+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 BRIGHTON. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 BRIGHTON. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Tend to agree. We could and should have scored. It’s worrying that Brighton’s kids snuffed out our arial threat, that Collins doesn’t look like he can hit a bull with a banjo no yes I feel Vaulks is trying too hard and seems a very frustrated figure. The stewards’ display was lamentable.
    I thought I might've been the only one who has wondered about Collins but I thought he was poor and should have stepped up tonight. Brighton had done their homework and yes, we couldn't exploit our height advantage in the first half when we had a load of corners and Morrison was still on.

Vaulks' body language is poor and I agree he looks frustrated - his corners towards the end weren't great. We should have scored a couple tonight.

The stewarding was scarily bad.

One of the funniest football matches I've ever been to. Bowen did ok, we probably should have scored, better team won.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Will we get three fines for each idiot who ran on the pitch or one collective fine? The one actually took two selfies with City players, obviously, they’ll be banned but will the club be hit for lax stewarding? Although if a fan jumps over the barrier on a whim with no steward near, what’s to stop him?
    The stewarding was piss poor, you'd think that after one guy's done it they'd be more alert to it

The third guy seemed to fall flat on his face as he hurdled his way ack into the stand, so it'll be a few aches and pains as well as a banning order for him

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Didn't think it was a bad game. Nice to see Bowen and D’Almeida, who looked useful. Felt sorry for NG, shunted out of position again and struggled as a result at times. They had too much pace for us in the middle of the pitch but we could/should have scored towards the end. Idiot pitch invaders will hopefully get banned for life and could cost the club a lot of money. The one who was taking selfies with the players was a particular moron.
    I thought the first one was you running on to celebrate us almost selling out all the merchandise in the club shop...

If City get hit by a fine, could they take those 3 idiots to a civil court to squeeze them for every penny they've got ? Just a thought.

I was shocked about how slow the stewards were to react, the first guy got on did his thing and still no steward got to him, the selfie guy was even worse, how can a guy run halfway across the pitch and have the time to pose for a selfie with Moore, then casually jog over to Colwill for another selfie, it then took Vaulks to jog over to usher him off the pitch. Once off the pitch every steward then decides to finally do their jobs, and whats to add about the third guy, epic fail when he face planted himself after trying to jump back into the canton. Some questions need to be asked of the stewarding, the reaction from them was awful.

I think Collins will come good, he’s been a hairs breadth away from a goal on at least 3 occasions, it’s just not going in for him. I’ve he gets a bit more luck he’ll bag a few I reckon.

We had 13 shots, 11 of which were from open play - I saw precisely zero minutes of the match so it's difficult to say with any confidence, but it seems as though we had enough chances to score.

PLayer ratings on whoscored were as follows:
    Smithies 6.0
    Nelson 6.5
    Flint 7.4
    Morrison 6.1

D'Almeida 6.5
    Ng 6.8

Bowen 6.3
    Vulks 6.9
    Wintle 6.6

Murphy 6.1
    Collins 6.6

Some random stats that may or may not mean anything.

Flint again won an impressive 10 aerial duels, 4 clearances, and had 4 shots (2 on target) which is probably why they've rated him as our best player.

Ng also had 4 shots

Wintle made the most tackles, but also had the least touches of any of the outfield players who lasted the full 90

Bowen had the best pass accuracy at 87.5%, followed by D'Almeida.

We made hardly any successful dribbles 2 in the entire game compared to Brighton's 11 - I think this has been a feature of a few of our games this season - we don't really have many players who beat their man.

This was a very young Brighton side, 7 teenagers were involved at some point for them and the oldest player other than the keeper was 23 (who they replaced with a 16 year old on 80 minutes!) We probably should have been getting a bit more out of this game.

Composed Brighton expose Cardiff limitations on and off the pitch.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

At 31, the goalkeeper Jason Steele was the eldest player in the starting lineup and the average age of the outfield players in front of him was just 20, while Evan Ferguson, 16, was brought on for his debut late on.

the Poland midfielder Moder coolly slotted in after latching on to a wonderful pass by Enock Mwepu, an £18m summer signing from Red Bull Salzburg who was arguably the game’s outstanding player.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other
    I've spoken before about needing resources to change style of play quickly and Brighton having i) a fantastic youth set-up producing at the right time and ii) 18million to spend on player from Red Bull Salzburg is the best example of that.

