+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surely Cardiff City would be an attractive club for a mega rich investor

Re: Surely Cardiff City would be an attractive club for a mega rich investor

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Rivalry is a massive reason that people watch football, so I doubt that the lack of other big clubs near Cardiff is attractive for a potential owner.
    Aye, league 1 Sunderland were a massive pull in the Newcastle bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    - Capital City of the country.
    - Modern, developed City, with a local airport.
    - 33k seater modern stadium with room to expand further.
    - 1 million (+) catchment area without another local club our size nearby.

With a rich owner and top 6 Premier League football (Leicester City level), we have huge potential. Could become Wales' answer to Celtic and Rangers.

With all this talk of rich arabs buying a Newcastle, why not go for us?
    Have you SEEN Cardiff Airport?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Have you SEEN Cardiff Airport?
    No, they've hidden it behind Barry.

They're big fish in a small pond. Who cares about them outside Scotland?
    Celtic have the majority of Ireland supporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Celtic have the majority of Ireland supporting them.
    man utd and Liverpool have a lot more fans in Ireland than Celtic do

On a positive note, I believe we are a far more attractive club to invest in than we were say 20 odd years ago.

We've been to 2 major cup finals in that time, had two seasons in the Premier League, until Covid we regularly pulled in over 20,000 for each home game, our hooligan fan reputation seems to be a thing of the past and we have a capacious modern stadium.

Historically, we don't compare well with a whole host of clubs that have spent far more time in the top tier than we have but certainly in recent times that is not the case. But I don't expect any wealthy investors willing to take a gamble on us in the current financial climate.

Rivalry is a massive reason that people watch football, so I doubt that the lack of other big clubs near Cardiff is attractive for a potential owner.
    Owners don’t care about rivalries, they care about the potential to hopefully make money. That’s why Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have bought Wrexham.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Not the point

I don't know if that's correct or not, I'll take your word for it though. What I do know is that there are over 50 official Celtic supporters clubs in Ireland and a fair few that aren't official.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Back where you came form Sam, and take your free ice cream with you.
    Go and buy a crap spanish pub side and take your little ice cream fan club with you

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Go and buy a crap spanish pub side and take your little ice cream fan club with you

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Aye, league 1 Sunderland were a massive pull in the Newcastle bid.
    Doesn't that prove my point? No other big clubs in the area and Ashley has been trying to sell Newcastle for years without success.

Doesn't that prove my point? No other big clubs in the area and Ashley has been trying to sell Newcastle for years without success.
    I'll let you know in the morning when I've re read the thread. Usually up by 4.30 so my eyes are failing me as I type

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Owners don’t care about rivalries, they care about the potential to hopefully make money. That’s why Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have bought Wrexham.
    Most clubs make money from people watching their team play. You don't think that rivalry attracts football supporters?

Most clubs make money from people watching their team play. You don't think that rivalry attracts football supporters?
    I thought it came mostly from TV money. Owners are looking to get their clubs into the big leagues to make money from TV and maybe sell on to the next interested party, aren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Being a capital city is pretty meaningless in the great scheme of things. Cardiff is not a state capital and has far less gravitas than regional capitals such as Munich and Milan.
    Munich would cost 3 billion, Milan clubs, 400-500 M? Cardiff City, 30M?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't know if that's correct or not, I'll take your word for it though. What I do know is that there are over 50 official Celtic supporters clubs in Ireland and a fair few that aren't official.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...fans-1.4185728

Fair enough

Supporting Celtic is a different game though. I've been to Celtic clubs and bars all over. They are proper fans. Who live and breathe the club. Not armchair wankers. If Celtic, Liverpool and Man Utd played a mini tournament in Ireland and only Irish could attend, I guarantee there would be twice as many Celtic fans as the other two.

We have Premier League potential. I would think that counts for a lot. Who really cares about French, German or even Italian football outside of those countries? La Liga on the other hand is a big deal in Central and South America. Still mainly Barca and Real Madrid though.

What about mega-rich Welshman - are there any around?

Isn't a guy who went to Cardiff HS one of the original Google creators and therefore a multi-billionaire?

Are there any others in that category, we've tried David Sullivan but he's finally made West Ham a decent club.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We have Premier League potential. I would think that counts for a lot. Who really cares about French, German or even Italian football outside of those countries? La Liga on the other hand is a big deal in Central and South America. Still mainly Barca and Real Madrid though.
    So Cardiff City is more appealing than Inter Milan and Bayern Munich?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    What about mega-rich Welshman - are there any around?

Isn't a guy who went to Cardiff HS one of the original Google creators and therefore a multi-billionaire?

Are there any others in that category, we've tried David Sullivan but he's finally made West Ham a decent club.
    Michael Moritz.....Howardian, I believe, he is worth a few bob. Pity he doesn’t seem to care about football. Saying that I don’t particularly care that he has no interest in football, just lob in half a billion mate

We would never capture the internal/English market. Wolves theoretically could.

The money in Wales compared to English regions is lower (hence why I’d never support independence)

We’re too burdened with debt compared to other clubs.

That’s my justification

We have a mega rich owner.

But there haven't been too many times when ploughing a load more money into us would have been sensible. More often than not it would have been throwing good money after bad.
    When we went up, if we had spent an additional 30, 40, or even 50 million quid we would still probably have been amongst the favourites to go down. Fulham spend 100m and went back down.
    If we had spent an extra 20m this summer, we'd have a better chance of going up, but we certainly wouldn't be a dead cert
    We haven't represented good value as an investment so I'm not surprised Tan hasn't got the chequebook out more often.
    He's not a football man himself so is relying on the input from others, and given what's happened with most of those I'm not surprised he hasn't splashed more cash.
    If we found ourselves at the top of the table come january then I think funds would be available. If we have an outside chance of the playoffs then probably not.
    We have a rich owner but he’s not a fan.

He’s just trying to make money that’s what the fan base don’t understand when the argument is ‘why don’t you just splash the cash’