans have come from further afield! That means less supporters for other clubs!

First Team

Well I’m English and couldn’t give a second of concern to a few spotty herberts singing a song at a football match.
    No idea what any of the players think but I would imagine it would be pretty low on their list of concerns when signing to play for us or indeed the majority of the City followers from across the border.
    It has been with us for a while and I doubt it will go away anytime soon.
    Best response was from ( I think ) Bristol Rovers who responded with “ can you sing it in Welsh” followed up with “ you’re English and you know you are” .
    Not that I want to give credit to anything or anyone from Bristol I hasten to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Well I’m English and couldn’t give a second of concern to a few spotty herberts singing a song at a football match.
    No idea what any of the players think but I would imagine it would be pretty low on their list of concerns when signing to play for us or indeed the majority of the City followers from across the border.
    It has been with us for a while and I doubt it will go away anytime soon.
    Best response was from ( I think ) Bristol Rovers who responded with “ can you sing it in Welsh” followed up with “ you’re English and you know you are” .
    Not that I want to give credit to anything or anyone from Bristol I hasten to add.
    The Rovers reply is brilliant , and brings a smirk to most adult footy fans faces , its all about the footy banter family isn't it ?

Do you explain to them when silly little English people chant England and its coming home all game and anti Welsh stuff when we are playing English sides every week.
    Does that keep your wife from games as well?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Do you explain to them when silly little English people chant England and its coming home all game and anti Welsh stuff when we are playing English sides every week.
    Erm...Are you daft? She’s English, she joins in

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Erm...Are you daft? She’s English, she joins in
    Damn I wanted confrontation but you hit me with a joke and a laughing smiley
    Bugger.

One nil ......to the sheepshaggers

After a 89th minute winning goal

That's enough

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I certainly do! I’ve already mentioned about the songs that come back to us - just as stupid.
    Lots of people on here who don’t care about the chanting are of a certain age where it was normal. I don’t want my boys thinking it’s okay.
    I do like the Bristol Rovers comeback. Says it all, really.

I can add to this

my Wife is English, both my girls were born here in England ( though both deny they have any English in them and are as Welsh as anyone )

My wife has been coming to games for 20 years, she doesn't join in with the anti English songs, but why would she, but it certainly doesn't bother here now, I had warned her when she 1st started to watch us

My both girls will not join in with the anti English chants, but they do laugh at them, but that's because I have played the down as a bit of football banter

Now against Barnsley I brought up a few of my girls football team ( I've mentioned it ) and one of the girls is a outstanding GK, she is English and proud, her life goal is to play for England ladies team, she lives in her England shirts ( both outfield and GK ) when I said I would Bring the girls I told my daughter to tell her to not wear her shirt
    When the canton started to sing " footballs coming home " the girls loved it and sang as loud as she could, then when it turned into " they looked it up " she looked at me and looked really upset, I explained we are in Wales, its just rival banter, on the way home, she asked " when Wales were playing in the last 2 euro's I supported them but not in the England / Wales game, I explained that its just banter, she seemed happy with that and can't wait to return to watch city play

I guess it comes down to how you see it, do you take it for just some football banter and just ignore it or take it as offensive

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    now that's great stuff, its humorous and while it might anger the angry testosterone filled % of our fans, its once again, just football banter

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    now that's great stuff, its humorous and while it might anger the angry testosterone filled % of our fans, its once again, just football banter
    But, clever football banter, can you honestly say the majority of our lot’s football banter is clever? There is a difference.

But, clever football banter, can you honestly say the majority of our lot’s football banter is clever? There is a difference.
    It's a football match with thousands of fans attending there's bound to be something you won't agree with.
    If something affects you this much at games maybe take up something less traumatic

The more we criticise and even boo when anti Swansea and the like rubbish is being sang the better. It’s hard for me to understand the mentally of people who sing about paedophilia. I don’t want to be associated with them, wish they’d disappear and find somewhere else to peddle their idiocy. They are not supporting The City in any way, shape or form with their rubbish.
    So you want to boo something you don't agree with? Your just the same as the bunch who boo taking the knee..

