+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Since we beat QPR in the playoffs

Since we beat QPR in the playoffs

We have won 319 league games. Only the big 6 in the Premier League along with Brentford, Leeds and Sheffield Utd have won as many. Only the big 6, Everton, Wolves and Leicester have lost less games than us.

We are one of only 20 sides that haven't played in a lower tier than the Championship. It's been 14 years since we last finished in the bottom half of the Championship. 9 of those 20 sides have finished in the bottom half, so we are one of only 11 sides since 2007 have never finished below 12th in the Championship.

Re: Since we beat QPR in the playoffs

In addition, only the Prem big 6 and Leicester have scored more league goals than us since 2003.

See, its not really that bad after all, is it.

In a way though, those figures indicate that we have stood still over the past eighteen years to some extent, as two seasons apart, we've not had the drop in points gained which tends to follow promotions. Don't get me wrong, they are impressive stats which indicate why predictions on how we'd do this season from national pundits tended to be more optimistic than many City fans felt we'd do. We're an established top half of the Championship side, but I'd say that teams such as Brighton, Norwich, Palace, Burnley and Watford, who I feel we can all be legitimately compared with these days, have done better than us since 2003 despite what the results might say.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    In a way though, those figures indicate that we have stood still over the past eighteen years to some extent, as two seasons apart, we've not had the drop in points gained which tends to follow promotions. Don't get me wrong, they are impressive stats which indicate why predictions on how we'd do this season from national pundits tended to be more optimistic than many City fans felt we'd do. We're an established top half of the Championship side, but I'd say that teams such as Brighton, Norwich, Palace, Burnley and Watford, who I feel we can all be legitimately compared with these days, have done better than us since 2003 despite what the results might say.
    Absolutely.

The big 6 in the Prem have been in situ for a good decade, most of them more than that, so they'll always come top in stats like this. Statistically we've been one of the Championship's very best sides without spending much time in the top division. Not many sides have finished top half of the Championship or higher for 14 consecutive seasons.

It'll be interesting to see where our next step will be - backwards and more mid table mediocrity, or forwards, promotion and Premier League survival or yo-yoing. If it ends up being the former, there'll be a sense of having missed the boat somewhat.

We've had it pretty good compared to most, there's nothing to complain about really.

It would be nice just to survive a season in the Prem for once. I think we are still the only side to have been promoted twice to the premier league and have never stayed up

How many sides since that time have been promoted to the premiership more times than us, or spent more seasons there than us?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    How many sides since that time have been promoted to the premiership more times than us, or spent more seasons there than us?
    Norwich? Fulham? West Brom?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Norwich? Fulham? West Brom?
    So three teams outside the top 6 having more of a consistently good time.. It's a hard life being a City fan innit, the euphoric highs, (the promotions, the cup finals), the highs, (seasons where we challenge), the lows, (the relegations) and the really, really shit times when we finish just outside the play offs.. and with us starting off just narrowly avoiding 5-0 drubbings in the first three matches this season, things don't bode well - I don't know why we bother!!

Yes, I think io read somewhere that we have the best record in th Championship of any team over the last 10-12 years. 2 promotions for us, but we have generally stayed there whilst others like Leicester, Palace, Watford, Brighton, Villa and Leeds have all improved immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    So three teams outside the top 6 having more of a consistently good time.. It's a hard life being a City fan innit, the euphoric highs, (the promotions, the cup finals), the highs, (seasons where we challenge), the lows, (the relegations) and the really, really shit times when we finish just outside the play offs.. and with us starting off just narrowly avoiding 5-0 drubbings in the first three matches this season, things don't bode well - I don't know why we bother!!
    Calm down. I just tried to answer a question. I'm not even sure if the answers are right. I certainly wasn't trying to make any kind of statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely.

The big 6 in the Prem have been in situ for a good decade, most of them more than that, so they'll always come top in stats like this. Statistically we've been one of the Championship's very best sides without spending much time in the top division. Not many sides have finished top half of the Championship or higher for 14 consecutive seasons.

It'll be interesting to see where our next step will be - backwards and more mid table mediocrity, or forwards, promotion and Premier League survival or yo-yoing. If it ends up being the former, there'll be a sense of having missed the boat somewhat.
    More mid table mediocrity ? We have been challenging at the top end for the vast majority of the time.