+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice UK City/Town For a Weekend ?

Re: Nice UK City/Town For a Weekend ?

Edinburgh. Heroin and rain. Cheap and you never have to leave your room.

YORK

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't know what counts as 'nice' but our next two city breaks will be returns to Belfast and Glasgow. Both fascinating cities.

But for a weekend - especially from Cardiff - probably not great options. You would spend most of the time travelling.
    Often wondered what Belfast is like, I didn’t know they had big steel gates between the various areas they shut at night. Like to go there one day but I’m so anti religious I’ve never been keen

How about Llandaff- lovely city, nice pubs, riverside walks, a cathedral to explore if you’re a history buff. Recommend the Maltesters pub for B and B !!
    Failing that try York. Beautiful city, lots going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Some really good suggestions on here,thanks, I am 'fortunate' to have worked and visited most of the big name cities, but keen to explore the Jurasic coast and the Cotswolds. We like a nice 'reserved' (non rowdy) night scene, good eateries and nice places to look around during the day even if we do have to travel a bit.
    I’d probably suggest Cheltenham rather than Cirencester as a base for exploring The Cotswolds if you’re looking for a decent choice of eateries.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    YORK
    Thought you would have prefered Boston ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Often wondered what Belfast is like, I didn’t know they had big steel gates between the various areas they shut at night. Like to go there one day but I’m so anti religious I’ve never been keen
    Great city, puts me in mind of a small Edinburgh . The main sectarian part is small but fascinating . the black cab tour is interesting and informative.

Some really good suggestions on here,thanks, I am 'fortunate' to have worked and visited most of the big name cities, but keen to explore the Jurasic coast and the Cotswolds. We like a nice 'reserved' (non rowdy) night scene, good eateries and nice places to look around during the day even if we do have to travel a bit.

Others who may be looking for similar I agree that Belfast makes for a great break, I prefer Edinburgh to Glasgow, but Inverness also makes a great base for discovering the Highlands and Skye. i also want to go to the Hebrides, the Channel Islands and the Faroe Islands (I know its not UK).but its so, so expensive.
    Have you considered Blackpool? Some good reports from there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    I lived in Lincoln for nearly 40 years and your instinct to have it on your list is a sound one, you'll love it.
    Sometimes after being in Cardiff for a match/break I used to stopover at The Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury and I can thoroughly recommend there too, if you want to break up your journey.
    So coming to the end of my week staying in Louth, what a fantastic part of the country. Driving through the Wolds wants to make me retire here. Did Lincoln today (The Cathedral Square) and loved it. I would thoroughly recommend this part of the world with Lincoln being badged as UKs most underated city break. Everywhere here across the County is so tidy and free of litter. Looks like a lovely retirement place.

So coming to the end of my week staying in Louth, what a fantastic part of the country. Driving through the Wolds wants to make me retire here. Did Lincoln today (The Cathedral Square) and loved it. I would thoroughly recommend this part of the world with Lincoln being badged as UKs most underated city break. Everywhere here across the County is so tidy and free of litter. Looks like a lovely retirement place.
    The Upper Town part of Lincoln is fantastic, granted but the lower part of the city had a major spice problem when I went about three years back, with quite a number of people static and spaced out. First time I'd seen that. Thankfully the hill up to the top was steep enough to ward them off the nice pubs at the top.

Feedback

London

I worked up in Sleaford for a few weeks, weird place not too far from Lincoln. Countryside is obviously very nice