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    So you want to boo something you don't agree with? Your just the same as the bunch who boo taking the knee..
    Hmm, comparing taking the knee with a paedophile song. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I guess it comes down to how you see it, do you take it for just some football banter and just ignore it or take it as offensive
    It's a good point but I think it doesn't always have to be either of those things. Some English people I've tried to get to go down and watch City on a regular basis who haven't been offended and take it as banter just found it irritating by the end of the 90 mins. They've never understood it when we had an English manager and several English players. But the thing that got them the most was that we play in the English League.

One of my mates who still lives in London used to regularly take me down to Highbury when we were working and living in London together. I never heard anti-Welsh songs being sung over several years. Likewise at other grounds and clubs in the English League. But I am hearing and reading more BTL comments from people who are questioning why we're even in it. There are new generations of fans who don't understand or give a toss about history or why we ended up where we are.

On a train a while ago there were about 30 Manchester City fans who sang for the hour's journey I was on and in all of that time their songs were ****ing hilarious (especially the one about Liverpool).

I think that total support for the players on the park and the club would be a good thing. Maybe more people in other parts of the ground would feel like joining in (like Sol Bamba's Last Christmas and the Sala song did). Then, the odd p*ss take of the England football team would have more impact and be funny. I think we're too obsessed with us being a Welsh club and not Cardiff City.

Slightly off-topic but at Wales matches something that drives me nuts is not singing the words to Men Of Harlech. There's been quite a few times a sizable group of fans has tried to get it going but it gets drowned out. I've always found that sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's a good point but I think it doesn't always have to be either of those things. Some English people I've tried to get to go down and watch City on a regular basis who haven't been offended and take it as banter just found it irritating by the end of the 90 mins. They've never understood it when we had an English manager and several English players. But the thing that got them the most was that we play in the English League.

One of my mates who still lives in London used to regularly take me down to Highbury when we were working and living in London together. I never heard anti-Welsh songs being sung over several years. Likewise at other grounds and clubs in the English League. But I am hearing and reading more BTL comments from people who are questioning why we're even in it. There are new generations of fans who don't understand or give a toss about history or why we ended up where we are.

On a train a while ago there were about 30 Manchester City fans who sang for the hour's journey I was on and in all of that time their songs were ****ing hilarious (especially the one about Liverpool).

I think that total support for the players on the park and the club would be a good thing. Maybe more people in other parts of the ground would feel like joining in (like Sol Bamba's Last Christmas and the Sala song did). Then, the odd p*ss take of the England football team would have more impact and be funny. I think we're too obsessed with us being a Welsh club and not Cardiff City.

Slightly off-topic but at Wales matches something that drives me nuts is not singing the words to Men Of Harlech. There's been quite a few times a sizable group of fans has tried to get it going but it gets drowned out. I've always found that sad.
    Ive been to Man City games in the past including the Manchester derby and they had a load of great songs.

However they also sung songs far worse than ours sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ive been to Man City games in the past including the Manchester derby and they had a load of great songs.

However, they also sung songs far worse than ours sing.
    Oh for sure. I didn't mean to imply they were angels it was just on the train journey. At a Spurs/Arsenal FA cup semi a while back with half of Old Trafford Spurs v Gooners it was ripe but at the same time, both sets of supporters had a great repertoire supporting their teams and players. As a neutral, I found it an amazing football experience.

Hmm, comparing taking the knee with a paedophile song. Very strange.
    Anti Swansea stuff i'm refering to.
    I've already stated my opinion in this thread regarding the Hymns and arias version

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Anti Swansea stuff i'm refering to.
    I've already stated my opinion in this thread regarding the Hymns and arias version
    That one is, perhaps, the main anti Swansea song.