+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan , what a waste

Re: Afghanistan , what a waste

During Obama’s two terms he authorised 563 drone strikes in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia
    Afghanistan saw 1337 weapons dropped often wiping out innocent civilians who were classed unfortunately as collateral damage 🤨

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    During Obama’s two terms he authorised 563 drone strikes in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia
    Afghanistan saw 1337 weapons dropped often wiping out innocent civilians who were classed unfortunately as collateral damage ��
    Under trump, the number of drone strikes increased significantly apparently

Published 17th Jan 2017 by Jessica Purkiss, Jack Serle
    The Bureau of investigative Journalism 👍

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

History repeats itself
    The First Anglo-Afghan War was fought from 1839 to 1842.
    The British successfully intervened in a dispute between emir Dost Mohammad and former emir Shah Shujah who they installed upon capturing Kabul in August 1839.
    The main British Indian force was almost completely annihilated during its 1842 retreat from Kabul (except some prisoners and a doctor)
    The British recognised two things first if they left Afghanistan alone it would allow the Russians access to northern India through the Khyber Pass and second they needed to avenge the destruction of their army so back they went.
    The Afghan army was defeated, Kabul was blown up and the British army withdrew from Afghanistan leaving Dost Mohammed to resume his rule.

The parallels are astonishing

I actually saw the film on this very subject- highly informative
    Carry on up the khyber 😂👍

Just googled and read a piece by Isabel Debre (AP NEWS)30th April ‘21
    “Counting the cost of America’s twenty year war in Afghanistan”

Full of facts
    Two I picked out;
    America has paid over 530 BILLION dollars just in INTEREST on the money it’s borrowed to fund the war
    America has also paid over 296 BILLION dollars in medical and other care for veterans

The USA only went in after 9/11 “looking for Bin Laden and other terrorists”?

He was found ten years later in Pakistan

Bottom line
    Complete waste of money ��
    Special forces could have done that anyway, taking out bin laden, incredible waste of life. Will they ever learn?

The USA signed a peace Agreement with The Taliban, which seemed a bit soft and gave the Americans a 'way out' after it was clear that they were not going to crack that sizeable Nut. It allows the Taliban control in certain areas, with conditions. There's no way on this Earth the Taliban were ever going to subscribe to any of those conditions, and the Americans knew this before anyone signed on the dotted line. A big fail by the west in my opinion.

Massive failure

That’s why I’m saying throwing any more money at Afghanistan whether military or aid is a complete waste.
    As Tuerto said we’re not going to crack this sizeable nut

Leave the warlords and tribes do what they’ve done for thousands of years- kill each other

Massive failure

That’s why I’m saying throwing any more money at Afghanistan whether military or aid is a complete waste.
    As Tuerto said we’re not going to crack this sizeable nut

Leave the warlords and tribes do what they’ve done for thousands of years- kill each other
    Sadly that is the answer , its cost the USA $975 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I didn't say started i said Didn't go to war? Any difference?
    Well, troops were in Afghanistan during Trump's time in office. So what is your criteria? Trump ordered airstrikes in Afghanistan, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. And he wanted to bomb Iran. Does that count as "going to war"?

During Jimmy Carter's time in office, not one American serviceman or woman was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well for the most part getting rid of Hitler was a good move

The way that Europe was carved up after the event wasn't so clever
    Good came of it. Still a waste, huge wast in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    The main British Indian force was almost completely annihilated during its 1842 retreat from Kabul (except some prisoners and a doctor)
    Not to mention the Harry 'Bloody Lance' Flashman the last man standing at the siege of Pipers Fort.

Exactly
    Afghanistan “the graveyard of Empires”

I've been wondering how secure Kabul is as a city. Seems like there's a real difference in mindset/outlook between the Kabul city folk and the country bumpkins.

Could we see a situation where Kabul becomes a kind of city state, and the rest of Afghanistan separates itself from them. Quite surprised there hasn't been a real push to at least secure the surrounding area.

No way of getting rid of the tailban. But would be nice to think there could be somewhere safe for the non fundamentalists out there

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I've been wondering how secure Kabul is as a city. Seems like there's a real difference in mindset/outlook between the Kabul city folk and the country bumpkins.

