+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 3 - 1 MILLWALL.

FT: CARDIFF CITY 3 - 1 MILLWALL.

Saturday August 21st, ko 3:00pm

Match Officials:

Referee: JAMES LININGTON
    Assistants: Nik Barnard and George Byrne
    Fourth Official : Andy Woolmer

SEASON TICKET CARDS HAVE NOT BEEN ISSUED. DOWNLOAD TO PHONE FROM YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNT OR BY CLICKING LINK SENT VIA TEXT/EMAIL FROM THE CLUB.

Season Ticket Holders without smartphones can request a paper ticket to access their Season Ticket seats for these fixtures. These will be kept for collection on the day of the game. If you wish to do so - please contact the Ticket Office on 03333 11 1920 (10am-4:30pm Monday to Friday) or via email at tickets@cardiffcityfc.co.uk

Re: CARDIFF CITY v MILLWALL. Match thread

Injury Update:

Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy admits he's delighted to see Isaac Vassell take such a significant step towards first team contention this week, and admits he's faced something of a "counselling job".

Vassell emerged unscathed for the under-23s against Wigan Athletic, playing a full 90 minutes for the second time in a week, having previously not managed a full game in around two years.

Saturday's clash with Millwall will be too soon for the striker, but it seems only a matter of time before he's knocking on the door, much to the delight of the Bluebirds boss.

"The more 90 minutes Isaac can get, the better it is for him and for us," he said on Friday.

"I’m delighted for him because I’ve seen lads before who’ve had long-term injuries and it’s been two years since he had a full 90 minutes. That’s just dreadful for a footballer that just wants to play and wants to be fit.

"So it’s great for him. I’m delighted. And for us, he’s quite clearly a very good player."

Vassell's nightmare stint in south Wales has clearly taken its toll, with McCarthy admitting he's had to do his best to keep the 27-year-old focused on the task at hand, adding that he still believes the forward can play an important role in his plans for the upcoming season.

"The management of players is very important," McCarthy said.

"Recognising the ones that do need it, it’s like a counselling job at times. I’ve been saying to him, we know he can play. There’s no doubt about his ability. He’s just got to get fit and get minutes and stay on the pitch. The more he does that, the longer he does that, the better it is for him.

"If you’re coming back and you’re not fully fit, your touch is not there, your finish is not there, and you can’t run as hard, or as fast. You get annoyed with yourself that you’re not playing to your ability.

"I’ve been at pains to say to him that it happens to everyone, every pre-season when they come back. So, if you can imagine missing two years, you just get your fitness back, get your strength back, get back to where you were and if you manage to do that, we’ve got a really good player."

McCarthy has no fresh concerns heading into Saturday's clash with Millwall, but Lee Tomlin and Isaak Davies are still seemingly some way away from first team contention.

"Tommo was poorly earlier on in the week so I’ve not seen him. I’m not sure if he’s in this morning [Friday]. I’ve not seen him.

"Isaak is just doing rehab and will hopefully be back soon."

Meanwhile, the likes of Kieffer Moore and Rubin Colwill could soon be in contention to start after previously being restricted to appearances off the bench so far this season.

Both players were introduced during the 2-2 draw at Peterborough United on Tuesday night, but McCarthy says both are now in contention to be involved from the off.

"I would say so now. They've not had required minutes in terms of on the pitch but they've been training now. They're in a much better position to be able to start."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-mick-21358467

Mick press conference:

Team news - any fresh concerns?​

"No fresh concerns. Everyone’s okay, thankfully."

Moore etc ready to start yet?
    I would say so, yeah. They've not had required minutes in terms of on the pitch but they've been training well.

They're in a much better position now to be able to start.

Selection headaches after the way you came back on Tuesday?​
    Absolutely. The lads have done well. The lads that went on did well, but it’s not headaches when you send subs on and they do well. It’s a nice problem to have. If you put subs on and they don’t do anything that’s a different matter altogether. We had 25 minutes in the second half, I don’t know where the first five minutes came from that’s for sure. And then we were all out of kilter. They were on the front foot, we were struggling, but the reaction in the last 20 minutes was excellent.

Resolve has been a big part of your reign?​
    Absolutely. We were 2-0 down at Barnsley in my first game and they responded similarly on that occasion. It’s a lovely quality to have, certainly in the Championship. If you haven’t got those qualities and you got 2-0 down you start getting spanked. It’s not a nice place to be. Knowing they’ve got that resilience and that willingness to fight for each other is a real benefit, particularly in this league because it’s a tough old league.

Need a bit more than that to succeed?​
    Without a doubt. And we’ve shown it in both. We showed far more quality at Blackpool. The performance there was very good. The first half against Peterborough, I was quite confident we’d go on and clear that game in the second half.

It was always going to be a tough game at Peterborough, but if you can’t play well, show all those other qualities and then don’t get beat.

More to come?​
    I’d like to think there’s a lot more to come. If the start’s anything to go by, then we’ve done okay. We’ll get better and better as we continue to train and play together.

On a good run - three defeats out of 26​
    They’re nice stats to have to back it up. I certainly don’t like losing games. Three out of 26 defeats is pretty good. The lads have been terrific. We won seven on the bounce at one stage last season. Nobody’s won all their games in the league this season. It’s going to be a tough old league. I see West Brom, Bournemouth, Fulham, anyone who finishes above them will probably win the league. Lots of the other teams might be a much of a muchness I don’t know. So that resilience and doggedness is going to help us.

Millwall - a scrap tomorrow?​
    They’ll be looking to get some points. At the start of the season, if you don’t start it well it becomes tougher and tougher, looking for your first win. They had a pretty good season last year. But I can’t remember going into a Championship game and it not being a scrap. It will be a hard game. No doubt about it.