I know TLG has said it was a very small crowd last night (and was against Sutton as well) but I think we've used this cup competition well this year. Slightly disappointing we had such a tough second round draw and couldn't give our youth more minutes with another fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by hueypianosmith View Post
    I was shocked about how slow the stewards were to react, the first guy got on did his thing and still no steward got to him, the selfie guy was even worse, how can a guy run halfway across the pitch and have the time to pose for a selfie with Moore, then casually jog over to Colwill for another selfie, it then took Vaulks to jog over to usher him off the pitch. Once off the pitch every steward then decides to finally do their jobs, and whats to add about the third guy, epic fail when he face planted himself after trying to jump back into the canton. Some questions need to be asked of the stewarding, the reaction from them was awful.
    Maybe we need some rugby players amongst the stewards who can dart across and tackle the morons before they get going. The Millennium Stadium had "streaker squads" once upon a time (maybe they still do) trained to nip any invasion in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We had 13 shots, 11 of which were from open play - I saw precisely zero minutes of the match so it's difficult to say with any confidence, but it seems as though we had enough chances to score.

PLayer ratings on whoscored were as follows:
    Smithies 6.0
    Nelson 6.5
    Flint 7.4
    Morrison 6.1

D'Almeida 6.5
    Ng 6.8

Bowen 6.3
    Vulks 6.9
    Wintle 6.6

Murphy 6.1
    Collins 6.6

Some random stats that may or may not mean anything.

Flint again won an impressive 10 aerial duels, 4 clearances, and had 4 shots (2 on target) which is probably why they've rated him as our best player.

Ng also had 4 shots

Wintle made the most tackles, but also had the least touches of any of the outfield players who lasted the full 90

Bowen had the best pass accuracy at 87.5%, followed by D'Almeida.

We made hardly any successful dribbles 2 in the entire game compared to Brighton's 11 - I think this has been a feature of a few of our games this season - we don't really have many players who beat their man.

This was a very young Brighton side, 7 teenagers were involved at some point for them and the oldest player other than the keeper was 23 (who they replaced with a 16 year old on 80 minutes!) We probably should have been getting a bit more out of this game.
    How do they compile those ratings? I and others around me thought Vaulks was the worst of the midfielders by a distance

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    How do they compile those ratings? I and others around me thought Vaulks was the worst of the midfielders by a distance
    I have no idea, I presume as the site is generally based around logging "events" i,e, passes, tackles etc that the ratings are based around that.
    I think Vaulks had a fairly high number of "key passes" and a lot of "crosses" against his name, which probably bumped his numbers up.
    It is entirely plausible that you can do that and also have a bad game though.

It also says he had the highest number of mis-controls though (3 - tied with Colwill) although obviously some balls are a lot easier to control than others.

There website makes a note of action points: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...rdiff-Brighton

Apparently Vaulks had second most passes, fifth best passing accuracy and most key passes. It's an interesting tool but limited when used in isolation and I definitely want more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Composed Brighton expose Cardiff limitations on and off the pitch.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    I assume Tom Davies was injured or MMc wanted to see D'Almeida in action. Shame he couldn't play in his usual position although maybe they think he isn't up to Def Mid for the first team and were trying him somewhere else. Was glad Bowen wasn't stuck out there though and got a game in the centre. On last night's showing he should be ahead of Wintle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I assume Tom Davies was injured or MMc wanted to see D'Almeida in action. Shame he couldn't play in his usual position although maybe they think he isn't up to Def Mid for the first team and were trying him somewhere else. Was glad Bowen wasn't stuck out there though and got a game in the centre. On last night's showing he should be ahead of Wintle.
    But, as far as McCarthy is concerned, he sees the Frenchman's future out on the flank rather than in midfield.

"He has been a midfield player but he played right back in the under-23s there up at West Brom, I went up to watch and I thought he was excellent," McCarthy added.

"It really suits him."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...erent-21394904

Wing back is basically a midfield position, so I don't think it is too much of a stretch to play him there.
    It's basically a wide box-box midfielder

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Wing back is basically a midfield position, so I don't think it is too much of a stretch to play him there.
    It's basically a wide box-box midfielder
    He's not a not a box to box midfielder based on what I've seen of him over the past two years.

Glad the reviews of Bowen are tending to be positive.

He's not a not a box to box midfielder based on what I've seen of him over the past two years.
    yeah that's fair

Looking back at the Peterborough game, Curtis Nelson scored higher in passing stats and defensive stats but Flint had a higher rating by 1.91 on Whoscored.

Attacker's bias? Game changing events bias?

Looking at their stats for the Millwall game, the Millwall keeper faced 4 more shots only and all of those were off target. Their best rated defender was the same as our worst.

Outcome bias?

poor touch from vaulks for the second one

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Vaulks was at fault for both goals. Seems to have got the hump that he hasn’t been involved in the league. Not putting the graft in that he usually gives. Let’s be honest apart from long throw and running about he don’t give the team much - he certainly can’t pass the ball - so if he’s not going to put in the graft what does he offer?

Glad the reviews of Bowen are tending to be positive.

My dad went last night, and he can be quite critical, but he reckons he was easily Cardiff’s best midfielder and anything good in the spells Cardiff were on top come through Bowen.

He was very impressed with Brighton.