+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Language In Trouble

Welsh Language In Trouble

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...Oma?li=BBoPWjQ

The Arts Council of Wales is “systemically racist”, according to a report it commissioned itself, which says Welsh language requirements exclude minorities.*

The publicly funded body commissioned £51,000 worth of research which branded the organisation’s policies “racist”, along with those of National Museums Wales, a conclusion both bodies have accepted.

Re: Welsh Language In Trouble

They are/were in trouble but have now recognised and accepted need to change.

Others haven't realised the trouble they're in.

I sent both of my girls to Welsh school against my parents voiced concerns (both staunch catholic’s- I’m lapsed) and they are fluent to which I am so proud
    My daughter is having her first baby in a few months and has already said her son will definitely be going to Welsh school
    The Welsh schools locally are over subscribed which is great news
    As for the racist claims
    Both my girls years had many black/Asian/African kids in their respective school years
    My daughter who is black played Mary two years running in the Christmas nativity play in primary 😀😀👍

International

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I sent both of my girls to Welsh school against my parents voiced concerns (both staunch catholic’s- I’m lapsed) and they are fluent to which I am so proud
    My daughter is having her first baby in a few months and has already said her son will definitely be going to Welsh school
    The Welsh schools locally are over subscribed which is great news
    As for the racist claims
    Both my girls years had many black/Asian/African kids in their respective school years
    My daughter who is black played Mary two years running in the Christmas nativity play in primary ������
    I would think that in reality Mary was probably closer to 'black' than 'white' but I can't see the significance of your parents being catholic in relation to a welsh speking school. It alludes me.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I would think that in reality Mary was probably closer to 'black' than 'white' but I can't see the significance of your parents being catholic in relation to a welsh speking school. It alludes me.
    Maybe his patents wanted his kids to go to a Catholic school, that's how i read it.

Well was that £51k good value for the tax payer?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Maybe his patents wanted his kids to go to a Catholic school, that's how i read it.
    Ah true. I didnt look at it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well was that £51k good value for the tax payer?
    Desperate for a bite

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Desperate for a bite
    He wants to get on the green bins thread, that's where it's happening.

If you actually read the report, most of the findings relate to areas other than Welsh language requirements.

Some of the report recommendations make sense, some seem utterly bonkers to me.

My feelings about the Welsh language are well known and unpopular with plastic Taffs and idiots who’ve learned it in classes run by trendy tossers.
    However , of course it’s not racist and if any silly bastard doesn’t like it , tough shit.

Frankly it’s insufficient as a means of expressing yourself properly and redundant in the modern world , but it’s what my older relatives spoke and it’s our culture.

Is my culture and an organisation which wants to preserve it offensive to stupid people?
    Guess how much I give a toss. For better or worse it’s true.

As an English speaking Welsh man I am ashamed that Welsh people are still thinking Welsh is a dead language not worth saving.
    My 6 year old grandson is in the Welsh stream at junior school and I am very proud of his ability to speak Welsh, albeit limited at the moment. Hopefully He will benefit in many ways in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He wants to get on the green bins thread, that's where it's happening.
    Why did you post that? Now I so want to look on the green bins thread. *be strong Citizen*

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    As an English speaking Welsh man I am ashamed that Welsh people are still thinking Welsh is a dead language not worth saving.
    My 6 year old grandson is in the Welsh stream at junior school and I am very proud of his ability to speak Welsh, albeit limited at the moment. Hopefully He will benefit in many ways in the years to come.

No, you’re alright mate, honestly.
    No saving or sympathy required. I speak on behalf of many generations of quite hard and practical men who spoke WELSH as a mother tongue long before loads of incomers came to the south east and their grandchildren started learning this new version where you add “io”, at the end of English words and make up stupid spellings like Ambwlans.

The old people knew very well that it was an old language mainly for farming talk and they wanted their kids to learn modern languages and be able to travel and succeed in the wider world.

Yes it’s good that some people preserve it but it’s a museum piece and a nice bit of culture not an alternative to English or other major languages in which we can communicate with millions.

The real Welsh people are not victims who need protection from the bad English racists. Trust me they’ll look out for themselves and no doubt there’ll be a few who might fall back on a bit of Welsh between themselves, but whilst I DO appreciate your nice intent there, it’s really not needed thanks.

Banned

Is there actually any real worth in learning the welsh language anymore guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Why did you post that? Now I so want to look on the green bins thread. *be strong Citizen*
    The rebrand from the traditional dustbin nearly finished me......Tan out

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    You’d understand the substitutions down the City before anybody else

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The main bunch of friends that I have in Cardiff all went to the same Catholic schools, which didn't teach Welsh at all. I have no idea if this most minimal sample is representive in any way (most probably not) but one of them has learned Welsh intensively during Lockdown and without the dribs and drabs that some us remember from learning it in infants, junior and secondary schools.

Yeah probably but only in the same way as Latin or Occitan. Stupid affectation to try and use it as a lingua Franca.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The main bunch of friends that I have in Cardiff all went to the same Catholic schools, which didn't teach Welsh at all. I have no idea if this most minimal sample is representive in any way (most probably not) but one of them has learned Welsh intensively during Lockdown and without the dribs and drabs that some us remember from learning it in infants, junior and secondary schools.
    Same here, we were more likely to sing ‘Hail Glorious St Patrick, Dear Saint Of Our Isle’ than Sospan Fach. 1960s Catholic education had no place for Welshness, plenty of Emerald Isle influence though, as was home life.

My experience of being educated through a Catholic system wasn’t good
    You are taught through repetition
    Constantly reciting prayers in many of the assemblies each day with non compliance resulting in violence - we were assaulted with the cane from the headmaster for not attending church and suffered beatings from “Dai the Dap” from the Deputy head Mr Connors
    How people say school years were the best years is laughable

Welsh education all the way 👍

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    My feelings about the Welsh language are well known and unpopular with plastic Taffs and idiots who’ve learned it in classes run by trendy tossers.
    However , of course it’s not racist and if any silly bastard doesn’t like it , tough shit.

Frankly it’s insufficient as a means of expressing yourself properly and redundant in the modern world , but it’s what my older relatives spoke and it’s our culture.

Is my culture and an organisation which wants to preserve it offensive to stupid people?
    Guess how much I give a toss. For better or worse it’s true.
    Why is someone a 'plastic Taff' f they decide to learn Welsh? For someone who has a superior intellect (in your opinion) you come out with some ludicrous generalisations.
    By the way, considering the fact that you are such a free thinker did you not question the nonsense peddled by your Grammar School teacher regarding language that is widely accepted as being archaic rather than the correct version they claimed it to be?

I’m not pro Welsh Language by any stretch but what a load of rubbish

Nope. But there’s loads of things in the world that are pointless but still worth doing

Footballs a easy one. Is there a point of having a Welsh football team when there’s teams over the bridge to support

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Same here, we were more likely to sing ‘Hail Glorious St Patrick, Dear Saint Of Our Isle’ than Sospan Fach. 1960s Catholic education had no place for Welshness, plenty of Emerald Isle influence though, as was home life.
    It was a bit like that in the eighties. Absolutely no Welsh in my Catholic school. French and Spanish. It's changed now though, and Catholic schools have been teaching Welsh for a long time.