+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Shop owners claim popular street has been 'ruined' by measures designed to help it during the pandemic

Shop owners claim popular street has been 'ruined' by measures designed to help it during the pandemic

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...anges-21296990

Wellfield Road in Roath has been transformed over the last 18 months - but many of those who work on the street say it's now the worst it's ever been.

Re: Shop owners claim popular street has been 'ruined' by measures designed to help it during the pandemic

Council throwing money at cycle lanes to tick environmental boxes never mind the problems they cause.

International

Re: Shop owners claim popular street has been 'ruined' by measures designed to help it during the pandemic

i knw which street you were going to name befoe I opened the thread,
    Its a prime example of agenda some on the council have which has no real regard for the people who actually have to live with their grand plans.
    Wasting millions on things that are 'nice to have' whilst claiming poverty and inability to fund essentail front line services. A £21 millon shortfall in funding which means essentail servies costs cannot be met and an intention to hike tax by 4.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Council throwing money at cycle lanes to tick environmental boxes never mind the problems they cause.
    I'd like to know if the air quality has deteriorated around there since the council introduced the one-way system.

I) Westminster Council have just spent £6million on a man made hill to try and draw people back into the area after reintroduction of cars had put people off.

II) why is Cardiff Council being blamed for people smoking and leaving beer in plant pots or littering? Person against changes doesn't want to criticise their customers even for their customers behaviour?

III) who is still driving down there? Make the argument that it ruins wider areas sure, but who is choosing to drive down somewhere clearly now meant for minimal traffic? It wasn't great for traffic before changes either.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Real threat of Cardiff being hit by rising see levels but sure, it's just about ticking a box.

Council have ruined travelling into town so not defending everything they do but encouraging a cafe and bike culture on area already with a lot of cafes? Don't think that is unrealistic or irresponsible.

Clear many city councils are pushing to become the next Holland but it’s going to take decades of pain to get there

Personally I don’t think it’s worth it

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Real threat of Cardiff being hit by rising see levels but sure, it's just about ticking a box.

Council have ruined travelling into town so not defending everything they do but encouraging a cafe and bike culture on area already with a lot of cafes? Don't think that is unrealistic or irresponsible.
    Sea levels will continue to rise around Cardiff regardless

I’m not sure a bit of paint on the road will alter that

Ruin cross-city traffic routes - tick.
    Ruin Wellfield Road - tick.
    Ruin Crwys Road - mission currently underway.

Populism councils hey

They are right. Avoid the area, like what i have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Ruin cross-city traffic routes - tick.
    Ruin Wellfield Road - tick.
    Ruin Crwys Road - mission currently underway.
    I got a cab from town to CCS last weekend for the Barnsley game. What a shitshow they've done to Wood St / Tudor Rd. Roadworks galore to make one way systems full of confusion that poor motorists going about their business will fall foul of.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Its a prime example of agenda some on the council have which has no real regard for the people who actually have to live with their grand plans.
    Wasting millions on things that are 'nice to have' whilst claiming poverty and inability to fund essentail front line services. A £21 millon shortfall in funding which means essentail servies costs cannot be met and an intention to hike tax by 4.5%
    Don’t you love some nice exhaust fumes with a coffee and croissant? Does anyone actually sit out on the wider pavements next to the traffic jam and breathe them in? Great work by the council hey

Back before the Covid lockdown, I spotted a Council notice on a lamp-post near my house, announcing plans to introduce paid parking on Whitchurch Road. As I felt strongly that this was not only unnecessary, but also a sure-fire way to destroy the small businesses along the road, I wrote in and lodged an objection.
    A couple of days ago, I had an email in response. To be fair, Covid put everything on hold, and they have only just got around to discussing this. Thankfully they have decided not to go ahead for the time being, but the (long) email included this statement, which I think just about sums up the current Council's attitude to road use....

The Council, through planning, are doing much to discourage businesses, employees, commuters and visitors from commuting to work using private vehicles by encouraging the use of sustainable and public transport, with parking charges and restrictions being one way of achieving this and encouraging the development of travel plans and car sharing. In addition, the Council does not provide on-street parking facilities for businesses.