Millwall where you management career started​
    All the clubs I’ve played for or managed, all have a place in my heart, but I play against them, I want to slap them.

We’re professionals. I loved my time there and I’ll always be grateful for them giving me my chance to become a coach. I love going down there. When I go down there to watch games it’s great. I live in the area, but there will be no favours given.

Reactions to taking the knee - Millwall booed​
    I have an input on every decision I do. If I didn’t think it was worth respecting I wouldn't do it. Quite clearly I do, and so do the players. I remember at Bournemouth and they didn't do it, so I checked with my team and they still wanted to do it, as long as they want to do it we’ll continue to do it.

More on Millwall​
    It’s a great club. I still see Millwall fans and get on great with them. I wouldn't want it to change. Our club has a certain spirit and there’s too.

Fire and brimstone is every week in the Championship. It’s not just because Millwall are coming here. They’ll be coming here for a scrap. If you don’t want to scrap in the Championship, you’ve got to be prepared to win the fight.

I get the impression that Mick really rates Isaak Davies, always mentions him

tough game this, thinking we will lose this one

Tomlin's absence is dragging on. Am beginning to wonder if we'll see him again in a City shirt.

McCarthy is a Marxist.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Tomlin's absence is dragging on. Am beginning to wonder if we'll see him again in a City shirt.
    Mick said today (in the pre-Millwall press conference) that Tomlin had been ill earlier in the week and he hadn't seen him. But Tomlin was clearly shown on the pre-Millwall training clip of the club website yesterday - jogging about by himself and 'looking on'.

I expect to see a few cameos during the season - but I can't see him as a regular starter.

McCarthy is a Marxist.
    ��
    Comrade Mick is taking absolutely the right stance with the knee.

Shame Gary Rowett won't do the same - or even comment on Millwall fans booing it. His response midweek was pathetic!

McCarthy is a Marxist.
    ��

Surely Moore will start tomorrow. Possibly Colwill 'n all.

It'll be 1-1 anyway. Always is against them lot.

Last 7....

18 Apr 2015 Cardiff City v Millwall D 0-0 League Championship
    28 Oct 2017 Cardiff City v Millwall D 0-0 League Championship
    09 Feb 2018 Millwall v Cardiff City D 1-1 League Championship
    22 Oct 2019 Millwall v Cardiff City D 2-2 League Championship
    26 Dec 2019 Cardiff City v Millwall D 1-1 League Championship
    21 Nov 2020 Millwall v Cardiff City D 1-1 League Championship
    30 Jan 2021 Cardiff City v Millwall D 1-1 League Championship

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Comrade Mick is taking absolutely the right stance with the knee.

Shame Gary Rowett won't do the same - or even comment on Millwall fans booing it. His response midweek was pathetic!
    MM seems to be a decent, honest guy, which is more can be said for our former manager.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Surely Moore will start tomorrow. Possibly Colwill 'n all.

It'll be 1-1 anyway. Always is against them lot.
    Yes, Moore will start, but perhaps one or two more changes, Sang for Ng and either Harris or Colwill for Bacuna.

Yes, Moore will start, but perhaps one or two more changes, Sang for Ng and either Harris or Colwill for Bacuna.
    Bacuna is a 'shoe - in' to start - not sure why, but he is.

Interesting test this game. First chance this year to assess how we do against an established Championship team.
    It’s kind of the bench mark we can’t really afford to fall below so let’s hope it doesn’t look hard for our new squad - might well be alright I think.

What a lovely morning, forecast all day as well. I trust the club will be pulling the awnings out over the turnstile approaches

Match day is best day

Home against winless Millwall. Got to win this and keep the momentum going.

But I swear on all that is holy, if I see Kieffer's not starting I will cry. Give us 90 mins of him and Giles together and we will take over this league.

Match facts

• The last seven Championship matches between Cardiff City and Millwall have ended as a draw, with both games ending 1-1 last season. Only five previous fixtures in Football League history have seen eight consecutive draws, most recently Brentford vs Notts County between 2007 and 2012.
    • Millwall are winless in eight away league matches against Cardiff (D6 L2) since a 1-0 win February 2005 in which there were three red cards.
    • Cardiff have only lost three of their 26 matches in all competitions under Mick McCarthy (W12 D11) and avoided defeat despite being two goals behind at Peterborough, drawing 2-2, the second time they’ve come from 2+ goals down under McCarthy to draw 2-2, also doing so against Barnsley in January.
    • Millwall have only won five of their last 37 away Football League matches in Wales (D19 L13) and scored just six times in their last 11 visits there (W1 D6 L4).
    • Cardiff manager Mick McCarthy hasn’t lost any of his last seven home matches in all competitions against former club Millwall (W5 D2) since a 1-0 defeat at the Stadium of Light as Sunderland boss in August 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Match day is best day

Home against winless Millwall. Got to win this and keep the momentum going.

But I swear on all that is holy, if I see Kieffer’s not starting I will cry. Give us 90 mins of him and Giles together and we will take over this league.

They’re keeping him out of the shop window, until it shuts next week

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    They’re keeping him out of the shop window, until it shuts next week
    Oh wow I never thought of that but it really could be the case! I'd cry even more if we sold him.

They're still waiting for it to come back with the elasticated sides.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    They're still waiting for it to come back with the elasticated sides.
    Ouch!

Think it will be a very physical battle. City possibly by the odd goal with a bit of luck.

Probably add to the string of no scoring games against Millwall that we've played out (have we had more 0-0 games against a club?).

Hoping Jed Wallace is not on form as he is one player who could dictate in this game and one I would have liked to see City sign. If he plays well then Millwall play well. Cracking little player at this level with a goal or two in his locker.