+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciaron Brown appears to be our only player of current interest to other clubs

Ciaron Brown appears to be our only player of current interest to other clubs

Apparently more than one club is interested.

Are we missing something?

Should we hold onto him?

Re: Ciaron Brown appears to be our only player of current interest to other clubs

Hes probably the only one interesting clubs as hes affordable. Cheap wages , low transfer fee and not in the team.

Re: Ciaron Brown appears to be our only player of current interest to other clubs

He looks like he belongs in “Game of Thrones”

still only 23 and has championship and SPL experience, seems fairly mobile and isnt terrible on the ball.
    Left footed centre-backs are VERY sought after at the moment.
    Many clubs are playing out from the back more and more, and lots are utilising a back 3 as well.
    Having a left footer and a right footer in there makes it a lot easier to play out, as the natural curvature of a pass from a left footer out to the left, or from a right footer out to the right makes it that little bit harder to press.
    there was an article in the athletic about it last year sometime - it saves half a second or something that can be the difference between playing through the press or losing the ball.

It's probably why England took Mings to the euros, and why Man City spent a load of cash on Ake, despite both having plenty of better defenders they could have gone for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    still only 23 and has championship and SPL experience, seems fairly mobile and isnt terrible on the ball.
    Many clubs are playing out from the back more and more, and lots are utilising a back 3 as well.
    Having a left footer and a right footer in there makes it a lot easier to play out, as the natural curvature of a pass from a left footer out to the left, or from a right footer out to the right makes it that little bit harder to press.
    there was an article in the athletic about it last year sometime - it saves half a second or something that can be the difference between playing through the press or losing the ball.

It's probably why England took Mings to the euros, and why Man City spent a load of cash on Ake, despite both having plenty of better defenders they could have gone for.
    That might explain why he could leave - “Playing it out from the back” is not currently part of our DNA!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    He looks like he belongs in “Game of Thrones”
    90s TV Hypnotist

Young'ish, left-footer, mobile enough, cheap and semi-available, has had good games in the Championship and has been educated at a club who in theory can teach defending...

If he can become an average or better passer then he's a very attractive option.

However, if he can't develop his passing then he doesn't seem to be much of a goal-threat either so interest will wane.

He’s a journeyman at the moment. Maybe he can improve.
    We can afford to let him go but I agree that we can’t repeat the Callum Paterson thing and just give away a competent squad player who’d cost us money to replace.

Hes 23 who has played for 2 professional clubs. Hes hardly a journeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    He’s a journeyman at the moment. Maybe he can improve.
    We can afford to let him go but I agree that we can’t repeat the Callum Paterson thing and just give away a competent squad player who’d cost us money to replace.
    are you sure you know what a journeyman means?

Ciaron Brown isn't terrible on the ball?! He's a bigger hoofer than Curtis Nelson.

Actually we’ve had this discussion about “journeyman “ before.
    My use of the word suggests a very average player who’s competent but not anything special.
    I’d forgotten that many here use it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Ciaron Brown isn't terrible on the ball?! He's a bigger hoofer than Curtis Nelson.
    I was going to say, ability on the ball certainly isn't a strength.

If it frees up some cash in wages etc to bring someone with a bit of guile in, the I say sell him.

It's an area we are pretty well stocked in... Morrison, Flint, McGuiness, Nelson and Pack can provide cover - we have Denham coming through (he looked decent enough in pre-season).

Brown is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen with the ball. I presume you are joking when you suggest he could be part of a central defensive unit that passes from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Brown is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen with the ball. I presume you are joking when you suggest he could be part of a central defensive unit that passes from the back.
    Oh for sure when he's played in a back 3 he's been as big a hoofer as any of them. However when we've seen him at LWB he's shown a little more on ball abillity - granted not enough to stand out in that position, but enough to suggest that he could find a simple pass out of defence now and then instead of hooooof. It must be what they're being asked to do.

Oh for sure when he's played in a back 3 he's been as big a hoofer as any of them. However when we've seen him at LWB he's shown a little more on ball abillity - granted not enough to stand out in that position, but enough to suggest that he could find a simple pass out of defence now and then instead of hooooof. It must be what they're being asked to do.
    His 40 yard pass away to Swansea on the left hand side was sublime. All it needed was a blue shirt within 40 yards

If we can get a decent fee I suppose we can afford to let him go we do seem to have a few defenders on the books as to his ball carrying skills I honestly having seen enough evidence of that , of what I have seen of him he looks a bit raw .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If we can get a decent fee I suppose we can afford to let him go we do seem to have a few defenders on the books as to his ball carrying skills I honestly having seen enough evidence of that , of what I have seen of him he looks a bit raw .
    Definitely still raw, but still young.

Flint and Morrisson are out of contract in the summer though, so if the club think he can make it at this level it would seem to make sense to keep him as he must be on a fraction of those two.

Definitely still raw, but still young.

Flint and Morrisson are out of contract in the summer though, so if the club think he can make it at this level it would seem to make sense to keep him as he must be on a fraction of those two.
    The corollary statement to that is of course if they don't think he's ultimately going to make it at this level then we should get rid.

The last 23 year old centre back we released was Semi Ajayi who ended up being ok.

The corollary statement to that is of course if they don't think he's ultimately going to make it at this level then we should get rid.

The last 23 year old centre back we released was Semi Ajayi who ended up being ok.
    See he was on the bench last week for WBA , another player I watched a few times and never thought mmmm he is going to be good ???

He’s crap

But defenders take time to mature

And on Thursday it was reported that three other clubs - Ipswich Town, Barnsley and Blackburn Rovers - were also in the hunt for the defender's signature.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...warny-21301616
    If clubs as varied as Barnsley, Blackburn and Ipswich are looking at him then it's worth considering the player's qualities again and showing them a bit more love until we've decided if it's time for him to move on or not.

But it sounds as if our estimate for selling is less than £1.3 million so don't think we can call him the finished article either.

At the moment, it's another player walking away at the end of this season and would be one of the bigger loses for reasons Rjk has already set out.

He's in his last year, and his agent is probably drumming up business to try to get him an improved contract offer.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Apparently more than one club is interested.

Are we missing something?

Should we hold onto him?
    I’ve not seen any reason so far to hang on to him.

Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong if he stays 👍