Cardiff Council has a Transport Strategy and Projects Team who advise that individual journey planning can be undertaken by using the Traveline Cymru Journey Planner. This system allows the traveller to plan door to door journeys using public transport options which are kept up to date to reflect service availability. For employers the Council’s Travel Planning team offer advice and information to employers in the city on workplace and travel planning. This service supports employers in identifying the facilities its employees need to use sustainable transport modes more often, and includes information on the availability of alternatives to travelling by car and practical advice on developing and implementing a workplace travel plan. The Transport Strategy and Projects Team also works closely with employers to promote the uptake of car sharing and the South East Wales Transport Alliance (Sewta) of which Cardiff Council is a member, also promotes a car sharing scheme open to the public.

There are also a number of city-wide schemes being implemented including cycle network improvements, civil parking enforcement and smarter travel choices initiatives. There are no proposals to introduce incentives to accommodate commuter parking in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Back before the Covid lockdown, I spotted a Council notice on a lamp-post near my house, announcing plans to introduce paid parking on Whitchurch Road. As I felt strongly that this was not only unnecessary, but also a sure-fire way to destroy the small businesses along the road, I wrote in and lodged an objection.
    A couple of days ago, I had an email in response. To be fair, Covid put everything on hold, and they have only just got around to discussing this. Thankfully they have decided not to go ahead for the time being, but the (long) email included this statement, which I think just about sums up the current Council's attitude to road use....

The Council, through planning, are doing much to discourage businesses, employees, commuters and visitors from commuting to work using private vehicles by encouraging the use of sustainable and public transport, with parking charges and restrictions being one way of achieving this and encouraging the development of travel plans and car sharing. In addition, the Council does not provide on-street parking facilities for businesses.

Cardiff Council has a Transport Strategy and Projects Team who advise that individual journey planning can be undertaken by using the Traveline Cymru Journey Planner. This system allows the traveller to plan door to door journeys using public transport options which are kept up to date to reflect service availability. For employers the Council’s Travel Planning team offer advice and information to employers in the city on workplace and travel planning. This service supports employers in identifying the facilities its employees need to use sustainable transport modes more often, and includes information on the availability of alternatives to travelling by car and practical advice on developing and implementing a workplace travel plan. The Transport Strategy and Projects Team also works closely with employers to promote the uptake of car sharing and the South East Wales Transport Alliance (Sewta) of which Cardiff Council is a member, also promotes a car sharing scheme open to the public.

There are also a number of city-wide schemes being implemented including cycle network improvements, civil parking enforcement and smarter travel choices initiatives. There are no proposals to introduce incentives to accommodate commuter parking in this area.
    Think they might need to update that. SEWTA closed down 7 years ago.

You've posted this about as many times as DML has jumped to Neil Warnocks defence in a thread on here...

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You've posted this about as many times as DML has jumped to Neil Warnocks defence in a thread on here...
    Does that make it less true?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...anges-21296990

Wellfield Road in Roath has been transformed over the last 18 months - but many of those who work on the street say it's now the worst it's ever been.
    I posted about this a month or so back after I had to pick some stuff up from there. The two lane bike lane is wider than the car 'road', and is one-way. No cyclists, little footfall, you have to park round the corner if you can find a spot. And wait till the autumn/winter.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I posted about this a month or so back after I had to pick some stuff up from there. The two lane bike lane is wider than the car 'road', and is one-way. No cyclists, little footfall, you have to park round the corner if you can find a spot. And wait till the autumn/winter.
    The two way bike lane is hardly wide enough for 2 bikes to pass each other. It's not wider than the road.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The two way bike lane is hardly wide enough for 2 bikes to pass each other. It's not wider than the road.
    Been there ?

Does that make it less true?
    No. But is there any need?

Reminds me of the twins in lock stock "yeah dad, we know"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...k-ins-21631175

Cardiff street plagued by break-ins 'every other day' for three months.