+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Beyond Meat Burgers

Re: Beyond Meat Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Somebody buys Walls. Alright Rockefeller, no need to boast!
    Walls have ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You can't beat a bit of pulped scrotum and pulverised nostril.
    A very long time ago, I went on a tour of a client's plant for producing supermarket beef, to show the tax authority just how clever it all was. As you can imagine, they are pretty gruesome places. Not the abbotoir, but the "cow disassembly" bit. Where the carcases get frozen, stretched, chopped up, washed down etc. After the tour, I asked the tax inspectors where they'd like to go for lunch - and only at this point did one of them delcare herself a vegan (on animal welfare grounds) so would appreciate it if we could find somewhere that had a veggie menu. God only knows why they decided to send a vegan on that tour, she must have been traumatised.

As regards meat content of sausages etc: there seems to be a pretty direct corelation between cost and meat content. And as someone on a Keto diet, I have really noticed it: as the meat content reduces so the carb content increases. If you look at nutrition info for 2 basic pork sausages in my local supermarket:

PREMIUM
    Sainsburys Taste The Difference (normally what-£2.50 for 6?): 97% meat content. 1.2g of carbs per 2.
    Heck - about the same price: 97% meat, 1.4g carbs
    Sainsburys Organic, £3 for 6: 85% meat, 0.9g carbs

STANDARD
    Sainsburys "butchers choice", £1.50 for 8: meat 72%; carbs 12.2g
    Walls thick pork sausages, £2.25 for 8: meat 70%; carbs 5.4g

BUDGET (although Richmond are more expensive than butchers choice)
    Richmond, £2 for 8: 42% meat (!), 12.8g carbs
    J James frozen, £1.40 for "approximately" 20: 42% meat, 10g carbs

You do get a few pretenders. Musks, for example, are £3 for 6 but you get 75% meat.

Personally: from a taste perspective I am no snob and I like any old sausage to be honest. I draw the line at tinned hot dogs, but I'd happily eat any of the above if nutrition info was ignored. Don't get me wrong - I'd rather eat the TTD to the Richmonds, but it's not like I couldn't face the taste of a greasy low quality sausage. However from a dietary perspective, it is really only the TTD and the Organic ones I'd have now. But no matter how you look at it.... Richmond sausages are the worst really. I'd genuinely go for the budget frozen ones instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yep agreed worst sausages you can buy. I suppose there wasn’t a lot of meat to replace in them

Unrelated but I was speaking to someone from beyond meat last week and their advice is fry the burgers in a dry pan. I tried this week and it is much nicer.
    in the US that cook them on a Griddle pan so you get the lines in them

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Unrelated but I was speaking to someone from beyond meat last week and their advice is fry the burgers in a dry pan. I tried this week and it is much nicer.
    The amount of fat that comes out of a beyond burger is quite surprising. It's vegan and it tastes great, but I really don't think they are very healthy. The fat and the protein are low quality.

I still eat plenty of them, although the meatless farm ones are now the ones I go for mostly now.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The amount of fat that comes out of a beyond burger is quite surprising. It's vegan and it tastes great, but I really don't think they are very healthy. The fat and the protein are low quality.

I still eat plenty of them, although the meatless farm ones are now the ones I go for mostly now.
    Yeah I wouldn’t have them as a healthy meal but as a treat without eating red meat at home really.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    in the US that cook them on a Griddle pan so you get the lines in them
    I bet that’s great too!

I’ve also heard they’re expanding a lot more into the U.K. market and hope to bring costs down. £5 for 2 seems expensive compared to other veggie options.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    by far the most surprising thing on this thread is that Richmond make anything that is remotely edible, as their meat sausages are rank.
    Never tasted Richmonds meat sausages and, to quote the American guy in Fawlty Towers, don't think I ever will. I fell out of love with meat sausages some time ago, but my limited experience of non meat ones has been entirely positive so far, not so keen on the non meat burgers I've had so far apart from the Beyond Meat ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

Surprised me too. The Time I had them, I dry pan fried them as well and turned my back as I was in the middle of flipping them, I had to push the dog away from the cooking area which I stupidly did half on the turn and on one leg to scoot her away...managed to spit fat all down my stomach and sides!!!!

I haven’t gone back on this thread, but has nobody made Glamorgan sausages ffs! Homemade fresh they are brilliant. Hairy Bikers recipe is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    I haven’t gone back on this thread, but has nobody made Glamorgan sausages ffs! Homemade fresh they are brilliant. Hairy Bikers recipe is very good.
    Although they are obviously a replacement for meat sausages, the whole point of me starting g the post was looking for similar products

I like cheese. I will get someone to cook these for me.one day I am sure...