+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Anyone who heard their speeches just now in the Afghanistan debate must wonder why on earth they aren't in the cabinet. In senior posts.

I know they are in two of the most senior posts outside the Government as Chairmen of the Foreign Affairs and Defence committees respectively.

But they should be in a position where they can actively influence decisions.

Yes I know it is another political thread on the main board. But this crisis deserves wide discussion.

Re: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Anyone who heard their speeches just now in the Afghanistan debate must wonder why on earth they aren't in the cabinet. In senior posts.

I know they are in two of the most senior posts outside the Government as Chairmen of the Foreign Affairs and Defence committees respectively.

Yes I know it is another political thread on the main board. But this crisis deserves wide discussion.
    Because Johnson wants yes men/women. Those currently in the cabinet are complete and utter dross. They know they shouldn’t be there and so are happy to lie, lie and lie some more for the biggest fraud ever as PM.

Re: Afghanistan Debate. Why aren't Tom Tughendhat and Tobias Elwood in more senior Government posts

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Because Johnson wants yes men/women. Those currently in the cabinet are complete and utter dross. They know they shouldn’t be there and so are happy to lie, lie and lie some more for the biggest fraud ever as PM.
    So very true

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    It was a rhetorical question but designed to get responses such as these. I would disagree that the entire cabinet is dross ( but a fair number are. I have no confidence in Dominic Raab as Foreign Secretary for example.

But yes Tughendhat and Elwood's faces do not fit. Neither did Johnny Mercer's. Time the other MP's in the Tory Party recognised this.

Tughendhat's criticism of Biden's attempt to lay a large part of the blame was particularly telling.

Johnson is shocking

I cannot believe this arsehole is running the country

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Johnson is shocking

He’s not … that’s obvious 😂

Tobias Ellwood is in charge of Brigade 77, a section of the Army that monitors its own population

Johnson is shocking

Probably the hardest tenure of a PM since WW2

No opinion on how its been handled but it’s certainly easy to criticise.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

indeed

but I am not sure many on here will even entertain that fact

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    indeed

but I am not sure many on here will even entertain that fact
    Except so far this thread is just an echo chamber of excuses and sympathy for Boris. Probably better targets for your sympathy right now, like a bunch of people so desperate to escape whatever faces them that they lose their lives falling off the undercarriage of a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Because of Covid? Boris didn't believe it was real, that does make dealing with it quite hard.

It was a rhetorical question but designed to get responses such as these. I would disagree that the entire cabinet is dross ( but a fair number are. I have no confidence in Dominic Raab as Foreign Secretary for example.

But yes Tughendhat and Elwood's faces do not fit. Neither did Johnny Mercer's. Time the other MP's in the Tory Party recognised this.

Tughendhat's criticism of Biden's attempt to lay a large part of the blame was particularly telling.
    Biden

I bet people who voted for him are appalled

Biden

I bet people who voted for him are appalled
    Trump of course started the rot.

But he only announce the final troop withdrawals a fortnight before the inauguration. Biden could and should have changed this decision in those first days when in a blaze of publicity he signed those various executive orders reversing other things that Trump had done.

There will be much criticism of this government over this debacle, much of it justified. But once America had decided to leave there was little we could do. I heard somewhere on TV that Boris Johnston had tried to get a group of other countries to try and step in but no one was interested. No idea how true this is.

Remarkable to me is the expectation here though of politicians.

They are ALL venal and vacuus self seeking windbags with no ability or interest in achieving anything but their own advantage.

It’s been that way since Ancient Rome I’m afraid.

Whole debate to be had ( maybe not here) about whether representative government is either possible or existent.

Probably best not to go there or I’ll have the usual suspects screeching at me and getting angry that I challenged their simplistic understanding of the world

Hey, I will say this though. If voting changed anything they’d certainly ban it.

Also whilst I stand by my comments above, that’s a great pity because I know there are plenty of intelligent people here who’ve learned not to raise their heads above the parapet for fear of being mobbed by the moron gang.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Hey, I will say this though. If voting changed anything they’d certainly ban it.

Also whilst I stand by my comments above, that’s a great pity because I know there are plenty of intelligent people here who’ve learned not to raise their heads above the parapet for fear of being mobbed by the moron gang.
    It's not fear of your moron gang, Ronnie.

It's probably boredom with the pomposity and pointlessness of your wind ups - whether football or politics.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

It's probably boredom with the pomposity and pointlessness of your wind ups - whether football or politics.

No it’s not that. True it’s not fear either though.
    I just think it’s a bit of a pity that a few people are so obsessed with their own egos that they can’t enjoy and often won’t tolerate the exploration of anything which bucks their current pattern of thinking.

Of course that’s how we advance and it’s sometimes both interesting and entertaining, which does no harm. Look ,you’re as bad as anyone if you think about it - what did you want to do there - add to the conversation, challenge the concept or just call me a big twat and somehow boost yourself up by diminishing someone else or what they said ?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No it’s not that. True it’s not fear either though.
    I just think it’s a bit of a pity that a few people are so obsessed with their own egos that they can’t enjoy and often won’t tolerate the exploration of anything which bucks their current pattern of thinking.

Of course that’s how we advance and it’s sometimes both interesting and entertaining, which does no harm. Look ,you’re as bad as anyone if you think about it - what did you want to do there - add to the conversation, challenge the concept or just call me a big twat and somehow boost yourself up by diminishing someone else or what they said ?
    Huh? Look in the mirror, mate. Mostly you post contrarian viewpoints just designed to elicit a response. You surely don't believe a lot of the tripe you come out with? You're even posting climate-change denier BS.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

You can tell Ronnie is desperate for a bite, he came back 5 minutes later for a followup before anyone had even noticed his first one

Ex veterans minister Johnny Mercer has also criticised Johnson.

Agree they speak to the core of the issue . Sadly in better terms than some opposition MP's who appear to be point scoring ??

Seems neither went to Eton or Harrow, so probably that doesn't help their cause..

Trump of course started the rot.

But he only announce the final troop withdrawals a fortnight before the inauguration. Biden could and should have changed this decision in those first days when in a blaze of publicity he signed those various executive orders reversing other things that Trump had done.

There will be much criticism of this government over this debacle, much of it justified. But once America had decided to leave there was little we could do. I heard somewhere on TV that Boris Johnston had tried to get a group of other countries to try and step in but no one was interested. No idea how true this is.
    And before Trump Obama made the same troop withdrawal quote to apease public opinion the only difference is its on Bidens watch, its not a huge force they have the same troop numbers in Europe and South Korea.
    Biden could have made his win choice and kept something in place in the name of peace for innocent women and children.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And before Trump Obama made the same troop withdrawal quote to apease public opinion the only difference is its on Bidens watch, its not a huge force they have the same troop numbers in Europe and South Korea.
    Biden could have made his win choice and kept something in place in the name of peace for innocent women and children.
    And before Obama!...don't stop there mate! this has been a problem for decades.

Global Britain? The UK now have a frosty relationship with the USA and Europe leaving them either reaching out to nations who aren't concerned about human rights or shouting in a chamber trying not to admit it can't actually do anything.

Is Tobias Elwood related to you?