+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Re: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I thought it was a wonderful speach
    As I pointed earlier in this thread, Lord Hain gave an excellent speech in the Lords where he said that all governments in the last 20 years bear responsibility and he wasn't going to get into the finger pointing at current politicians. This includes Theresa May's governments and I wonder what plans were put in place for such things as Visa's for interpreters and other vulnerable Afghansand indeed what contingency for an event such as this.

She spoke many fine words but would she have done any better when push came to shove??

Re: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    As I pointed earlier in this thread, Lord Hain gave an excellent speech in the Lords where he said that all governments in the last 20 years bear responsibility and he wasn't going to get into the finger pointing at current politicians. This includes Theresa May's governments and I wonder what plans were put in place for such things as Visa's for interpreters and other vulnerable Afghansand indeed what contingency for an event such as this.

She spoke many fine words but would she have done any better when push came to shove??
    Not a single MP could have done a thing , logistically once USA pulled out we were done like a kipper.

The only thing any UK politician could have done differently was not be on holiday and have a phone on 24/7 .

Its worth noting since April repatriations have been taking place from Afghanistan to UK , as have discussion.

Most politicians knew the Taliban would become a force that's why for the last two years they have been engaged in discussions with the west , its fair to say most experts were shocked at thier sudden advances by such a relatively small force in such a big country against a huge number of people???

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not a single MP could have done a thing , logistically once USA pulled out we were done like a kipper.

The only thing any UK politician could have done differently was not be on holiday and have a phone on 24/7 .

Its worth noting since April repatriations have been taking place from Afghanistan to UK , as have discussion.

Most politicians knew the Taliban would become a force that's why for the last two years they have been engaged in discussions with the west , its fair to say most experts were shocked at thier sudden advances by such a relatively small force in such a big country against a huge number of people???
    The blame for that lies squarely with the Afghan army who, basically, ran away.