+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Peterborough - official Cardiff City graveyard

Peterborough - official Cardiff City graveyard

Peterborough are relatively recent opponents of ours, having first faced them in the league in 1975/76. Our first trip there resulted in a 0-0 draw in April 1976. Forward 10 years and we managed a 2-1 win in October 1986 under Frankie Burrows with goals from Nigel Vaughan and Paul Wheeler. We've been there 12 times since then and not won, making it the longest current winless run in terms of games played at any football ground. We've drawn 2 of those 12 games - Kavanagh scoring in a 1-1 draw in 2001 and, well, the less said about the 28th December 2009 the better!

8 of those 10 defeats have been by just one goal. Our last 3 games have all been lost by a single goal, each time after we've been in front. In 5 of our last 6 visits to London road we've been ahead and have lost 4 and drawn 2. We have a habit of throwing away games there.

Of sides we've played more than a handful of occasions, we've only got a worse win percentage record at Man City and Barnet.

Re: Peterborough - official Cardiff City graveyard

Another win for us I'm going 1-3 this time , Jacks to lose to Stoke 2 nil .

Yes, about time we broke the hoodoo. As I said on another thread, Posh struggled to beat a very poor Derby on Saturday. The winger Dembele stood out and our full backs will have to be on their game to keep him quiet.
    I think we can bully them, like we did Blackpool.
    Another 2-0 w.

Another test of whether we can be consistent, score goals and not make defensive cock ups.

Don’t think previous results effect it.

They've long been a thorn in our side. But they're not as good as us and we're going to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Another test of whether we can be consistent, score goals and not make defensive cock ups.

Don’t think previous results affect it.
    Our head-to-head against Liverpool proves this.

Prior to playing them at Anfield in a league cup game in 2007 we had beaten them 18 times in 28 attempts, only losing 7. We'd won 8 out of our previous 9 games against them. This was at a time when we we had just been relegated to the second division back in the 1950s and Liverpool were a second tier side. Since then, Liverpool have become one of the biggest clubs and have beaten us every time since 2007, even if one was fortunate on penalties.

Looks like the Peterborough bogey is going to strike again. Dreadful start to the second half.

First Team

At this rate we are certainly not being raised from the dead tonight.

And

The way it finished, point gained.
    Two poorly conceded goals apart, I thought we played well.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The way it finished, point gained.
    Two poorly conceded goals apart, I thought we played well.
    Really? I thought we had no creativity at all until the end and they could easily have ripped us apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Really? I thought we had no creativity at all until the end and they could easily have ripped us apart.
    Well not having seen much of us play thus far, the way many have been griping about our non footballing style of play, I was pleasantly surprised.

Until they scored, poor defensively granted, we were the better side.
    The second we got caught cold but fair play we kept at it and even though I couldn't see us rescuing anything, the City players got their just rewards.

We were pretty dominant in the aerial battles but our approach play was certainly not lump it up to the CF and pick up the pieces, we kept it on the deck and tried to play on grass.

That Giles fella is absolute quality and his service to the strikers was superb.

All in all, happy with a point in the end and still unbeaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not sure about the second part, we weren't at the races but Peterborough were hardly dominant at any point