+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good result today but...

Re: Good result today but...

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I honestly hate this attitude. Obviously it's nicer winning, and the aim of the game IS to win, but why can't we enjoy the game in between?

I gave up 2 ST in the Premier league, I gave the tickets out to friends to take their kids, because my daughter refused to go, because Cardiff play awful football.

If we played something easier on the eye, maybe me and my daughter would have a lifelong hobbie watching the bluebirds.. Something we can do together.
    What's wrong with wanting that? I'd love an honest answer off one of the "I don't care if we hoof it as long as we win" side of our support.
    Took my load today and had a fantastic day. The football is a tiny part of it. Neither of us could give the tiniest shit about the style. No idea why anyone else cared to be honest. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's a difficult position to play in, especially in a back three, or 5 when defending. It's not like the old days of a back 4, flat fullbacks whose job it was to stop the opponent and very little else. Bagan is in a position where on times, he wont have anyone to pick up, then in a flash, he'll have two or three players coming down his side. And like you said, he has to push into midfield as the system just wont work. Difficult to know when and when not to go, and if we get turned quickly or the opposition allow players to get forward on the counter, it can be very difficult. I think it was against Barnsley, Coillins was ball watching so bagan decided to push in for him while a Barnsley defender made a run from deep which resulted in a goal. Bagan should've probably stayed in his position, but collins sold him a pup. All Bagan was guilty of was compensating for Collins switching off.
    Even at amateur league level my mates say its easy to look bad, get sold down the river a lot etc. Got to push on and trust that someone will drop in and cover for you etc etc.. He will grow into it, anyone with eues can see the lad has talent, unfortunately not all football fans think before having idiotic opinions ans shouting nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Took my load today and had a fantastic day. The football is a tiny part of it. Neither of us could give the tiniest shit about the style. No idea why anyone else cared to be honest. Sorry
    That's up to you, no need to be sorry for having an opinion.

My point is, she won't go because it was shit. So she did care, and now we don't do it, she loved the day out from the early breakfast then the train down, wander about the city may have food or meet in the pubs for a bit of atmosphere then get the train back and have a takeaway etc. She loved the day out, just didn't like the football.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bagan has improved with each game
    I thought he was very poor on Tuesday.

That's up to you, no need to be sorry for having an opinion.

My point is, she won't go because it was shit. So she did care, and now we don't do it, she loved the day out from the early breakfast then the train down, wander about the city may have food or meet in the pubs for a bit of atmosphere then get the train back and have a takeaway etc. She loved the day out, just didn't like the football.
    My son and daughter have both moved away from Cardiff now but three of us used to go to games together. Often, the football spoilt a good day out.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    My son and daughter have both moved away from Cardiff now but three of us used to go to games together. Often, the football spoilt a good day out.
    Its a shame really. I have to go shopping and stuff now instead.

Its a shame really. I have to go shopping and stuff now instead.
    I just go the football on my own, but it's not the same.

We missed our chance or a different style of play. Then you look at Sheffield United and wonder.

I'll be honest, I've never gone away from a win unhappy and rarely gone away from a loss Happy. Style for me is an issue more about when we have got promoted. You look at someone like Brentford and think they are closer to something to look to.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I just go the football on my own, but it's not the same.
    I'd love to, but I have her on weekends so I'd have to leave her to go to the football, which obviously defeats the object of having her. I'll leave her with my mother or someone if I've got to work, but I won't leave her to go on a jolly to the football.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    We missed our chance or a different style of play. Then you look at Sheffield United and wonder.

I'll be honest, I've never gone away from a win unhappy and rarely gone away from a loss Happy. Style for me is an issue more about when we have got promoted. You look at someone like Brentford and think they are closer to something to look to.
    I don't think we need wholesale changes, certainly not a complete change, just be nice to see the players play a bit and not treat the ball like a hot potato!!

If the ultimate goal is to either:

a) establish ourselves at the highest level, and/or
    b) develop players who go on to establish themselves at the highest level

Then style of play is important.

If the ultimate goal is instead c) to win a one off game then style of play doesn't mean anything.

Don't think many are asking to break fully from being physical side good at set-pieces but we desperately need more in our locker so, despite not being best players on the pitch yesterday, Mick trusting youth who are better on the ball is a good thing.

Wintle(?) in for Ralls and the Flint with Morrison show for 20 minutes with one coming off the bench would speed up our passing no end. Something to aim for towards end of the season as Wintle (or another) and McGuinness have had chance to get used to this level - this is partly a transition season.

1) results over performance every single time for me.

2) I think we play some good stuff sometimes. It’s rare. But it does happen. And that’s enough to keep me happy as long as 1) is still happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

2) I think we play some good stuff sometimes. It’s rare. But it does happen. And that’s enough to keep me happy as long as 1) is still happening.
    The "super-Warnock" team we were left with isn't/wasn't good enough for promotion from Championship and Warnock has never survived a premier league season playing his style of play.

