+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wonderful Speach

Wonderful Speach

Re: Wonderful Speach

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We need to do more for veterans with mental health. Checks notes, oh yes the CONservatives who I am a member of are in power and have been for over 11 years and we have done bugger all to help them. Cons in power for how many of the last 100 years and still the saps vote for them.

Yes mental health has always been undervalued.

Loved the way he positioned his speach leading cleverly up to the stinging attack on Biden

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    We need to do more for veterans with mental health. Checks notes, oh yes the CONservatives who I am a member of are in power and have been for over 11 years and we have done bugger all to help them. Cons in power for how many of the last 100 years and still the saps vote for them.
    What did the labour goverment do for war veterans and soldiers with mental health issues?
    It's not just the conservatives

I agree. As I said in my separate post he and Tobias Elwood should be in much more senior positions And add to that Johnny Mercer who should still be a Minister

Wow. That really was a speech.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    What did the labour goverment do for war veterans and soldiers with mental health issues?
    Bugger all - same as the Tories

He's clearly a decent man

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Bugger all - same as the Tories
    I think you’ll find that Austerity and subsequent cuts to all departments has had a massive impact on everyone getting the help they need.

PS other parties available other than the main 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    I think you’ll find that Austerity and subsequent cuts to all departments has had a massive impact on everyone getting the help they need.

PS other parties available other than the main 2.
    What about all the time that they did bugger all before austerity?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I'm sure there is good and bad treatment from all parties but, to offer an answer to the question, in Wales (under Labour) you can be treated as being priority need for support if you're homeless since leaving the armed forces but can't in England (Conservatives).

What did the labour goverment do for war veterans and soldiers with mental health issues? Make it more likely that they can get help if they become homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'm sure there is good and bad treatment from all parties but, to offer an answer to the question, in Wales (under Labour) you can be treated as being priority need for support if you're homeless since leaving the armed forces but can't in England (Conservatives).

What did the labour goverment do for war veterans and soldiers with mental health issues? Make it more likely that they can get help if they become homeless.
    This is so vitally important. The Royal British Legion figures aren't up-to-date - it also seems nobody is keeping an accurate record of veterans who are homeless. But when percentages are quoted the numbers are still in their thousands.

Add to this the greater number of veterans in prison (and a huge number of other members of the population suffering from mental health problems and PTSD) then there's a forgotten number of people (predominantly army) slipping through the cracks and requiring greater support.

The eight Ds - drink, debt, drugs, divorce, depression, domestic violence, dependency culture, and digs are the greatest threats. If you consider that it really doesn't take long for anyone without savings to end up homeless then it's highly likely that anyone experiencing these things can end sleeping rough or back in prison. That's without the added stresses of PTSD.

People come out of prison with nothing. In May of this year, the prison discharge grant was increased for the first time in a quarter of a century from a pathetic £46 to a paltry £76 for transport, toiletries, food - even a bloody smartphone which is now a vital part of integration into society. It's not difficult to understand the spiral of homelessness and mental health issues when we have such a crap system of support for all people, let alone people who have been serving under the most horrendous conditions and experienced life-changing trauma and in many cases chronic disability.

A decade of austerity was madness. Imagine not maintaining or servicing your car for ten years. That's where we're at with social services and support. It is either broken or has stopped running.

Hindsight is a wonderful gift

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful gift
    As I said wonderful speech one of the best I've ever heard ( watched good men go into the earth ) being the most poignant part , much more so than May , Starmer's and Blackford's sniping .

It's creepy how much of the discourse was about UK veterans when really every focus should be on the Afghan people. For that reason "good men go into the earth" was a more poignant line than Ben Jarvis' attempt at summing it up.

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's creepy how much of the discourse was about UK veterans when really every focus should be on the Afghan people. For that reason "good men go into the earth" was a more poignant line than Ben Jarvis' attempt at summing it up.
    Why should every focus be an the Afgans and none on Britsh servicemen who gave their lives for them?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why should every focus be an the Afgans and none on Britsh servicemen who gave their lives for them?
    Reading it back following your message I wish to edit what I said:

The speeches where there appeared to be a rush to speak about servicemen and women were creepy because focus of speeches should have all been about Afgans. Of course part of the speeches should have been about the servicemen and women but Ben Jarvis talking about "honour to serve" was a creepy Americanism, on a day spent criticising America, and other speeches were much better.