Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
This is at the heart of the matter for many conspiracy theorists*, a desire of some sort to appear intelligent by apparently knowing something most others don't.

The question they really need to ask themselves is how likely is it that I have discovered a truth just from sitting at home on my computer that billions of people, some more educated and hard working than me, haven't?

*"Climate change is made up so politicians can get rich" is a classic example of a conspiracy theory
Absolutely. And they somehow think that the Russians, the Chinese, the Americans and all the major countries around the world (and of very different political leanings) are able to conspire together. In a junior capacity I have attended many intergovernmental meetings and the representatives of some countries refuse to communicate between themselves. In the first meeting I ever attended I was placed in a position around the table away from the UK delegates and inbetween the government officials of two such countries merely to keep them apart.