+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bamba

Re: Bamba

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I don't get this kind of attitude "he's got money so **** him"

He's got money because of the profession he's good at, it's not his fault the insane wages they pay footballers.

He still deserves to be kept in the loop, common decency you'd afford any employee.
    Contradicts himself though. He says he wasnt kept in the loop but then says Mick told him he wasnt getting playing contract or a coaching job. Did they think we were just going to sack Steve Morrison so he could take over the Under 23's?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We don't know this for sure though do we? He's got a new gig with Boro, I think it's best all round. Let's see if he can be an asset to them.
    This.

Makes me chuckle when people are posting he would have been an asset to the club ? On what basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Something's a bit off about this story and the old cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't 'encouraged' by Warnock (he's a wily old fox and will use anything to get CCFC fans to give Middleborough an easy ride when we play them down here). I'll no doubt sound like a bloody conspiracy theorist but WOL will also have their grubby fingers in the Warnock PR pie just to get the click-bait.

All this stuff I read about giving Warnock and Sol a great welcome at CCS doesn't sit well with me. As soon as a player or manager dons the opposition kit, then they're fair game for a rough ride. We can be nice after the game not before. I mean, it'll be embarrassing with Peltier on the pitch too. And what if they re-sign Mendez-Laing or sign Junior Hoilett? I know he didn't play under Warnock but what about Ameobi!

We've all got a soft spot for Sol but come on, this is a new season and I agree with Stan, I don't like the ex-player stories and 'Cardiff City are at the start of a new season and that's all we should be focusing on'. and as 2b2bdoo quite rightly says - 'To be fair as a footballer if your contract expires and your not getting a new one it's not rocket science.'

Sol's 37 next January. Maybe he'll be a great coach. I don't know. I wish him well.
    Peltier is another one who has turned up at Middlesbrough after throwing his toys out the pram when he didn't get the new contract from us that Warnock had supposedly promised him.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I don't get this kind of attitude "he's got money so **** him"

He's got money because of the profession he's good at, it's not his fault the insane wages they pay footballers.

He still deserves to be kept in the loop, common decency you'd afford any employee.
    Seems he was kept in the loop from what he says. MM told him and as his boss he was the right man to do it, but that wasn't enough for him.

I think he's been set up by his new boss to make an issue of it.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Seems he was kept in the loop from what he says. MM told him and as his boss he was the right man to do it, but that wasn't enough for him.

I think he's been set up by his new boss to make an issue of it.
    He's been approached by WOL to do an interview and agreed. From what he said he had mixed messages from the club - with Mehmet Dalman saying something different from Mick McCarthy. Communication could have been better.

Good luck to him, and thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    He's been approached by WOL to do an interview and agreed. From what he said he had mixed messages from the club - with Mehmet Dalman saying something different from Mick McCarthy. Communication could have been better.

Good luck to him, and thanks for the memories!
    Yes maybe it could have been better but reading between the lines he was told by Mehmet a long time before his conversation with Mick ie when Harris was in charge.

Bamba has been around football long enough to know how quickly things can change, especially when a new manager comes in.

Also, hes not a kid, if he wasnt entirely happy with what he was told by Mick, believing there was an unwritten deal in place for him to look after the under 23's when he hung up his boots then he or his agent could have spoken to the club. Communication is a two way street.

Lets not forget he also said at the end of the season he wasnt willing to hang up his boots and wanted to carry on playing one more season. He says himself that Mick had told him that wasnt going to happen at Cardiff and rightly so, hes offered nothing on the pitch for 2.5 years and been well looked after by the club in that time.

How many other clubs would have extended a 34 years old contract when he suffered a career threatening injury that was going to keep him out for six months to a year?

I can't see him getting much game time at 36 and recovering from cancer

He will have lost so much muscle

However if he goes onto great things in management then some people on here are going to fall very quiet

Once again the club demonstrates that it doesn’t repay the loyalty it receives from anyone.
    Pity. I know it’s a business but nice helpful gestures often don’t cost much.

Only one side of the story has been reported, and it's pretty poor journalism in my opinion, not to seek the clubs view. I cant believe for a second that Sol didn't know he wasnt getting a new contract. Was he in the middle of contract negotiations or not? Maybe being on holiday at the time the retained list was released prevented him from attending a meeting.
    Yes the story as its presented doesn't put the club in a particularly good light, but it's not the full story.

