+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Meat Burgers

Re: Beyond Meat Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Don't disagree with that.

Unnecessary sarcasm. Its just my take on it. You might disagree.
    You seem to assume that the only people who eat these are vegans. I am a meat eater. But I also eat beyond burgers and loads of other meat replacements. I also eat pasta replacements. I do this in part for health reasons, but also because I prefer the taste.

In continuation of my previous thread on meat replacements:I've been having them all week. Quorn cocktail sausages were decent but salty; wicked chorizo bangers tasted good but we a bit pasty. Tesco "ham" replacement tho was a disgrace.

Also been trying the burger king vegan menu. It's not bad- although I suspect the vegan chicken burger they gave me was just a standard chicken burger. If not: amazingly realistic

We need to get away from meat anyway, all these fecking cows in thier millions farting into the atmos isn't helping is it?
    i can see a fart tax in the future.You read it here first.

Beyond burger is not a burger, its a vegetable patty. See how many they would sell if they called it that. Amazing how vegetarians and vegans spend half their time trying to recreate food that looks and tastes like meat. Whats that all about. Meat eaters should prepare food, that looks and tastes vegan/vegetarian, out of meat - that would soon become popular and avoid the need for vegans to look down their noses when they see people eating meat.
    I won't be preaching, although I know plenty of them do.

Just decided to cut down on meat and I know I won't do it just eating veg.. And I like dairy as well so there's that. I've tasted them, they could call them horse shit shaped like a burger and I'd eat them again, because they're actually very tasty.

Do you know what a chicken sandwich is? No, it's not braces extra thick with your mother's roast chicken in the middle, it's a chicken burger in a burger bun. But they call it a chicken sandwich, yet a beef burger in a burger bun is called a burger, point is, beyond meat burgers are burgers..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    We use the richmond ones for our hot dogs . They are quality as well.
    Will be throwing them in to try as soon as I can pull myself out of the bath.. A other reason to cut out neat and processed shit.. Energy levels!!

Quote Originally Posted by hueypianosmith View Post
    The vast majority of vegetarians and vegans didn't stop eating meat because they didn't like the taste of it. No, it's much deeper than that.

Most people who go vegetarian or vegan do so for the animals, for their own health, or for the environment (or a combination of these). Rarely will you find someone who went vegetarian or vegan because they didn't like the taste of meat.
    Health for me

Game changer opened my eyes, good watch that for anyone interested.

Unnecessary sarcasm. Its just my take on it. You might disagree.
    Unnecessary sarcasm.. Says the guy kicking off unnecessarily on a post he didn't have to open or comment on

The human being is an omnivorous animal, developed as "hunter-gatherers"
    A veggie once srgued that our closest relation, the chimpanzee, is vegetarian, This is bollocks.
    I refer you to Attenborough's Life on Earth series (or maybe The trials of Life, long time since watching)
    Where a troupe of chimps chased and ambushed colobus monkeys, tearing them apart and eating them on the spot.
    Going back to the "developed" bit, another veggie told me that early homonids' btains wouldn't have had enough protein to develop into that of homo sapiens if they had remained vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Health for me

Game changer opened my eyes, good watch that for anyone interested.
    Same here on both counts, Health and Game Changers for me, currently moving towards a plant based diet. There are some amazing books out there in this field

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    A veggie once srgued that our closest relation, the chimpanzee, is vegetarian, This is bollocks.
    I refer you to Attenborough's Life on Earth series (or maybe The trials of Life, long time since watching)
    Where a troupe of chimps chased and ambushed colobus monkeys, tearing them apart and eating them on the spot.
    Going back to the "developed" bit, another veggie told me that early homonids' btains wouldn't have had enough protein to develop into that of homo sapiens if they had remained vegetarian.
    Where do animals that provide us meat get their protein from?

Same here on both counts, Health and Game Changers for me, currently moving towards a plant based diet. There are some amazing books out there in this field
    Apologies, I should have said game changer was a documentary I watched

The vast majority of vegetarians and vegans didn't stop eating meat because they didn't like the taste of it. No, it's much deeper than that.

Most people who go vegetarian or vegan do so for the animals, for their own health, or for the environment (or a combination of these). Rarely will you find someone who went vegetarian or vegan because they didn't like the taste of meat.
    That is exactly my situation. I'd hate to think of my dogs suffering in the way cattle do. Heart-breaking.

