+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    It was a rhetorical question but designed to get responses such as these. I would disagree that the entire cabinet is dross ( but a fair number are. I have no confidence in Dominic Raab as Foreign Secretary for example.

But yes Tughendhat and Elwood's faces do not fit. Neither did Johnny Mercer's. Time the other MP's in the Tory Party recognised this.

Tughendhat's criticism of Biden's attempt to lay a large part of the blame was particularly telling.
    Biden

I bet people who voted for him are appalled

Re: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Biden

I bet people who voted for him are appalled
    Trump of course started the rot.

But he only announce the final troop withdrawals a fortnight before the inauguration. Biden could and should have changed this decision in those first days when in a blaze of publicity he signed those various executive orders reversing other things that Trump had done.

There will be much criticism of this government over this debacle, much of it justified. But once America had decided to leave there was little we could do. I heard somewhere on TV that Boris Johnston had tried to get a group of other countries to try and step in but no one was interested. No idea how true this is.