Could we see a situation where Kabul becomes a kind of city state, and the rest of Afghanistan separates itself from them. Quite surprised there hasn't been a real push to at least secure the surrounding area.

No way of getting rid of the tailban. But would be nice to think there could be somewhere safe for the non fundamentalists out there
    trouble with that idea will be motar round attacks / rocket attacks / IED / car bombs

its never going to be that secure

Where have all these now apparent Taliban fighters been hiding all these years anyway? Looks like the training given to Afghan army to defend themselves when the eventual pullout came along went well, are they just giving up without a fight?

It wasn’t a complete waste for the parasitic billionaires who own the banks, the military companies, the supply and infrastructure companies, big pharma, etc.

They will find another country that “needs freedom and democracy”, financially leverage the politicians to send in the troops, then rape the shit out of that country and impose approved financial institutions and leadership.

Perhaps they’ll go back into Syria and finish off there, then find a reason to attack Iran.

afgan president has fled the country as Taliban are in Kabul

Ive tried to stay off this thread, as i have known a few Squadies who have seen combat in the hell hole, I knew someone who was killed by a IED on patrol, I used to partly supply movies to Bastion through a group i was in ( this all started when i was working down in Tidworth for the MOD )

I am genuinely gutted for the boys and girls who have served ( been killed / life changing injuries ) but lets not forget the afgans, no more school for the girls, music will be gone, gays will be stoned to death, the Taliban will now get back to rapeing young girls in front of the family just for fun , for the last 10 years afgan life has been normal, they have had a taste of stuff we take for granted, its all disappearing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    afgan president has fled the country as Taliban are in Kabul

Ive tried to stay off this thread, as i have known a few Squadies who have seen combat in the hell hole, I knew someone who was killed by a IED on patrol, I used to partly supply movies to Bastion through a group i was in ( this all started when i was working down in Tidworth for the MOD )

I am genuinely gutted for the boys and girls who have served ( been killed / life changing injuries ) but lets not forget the afgans, no more school for the girls, music will be gone, gays will be stoned to death, the Taliban will now get back to rapeing young girls in front of the family just for fun , for the last 10 years afgan life has been normal, they have had a taste of stuff we take for granted, its all disappearing
    What a mess it is Matt. One of my neighbours is a marine whose just done 25 yrs out there and I can see the horror in his eyes when he talks about some stuff, and I only get the edited version I’m sure. God knows what Bush and Blair were thinking sending us in there, it’s never worked over 100’s of years so why now ….they can’t be westernised so just leave them to it I guess. 20 yrs of training up their army and they just fold completely.

Its a apocalyptic scene

The airports are flooded with people trying to get out and there is the cackling of machine guns, no idea if it is the police or taliban

Complete waste of 20 plus years , thousands of afghan and western lives , total nightmare

It at least give respite to Female’s and Gay People for a while.

Sad that it’s all going to be lost.

To me, it was a much more just and reasonable conflict than the 2nd Iraq War...which is absolutely no reference at all.

No one wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    It at least give respite to Female’s and Gay People for a while.

Sad that it’s all going to be lost.

To me, it was a much more just and reasonable conflict than the 2nd Iraq War...which is absolutely no reference at all.

No one wins.
    The Blair and Bush war was based on lies and had only one outcome , opening cans of worms

The Afghanistan invasion was based on the right idea but like other conflicts in that area it was doomed to failure . The taliban are a horrible bunch but they are fierce fighters who will never give in . They retreat , they lie low but they will never be defeated .

Horrific

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Blair and Bush war was based on lies and had only one outcome , opening cans of worms

The Afghanistan invasion was based on the right idea but like other conflicts in that area it was doomed to failure . The taliban are a horrible bunch but they are fierce fighters who will never give in . They retreat , they lie low but they will never be defeated .

Horrific
    100% agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Where have all these now apparent Taliban fighters been hiding all these years anyway? Looks like the training given to Afghan army to defend themselves when the eventual pullout came along went well, are they just giving up without a fight?
    Or are they friendly foe ??