Where do animals that provide us meat get their protein from?
    There's this thing called "the food chain".

We all get energy from the sun.
    Plants convert solar energy by photo synthesis.

plant eaters piggyback this process.
    Meat-eaters piggybackack the plant-eaters method and so on.
    The plant eaters are easy prey because thy haven't eaten enough protein for their brains to develop enough to evade the predators..

QED

The plant eaters are easy prey because thy haven't eaten enough protein for their brains to develop enough to evade the predators..

QED
    Yes, animals we eat get their protein from plants. Good answer.

Yes, animals we eat get their protein from plants. Good answer.
    Methinks someone is being facetious.
    The point is that every stage in the food chain is less efficient than the next.
    A single plant provides very little energy.
    Plant-eaters need to eat a LOT of plants, and much of the plant cannot be broken down easily - hence cows having multiple stomachs and farting a lot, rabbits creating rabbit pellets, etc,
    Eating meat is MUCH more efficient.

Beyond burger is not a burger, its a vegetable patty. See how many they would sell if they called it that. Amazing how vegetarians and vegans spend half their time trying to recreate food that looks and tastes like meat. Whats that all about. Meat eaters should prepare food, that looks and tastes vegan/vegetarian, out of meat - that would soon become popular and avoid the need for vegans to look down their noses when they see people eating meat.
    Why are you under the impression it's only vegans/veggies who eat meat replacements? Red meat doesn't agree with me so I eat Quorn mince and the occasional Quorn burger (or should I say 'patty' to avoid giving you an aneurysm). I still eat chicken and fish though.

I see far more meat eaters get their pants twisted over vegans than I do preachy vegans, just live to accept people have their choices grandad

Methinks someone is being facetious.
    The point is that every stage in the food chain is less efficient than the next.
    A single plant provides very little energy.
    Plant-eaters need to eat a LOT of plants, and much of the plant cannot be broken down easily - hence cows having multiple stomachs and farting a lot, rabbits creating rabbit pellets, etc,
    Eating meat is MUCH more efficient.
    Where does the meat get its protein?

Ive been Veggie since '93, back then Veggie options were shocking, they really were, asking in a restaurant for anything Veggie was sometimes sneered at, of course its changed beyond my wildest dreams

Not sure Ive ever preached in all them years, Ive had plenty of discussions about it, " are you a hippy ", " You dont look pasty enough to be a Veggie ", " our teeth are designed to rip apart meat " , " it'll mean you have bandy legs " , " your bones will go soft " , ive heard it all, some of it is laughable

as for the Burger / patty argument, its just a shape, in the USA, the word is pretty interchangeable, spongebob square pants calls em patties

QED
    That is incredible .

QED ?

Why because you believe its true ?

I'm all for finding something to be passionate about but jeez, if people want to eat something that looks like a burger, tastes like a burger, has the name "burger" but doesn't contain meat, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    That is incredible .

QED ?

Why because you believe its true ?
    image.jpg

Who are you talking to? The op was just saying that something he ate tasted good. Nobody is talking about whether a vegan diet is natural. He didn't even suggest he was on a vegan diet. He just said he liked his burger.

It is entirely possible to enjoy food from all sections of the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm happy to accept that vegetarian sausages / burgers are nice. find it a lot more difficult to grapple with the concept that Richmond make any kind of decent sausage, let alone a vegetarian one.

Mind you, some of their "meat" sausages contain only 42% actual meat (the bare minimum you have to to still call it a pork sausage), so perhaps they've got a bit of a head start on other sausage manufacturers in fonding other stuff to cram in there.

I agree- never liked Richmond sausages. And to be honest their vegan ones taste just like their pork ones so while it is an impressive copy, I probably won't go back for them. I've got some vegan cumberlands to try next.

I am getting really keen on some of these replacements. I've had the vegan kebab meat a few times now although as it is loaded with crappy soy protein and cheap oils, I doubt its any healthier than the standard doner kebab!

I had a real burger at JG Melon on the Upper East Side this morning. Sublime. Anyone who visits NYC should go there.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I had a real burger at JG Melon on the Upper East Side this morning. Sublime. Anyone who visits NYC should go there.
    What meal was this?! With the exception of the very occasional steak and eggs (and maybe some bresaola) I've never had beef for breakfast.