Saying you don't care about style, results only means you're happy for us to go from relegation to 5th (really it was joint 6th we were so far off once getting into play-offs) to 8th to...

Mick has recognised we need to develop but if he hadn't we could be a midtable club this year and lower next as other teams progress.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Mad how people can watch the same game and see different things. Sang and Bagan for me were decent but have plenty to learn, Colwill was anonymous first half but seemed to gain the confidence to play 2nd half. Harris was one of our best players I thought, the only one in a City shirt causing them problems 1st half
    Crazy ain’t it! I saw a lot of effort from Harris but little result and definitely no problems being caused. I’d still start him over Bacuna though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He played what was admittedly something of a hospital pass to Nelson in the first half which was scrambled clear and a few around by me had a go at him, but I saw a young kid trying to play some football in a game where barely any was being seen and yet there were fans criticising him for not whacking it up the pitch - it was all a bit depressing.
    Saw the same thing as you Bob. He’s got my backing and I really hope we don’t ruin him.

I agree that, when it comes down to brass tacks, result takes priority over performance foe me. However, at many other clubs, you can get both - they seem to be accepted as being mutually exclusive by many City fans.

Flints 2nd goal is great football. Superb cross great header.

I posted after the Barnsley game that the game was painful to watch - it was just dreadful football. The first half yesterday was much the same. Thankfully, things perked up later on, especially with the arrival or Giles.

I agree that, when it comes down to brass tacks, result takes priority over performance foe me. However, at many other clubs, you can get both - they seem to be accepted as being mutually exclusive by many City fans.
    Logic would dictate that different fans have different preferences.

Some love the blood and guts approach, with old fashioned center forward throwing himself at cross for winger ( usually Scottish ) hitting the byline.

Some prefer high press.

Some prefer the John Beck style.

Some prefer possession football.

There's no single way to win a football game. There are no bonus points for style - it's not gymnastics.

The

Is it many other clubs though? How many Fulhams are there in this league? Because looking at the teams we’ve played so far they haven’t exactly played us off the park. I can’t remember thinking “wow lovely football” at all.

Honest question because I don’t watch a lot of Championship football outside of City

Is it many other clubs though? How many Fulhams are there in this league? Because looking at the teams we’ve played so far they haven’t exactly played us off the park. I can’t remember thinking “wow lovely football” at all.

Honest question because I don’t watch a lot of Championship football outside of City
    Name some sides that go out week in, week out to play in a manner that is as hard to watch as ours is. When was the last time we won a game where the description “winning ugly” didn’t apply?

We played well within the parameters we set for ourselves at Blackpool, but it was hardly entertaining - efficient is a better way of describing it.

Of the teams we’ve played, Barnsley, who were thought of as very direct last season, produced inter passing in the final third that we could only dream of matching and Peterborough had individuals in attacking areas and forward movement that bettered anything we could offer on those fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Logic would dictate that different fans have different preferences.

Some love the blood and guts approach, with old fashioned center forward throwing himself at cross for winger ( usually Scottish ) hitting the byline.

Some prefer high press.

Some prefer the John Beck style.

Some prefer possession football.

There's no single way to win a football game. There are no bonus points for style - it's not gymnastics.

The
    None of which has got anything to do with what I said in the post you replied to - why do some City fans argue that it’s virtually impossible to have points and performance when there are plenty of teams around the country that achieve it every weekend?

None of which has got anything to do with what I said in the post you replied to - why do some City fans argue that it’s virtually impossible to have points and performance when there are plenty of teams around the country that achieve it every weekend.
    Logic indicates that one person's "performance" differs from another. It's a subjective issue, not objective.

Are there examples of people arguing it's impossible to get results and perform in a way people find acceptable?

Name some sides that go out week in, week out to play in a manner that is as hard to watch as ours is. When was the last time we won a game where the description “winning ugly” didn’t apply?

We played well within the parameters we set for ourselves at Blackpool, but it was hardly entertaining - efficient is a better way of describing it.

Of the teams we’ve played, Barnsley, who were thought of as very direct last season, produced inter passing in the final third that we could only dream of matching and Peterborough had individuals in attacking areas and forward movement that bettered anything we could offer on those fronts.
    I’ll put it down to you being able to see things in football that I can’t see. Because I believe we have scored similar goals to Barnsley and Peterborough in the past and will score similar goals again. I promise you I do not dream of being as good as Peterborough.

I’ll put it down to you being able to see things in football that I can’t see. Because I believe we have scored similar goals to Barnsley and Peterborough in the past and will score similar goals again. I promise you I do not dream of being as good as Peterborough.
    More often the exception rather than the rule. Or however the saying goes..