+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surely Cardiff City would be an attractive club for a mega rich investor

Surely Cardiff City would be an attractive club for a mega rich investor

- Capital City of the country.
    - Modern, developed City, with a local airport.
    - 33k seater modern stadium with room to expand further.
    - 1 million (+) catchment area without another local club our size nearby.

With a rich owner and top 6 Premier League football (Leicester City level), we have huge potential. Could become Wales' answer to Celtic and Rangers.

With all this talk of rich arabs buying a Newcastle, why not go for us?

Re: Surely Cardiff City would be an attractive club for a mega rich investor

1. I thought we had a rich owner
    2. I dont want to be Wales's equivalent to Celtic or Rangers

For me it has always been a puzzle but no they rather Wolves or Leicester ,especially after Euro 2016 where you could see that football in Wales is a big thing to the fans .

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post

With a rich owner and top 6 Premier League football (Leicester City level), we have huge potential. Could become Wales' answer to Celtic and Rangers.

You had me convinced and on board there until you said we could be Wales answer to Celtic and Rangers. No thanks, that would mean we would have to play in a mickey mouse competition and join the Welsh League !

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You had me convinced and on board there until you said we could be Wales answer to Celtic and Rangers. No thanks, that would mean we would have to play in a mickey mouse competition and join the Welsh League !
    I mention Celtic and Rangers as they are massive clubs from a small country (5.5M).

I've raised this myself in the past. You'd think it would be a no-brainer. Either Tan does not want to sell, or he does - but is asking too much. Wants his money back, maybe?

Celtic and rangers are different animals altogether. Steeped in history, both political and social. In my opinion both those clubs are bigger than the majority of premier league clubs.

Being a capital city is pretty meaningless in the great scheme of things. Cardiff is not a state capital and has far less gravitas than regional capitals such as Munich and Milan.

We have a mega rich owner.

But there haven't been too many times when ploughing a load more money into us would have been sensible. More often than not it would have been throwing good money after bad.
    When we went up, if we had spent an additional 30, 40, or even 50 million quid we would still probably have been amongst the favourites to go down. Fulham spend 100m and went back down.
    If we had spent an extra 20m this summer, we'd have a better chance of going up, but we certainly wouldn't be a dead cert
    We haven't represented good value as an investment so I'm not surprised Tan hasn't got the chequebook out more often.
    He's not a football man himself so is relying on the input from others, and given what's happened with most of those I'm not surprised he hasn't splashed more cash.
    If we found ourselves at the top of the table come january then I think funds would be available. If we have an outside chance of the playoffs then probably not.

By mega rich I presume you are looking for somebody who will cough up Ł60m* to buy the shares, Ł140m* to repay Tan and others loans to the club and then spend about a Ł100m out of his pocket rather than saddle the club with loaning money, to have a great knowledge of football, a fantastic empathy for CCFC and its fans and to attend most if not all matches.

Not put up ticket prices, not result in the stadium having a name that you do not like, not do anything that fans wouldn't like and if we failed to achieve promotion then you would expect him to spend again or to move on.

Yes, we can all dream and I understand that!

* I'll leave it others who really know to correct my figures.

We are a small provincial city, with little profile outside of the UK.
    We lack many of the attractions of bigger cities.

there are more than 150 stadiums in Europe that are bigger than ours.

the catchment area is debateable, it also has a low spending power compared to a lot of the rest of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We are a small provincial city, with little profile outside of the UK.
    We lack many of the attractions of bigger cities.

there are more than 150 stadiums in Europe that are bigger than ours.

the catchment area is debateable, it also has a low spending power compared to a lot of the rest of the UK.
    Yes, but apart from that............

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yes, but apart from that............
    What have the Malaysians/work experience boy ever done for us?

If I was a mega rich investor I'd potentially be looking at a French club, as PSG getting all the best players could mean better TV deals for their league - more income. And they were particularly badly hit by covid as they were the only league not to resume in 2020, so there may be clubs out there that are seeking investment.

In England you'd think that Derby might be available for a small fee fairly soon. Sheffield Wednesday have plenty of potential as well.

Because Newcastle United is an established Premier League club and Cardiff City is not?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    For me it has always been a PUZZLE but no they rather Wolves or Leicester ,especially after Euro 2016 where you could see that football in Wales is a big thing to the fans .

Is it ‘cause we’re Welsh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Celtic and rangers are different animals altogether. Steeped in history, both political and social. In my opinion both those clubs are bigger than the majority of premier league clubs.
    They're big fish in a small pond. Who cares about them outside Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    They're big fish in a small pond. Who cares about them outside Scotland?
    yep I doubt a rich sheikh will he buying either of those two. yes they're practically guaranteed a champions League qualifier, and Celtic raise a lot of money from merch, but there is just not much TV money in the Scottish game. considerably less than the championship.

I agree that Cardiff City should (in theory) be an attractive club to purchase, with less big clubs in the area to rival us and the Welsh angle could be played out to good effect in the overseas markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We have a mega rich owner.

He's not a football man himself so is relying on the input from others.
    Are any of the super rich football club owners football men?

[QUOTE=BLUETIT;5214322]Is it ‘cause we’re Welsh ?[/QUOTE

But, but, the lovely ladies wear daffodils on thier heads whilst the man drink Carling and do the sheep thingy , must be some profitable opportunity's there ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    1. I thought we had a rich owner
    2. I dont want to be Wales's equivalent to Celtic or Rangers
    Not sure about the last time, but for our first outing in the sunshine league Tan was the 11th wealthiest owner in the PL.
    He hangs our with lots of wealthy folk no doubt, in China and around the world, I’m sure he knows some who want to pick up a club whose value will rocket upon a promotion…..at least you’d think he would?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I agree that Cardiff City should (in theory) be an attractive club to purchase, with less big clubs in the area to rival us and the Welsh angle could be played out to good effect in the overseas markets.
    Rivalry is a massive reason that people watch football, so I doubt that the lack of other big clubs near Cardiff is attractive for a potential owner.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He hangs our with lots of wealthy folk no doubt
    And not one of them has mentioned the trousers situation

Back where you came form Sam, and take your free ice cream with you.