Fair enough Bloop but it does seem to follow a pattern on the face of it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Only one side of the story has been reported, and it's pretty poor journalism in my opinion, not to seek the clubs view. I cant believe for a second that Sol didn't know he wasnt getting a new contract. Was he in the middle of contract negotiations or not? Maybe being on holiday at the time the retained list was released prevented him from attending a meeting.
    Yes the story as its presented doesn't put the club in a particularly good light, but it's not the full story.
    I quite agree..it's not the full story. Where does Bamba's agent feature in all this? I thought he would be the one involved with negotiating the contract and giving Bamba feedback. It doesn't add up.

After a few words about his illness, Mick McCarthy was quite dismissive of the idea of Sol becoming a coach here when asked about it a week or two ago and the thought occurred to me that there was a little bit of the same sort of thing we saw between Jimmy Andrews and John Toshack all of those years ago going on. If there was, I could understand it in a way because I reckon there'd be a clamour from many supporters to sack Mick and replace him with Sol, had he stayed if, every time we had a few poor results in the coming months and years.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I quite agree..it's not the full story. Where does Bamba's agent feature in all this? I thought he would be the one involved with negotiating the contract and giving Bamba feedback. It doesn't add up.
    The story is a load of bollocks there was no need to say anything.
    It will appeal to the usual suspects the club basher and co but most people can see through this story and know theres two sides not just Bamba's

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    After a few words about his illness, Mick McCarthy was quite dismissive of the idea of Sol becoming a coach here when asked about it a week or two ago and the thought occurred to me that there was a little bit of the same sort of thing we saw between Jimmy Andrews and John Toshack all of those years ago going on. If there was, I could understand it in a way because I reckon there'd be a clamour from many supporters to sack Mick and replace him with Sol, had he stayed if, every time we had a few poor results in the coming months and years.
    No manager wants a player or coach undermining him and having a cosy relationship with the chairman. Warnock didnt like have Bellamy around and the cynic in me wouldnt put it past him having his grubby hands in that bullying affair.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No manager wants a player or coach undermining him and having a cosy relationship with the chairman. Warnock didnt like have Bellamy around and the cynic in me wouldnt put it past him having his grubby hands in that bullying affair.
    Behind all his faces i think Warnock is a nasty horrible piece of work..

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Clough was a complete tosser but a great manager

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Clough was a complete tosser but a great manager
    Brian Clough was one of the greats. Warnock is a second rate manager ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I can’t stand the bloke. He’s not daft though, taken a lot of people for a ride with that false exterior.

Brian Clough was one of the greats. Warnock is a second rate manager ffs.
    He's very good at what he does

The issue is Clough, like Warnock was a bit dodgy

I can’t stand the bloke. He’s not daft though, taken a lot of people for a ride with that false exterior.
    So , when he put the brakes on a sliding team and got us promoted the following season you were on here saying .......I can't stand warnock

Bamba was a very enthusiastic addition, prone to the odd error but I was satisfied with his contribution to the cause but his time was up. A sad illness on top of a nasty injury with Father Time against him as well, the club had to do what they had to do. But let’s be honest he was no defensive colossus with legend status really, he couldn’t hold a candle in those stakes to the likes of Don Murray or Phil Dwyer and shouldn’t be held up as such.

Played full 90 mins for Middlesbrough yesterday. Pleased to see him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Played full 90 mins for Middlesbrough yesterday. Pleased to see him back.
    Not in a million years should a 36-year-old Sol be playing 90mins in a 3-5-2 on the left. He was booked at 63' for a bad foul and Coventry scored their first goal at 71'. I'm just so pleased Middlesborough lost 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So , when he put the brakes on a sliding team and got us promoted the following season you were on here saying .......I can't stand warnock

I think my personal opinion of Warnock is more nuanced than that.

Thankful he came in and saved us from a relegation fight.
    Thought he did magnificently to get us promoted with a limited side.
    Loved his passion, fans engagement and getting some brilliant free signings in.
    Thought he was absolutely useless at spending money.
    Never thought he would be good enough to sustain a premier league side.
    Didn't think he could get the best out of flair players.
    The longer he was with us he slowly eradicated all pace from the team and we became even more one dimensional.

All of the above can be true at the same time. So my views of Warnock are a mixed bag really. You have to take the good, bad and the ugly.