+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Meat Burgers

Re: Beyond Meat Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I'm enough to remember when crisps had no added flavour at all, and had the bit of blue greasy paper wrapped around a pinch of salt. This was many years before "Salt and Shake" which were brought in to appeal to us oldies who bemoaned the passing of the blue twist.
    They were brought in to appeal to kids for their packed lunch.. Some kids in my primary school refused to eat any other flavour "because salt and shake are cool"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Really? Well I’ve learnt something today
    Oldies think everything is about them?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Oldies think everything is about them?
    No, I genuinely didn't know that and it's nice to learn something. I remember Salt n Shake as a kid (not sure if they still exist) and didn't know that's why they came about

No, I genuinely didn't know that and it's nice to learn something. I remember Salt n Shake as a kid (not sure if they still exist) and didn't know that's why they came about
    I didn't know that either, but my point was s+s weren't just brought back for the oldies..

Seen a few critical posts mentioning that humans are meant to be omnivores etc. Personally that's the reason that I am trying to limit my meat intake. Will probably never be a veggie, but I am well aware that the crazy amounts of meat I was eating are no good for myself or the planet.
    I'd imagine that our ancestors ate vastly less amounts of meat than most of us do now. The huge amounts of meat and dairy consumed by many certainly aren't our 'natural diet' as humans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Seen a few critical posts mentioning that humans are meant to be omnivores etc. Personally that's the reason that I am trying to limit my meat intake. Will probably never be a veggie, but I am well aware that the crazy amounts of meat I was eating are no good for myself or the planet.
    I'd imagine that our ancestors ate vastly less amounts of meat than most of us do now. The huge amounts of meat and dairy consumed by many certainly aren't our 'natural diet' as humans
    I'm a sort of hybrid.

I'm definitely going to cut right down on my dairy intake though, and limiting bread, pasta, rice etc which is obviously OK in moderation, but definitely not great for you.

Find a balance that suits, I've seen and read quite a bit and I take something from each of it that suits myself and I'll morph it all onto a little diet that benifits myself and my health.

Information is out there now

The f****g nerve of this after some of the stuff you said about my Peugot 206
    I loved that car Delme .

I used to call it my holiday car ( every time in came in the workshops it paid for my holiday )

That thing you have now is a waste of space.......

Had a couple of Beyond Meat burgers on the weekend and the best compliment I can pay them is to say that I wouldn't mind betting that there have been a few with an "over my dead body" attitude to eating vegan meat substitutes who have actually eaten them without realising it. Very nice they were and I'll definitely be having some more, but the down side was that, after being pleasantly surprised by how affordable vegan foodstuffs are in the supermarkets, these matched my presuppositions of how much they'd cost by being a fiver for a pack of two burgers that were a bit bigger than quarter pounders, but nowhere near the size of half pounders.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Had a couple of Beyond Meat burgers on the weekend and the best compliment I can pay them is to say that I wouldn't mind betting that there have been a few with an "over my dead body" attitude to eating vegan meat substitutes who have actually eaten them without realising it. Very nice they were and I'll definitely be having some more, but the down side was that, after being pleasantly surprised by how affordable vegan foodstuffs are in the supermarkets, these matched my presuppositions of how much they'd cost by being a fiver for a pack of two burgers that were a bit bigger than quarter pounders, but nowhere near the size of half pounders.
    Beyond products are silly expensive, no one can argue with that, they were made in the US, though when they started selling them in Starbucks ( china ) Beyond opened a Chinese plant to cut carbon footprint

The ones I have had in the UK were all made in the US

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Beyond products are silly expensive, no one can argue with that, they were made in the US, though when they started selling them in Starbucks ( china ) Beyond opened a Chinese plant to cut carbon footprint

The ones I have had in the UK were all made in the US
    Would make sense for them to produce it here.

I've tried wicked kitchen ready meals as something quick in work and they were nice as well, the 2 I've tried so far chilli and Korean style.

Didn't find Richmond sausages as nice as the cauldron ones, wouldn't say they taste the same as the 'meat' ones they do but they are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Would make sense for them to produce it here.

I've tried wicked kitchen ready meals as something quick in work and they were nice as well, the 2 I've tried so far chilli and Korean style.

Didn't find Richmond sausages as nice as the cauldron ones, wouldn't say they taste the same as the 'meat' ones they do but they are OK.
    we fluctuate between Richmond and cauldron , Richmond and great as breakfast sausages, while cauldron are good on BBQ's

There are two downsides for me: bloody expensive; and far too much crap in them (rapeseed oil in particular). On the plus side it's not soy protein, and they do taste excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    There are two downsides for me: bloody expensive; and far too much crap in them (rapeseed oil in particular). On the plus side it's not soy protein, and they do taste excellent.
    What's wrong with rapeseed oil?

Tried Richmond vegetarian (don't think they're vegan are they?) sausages for the first time on the weekend and actually preferred them to "normal" sausages because they weren't so fatty - I'll definitely be having them again.

