+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welsh Language In Trouble

Re: Welsh Language In Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I've bought books from Amazon and use anything I can get free online as well as the free version of Duolingo (there's an iPhone App). The hardest part is the alphabet - I'm great if everything is upper case but rubbish still with lower case letters!

Read and Speak Greek for Beginners with Audio CD, 2nd Edition (Read & Speak for Beginners)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greek Script Hacking: The optimal pathway to learn the Greek alphabet (Teach Yourself)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Go for it! 10 mins a day is better than nothing at all. Good luck!

Oh, and I read somewhere recently that the most popular language learned on Duolingo is Welsh! Mrs CN uses it and loves it.
    Thanks, alphabet has always been my biggest barrier! I'll give some or these a go.

Also re: Welsh and Duolingo... It was (maybe still is) the fastest growing language by number of learners, rather the most popular language. Still, pretty impressive stat.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    As mentioned earlier not a advocate of the welsh language (my partner teaches in a welsh medium school though) but Welsh speakers have been rising year on year for quite a while
    Yes they are trying to take over other schools in cardiff too. The council are being given grants so Welsh places get them more funds than English ones….they won’t admit this but I know people who work there which is the sole reason for encouraging the pointless language.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yes they are trying to take over other schools in cardiff too. The council are being given grants so Welsh places get them more funds than English ones….they won’t admit this but I know people who work there which is the sole reason for encouraging the pointless language.
    it's the language I speak to my mum, my dad, my sister, my friends from home. It's the language I spoke to my grandparents when they were still alive, as did my parents, it's the language I speak to my little nieces now. So who the hell are you to decide it's pointless?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    it's the language I speak to my mum, my dad, my sister, my friends from home. It's the language I spoke to my grandparents when they were still alive, as did my parents, it's the language I speak to my little nieces now. So who the hell are you to decide it's pointless?
    I was going to explain…..but it’s pointless