Birdseye veggie (vegan?) Meatballs are a new family favourite. Cheap, tasty and not soy protein. Kids love them. Sainsbury's are flogging off loads of frozen vegan stuff for £1 at the moment.

Tried Richmond vegetarian (don't think they're vegan are they?) sausages for the first time on the weekend and actually preferred them to "normal" sausages because they weren't so fatty - I'll definitely be having them again.
    They’re the best veggie sausages for me, weird since they’re the worst meat sausages.

I’ve been buying beyond burgers in my weekly shop recently, as long as you put good toppings on it you wouldn’t tell the difference next to a half decent burger.

Not on the same level as the best beer burgers I’ve had but a good replacement for at home.

by far the most surprising thing on this thread is that Richmond make anything that is remotely edible, as their meat sausages are rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    by far the most surprising thing on this thread is that Richmond make anything that is remotely edible, as their meat sausages are rank.
    The vegetarian/vegan producers of sausages and burgers have the easiest 'meat' products to compete with and for obvious reasons.

Yep agreed worst sausages you can buy. I suppose there wasn’t a lot of meat to replace in them

Unrelated but I was speaking to someone from beyond meat last week and their advice is fry the burgers in a dry pan. I tried this week and it is much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The vegetarian/vegan producers of sausages and burgers have the easiest 'meat' products to compete with and for obvious reasons.
    Richmond pork sausages have only 42% pork in them anyway, which is the bare minimum they are legally allowed to put in and still call it a pork sausage. it makes you wonder how much they would put in if there were no limit.
    even if they taste good I would not be buying their meat free sausages, they've already shown as a company they are prepared to put any old shite into their meat sausages

Richmond pork sausages have only 42% pork in them anyway, which is the bare minimum they are legally allowed to put in and still call it a pork sausage. it makes you wonder how much they would put in if there were no limit.
    even if they taste good I would not be buying their meat free sausages, they've already shown as a company they are prepared to put any old shite into their meat sausages
    Is the 42% pork concerned 'mechanically recovered meat'?

Wikipedia defines such a term as:

Mechanically separated meat (MSM), mechanically recovered/reclaimed meat (MRM), or mechanically deboned meat (MDM) is a paste-like meat product produced by forcing pureed or ground beef, pork, mutton, turkey or chicken, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue. It is sometimes called white slime as an analog to meat-additive pink slime and to meat extracted by advanced meat recovery systems, both of which are different processes. The process entails pureeing or grinding the carcass left after the manual removal of meat from the bones and then forcing the slurry through a sieve under pressure. This puree includes bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and the scraps of meat remaining on the bones. The resulting product is a blend primarily consisting of tissues not generally considered meat along with a much smaller amount of actual meat (muscle tissue). In some countries such as the United States, these non-meat materials are processed separately for human and non-human uses and consumption.[1] The process is controversial; Forbes, for example, called it a "not-so-appetizing meat production process".[2]

Is the 42% pork concerned 'mechanically recovered meat'?

Wikipedia defines such a term as:

Mechanically separated meat (MSM), mechanically recovered/reclaimed meat (MRM), or mechanically deboned meat (MDM) is a paste-like meat product produced by forcing pureed or ground beef, pork, mutton, turkey or chicken, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue. It is sometimes called white slime as an analog to meat-additive pink slime and to meat extracted by advanced meat recovery systems, both of which are different processes. The process entails pureeing or grinding the carcass left after the manual removal of meat from the bones and then forcing the slurry through a sieve under pressure. This puree includes bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and the scraps of meat remaining on the bones. The resulting product is a blend primarily consisting of tissues not generally considered meat along with a much smaller amount of actual meat (muscle tissue). In some countries such as the United States, these non-meat materials are processed separately for human and non-human uses and consumption.[1] The process is controversial; Forbes, for example, called it a "not-so-appetizing meat production process".[2]
    usually not these days.

the EU forced suppliers to clearly label mechanically removed meat , so a lot of manufacturers moved away from it as consumers don't find it appealing apparently.

however under the definition of "meat" that has to form 42% of a pork sausage, up to 30% can be fat and 25% can be gristle and connecting tissues. so perhaps as little as 45% of that 42% is what people would actually recognise as meat.

usually not these days.

the EU forced suppliers to clearly label mechanically removed meat , so a lot of manufacturers moved away from it as consumers don't find it appealing apparently.

however under the definition of "meat" that has to form 42% of a pork sausage, up to 30% can be fat and 25% can be gristle and connecting tissues. so perhaps as little as 45% of that 42% is what people would actually recognise as meat.
    Don't know about anyone else, but I have quite the appetite now.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Don't know about anyone else, but I have quite the appetite now.
    You can't beat a bit of pulped scrotum and pulverised nostril.

You can't beat a bit of pulped scrotum and pulverised nostril.
    Somebody buys Walls. Alright Rockefeller, no need to boast!